Media Write error, caused by bad media

vbimport

I have been using the same DVD media from the start, but ever since I upgraded to teh latest version of CloneDVD I get these errors a lot. “Writing to media was not successful: media write error. A write error has occurred, probably caused by bad media. Please replace the media and try again”

I even uninstalled the latest version and went back toan old version adn still the same errors. I usually go through 3-4 DVD’s for each DVD I try adn copy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

You say you began having problems when you upgraded to latest Clonedvd, yet when you go back to the earlier version the problem is still there. I would tend to rule out that the cause is CloneDVD but rather your media.
I know you said you have always used that media, but quite often there are bad lots especially with low quality media. What media are you using?

Maxell. But you may be right. I will try another brand too. I am going to try BenQ. Maybe not buy 100, but only 25 or so. This way they won’t sit around for too long. Would that make a difference?

Well, I too was using Maxell until recently, because for ages Maxell (some Maxell) was using TY dye, but alas some months back for cost reasons Maxell switched away from TY to other manufacturers - Ritek being one I believe.

Luckily, thanks to a CDFreaks member giving a heads up, we found out about a place in the UK that sells Fuji media with TY dye (aprmedia.co.uk), I switched to these - must be one of the most popular premium items of media used in Europe and USA/Canada - judging by posts saying how great this media is. Actually, for once, such great top-quality media is not that expensive, about £6.30+vat+pp. Nice eh :slight_smile:

Perhaps you too have been using Maxell but now the actual Dye is different - be useful to check and post the MID codes, + hub code is possible.

Ya, but do they ship to canada?

Maxell is good media but I never heard of BenQ producing media, drives yes, media no. Try to pick up a small pack of 10 of FujiFilm Media 8x, but it must be Made in Japan, not Taiwan. That will be Tayio Yuden (Made in Japan only) considered to be the best. The stuff Made In Taiwan is not Tayio Yuden.
I don’t know if you have Best Buy stores in Canada, but here in the USA you can get the 10 packs.

If that doesn’t solve the problem you have other issues, like adding software that you didn’t have when the program was working properly.

You said
?[/QUOTE]
“This way they won’t sit around for too long. Would that make a difference”

Should make no difference with quality media, but heard horror stories about the cheap stuff. A disk that worked fine 6 months ago no longer plays because the dye deteriorated. Use common sense when storing, away from heat and humidity.

verbatim +r and +r dl are really great also

hi guys i am new to here i am having the same problems ive been burning with clone dvd for over a year and all of a sudden this bad medium things happening i had cheap dvdrs so i bought tdk the funny thing is i tried to trick my comp and uses the cheap ones ( theat didnt work befor) but now they work it seems to be everyone 2nd time u burn it works any thoughts ??

Hello Folks,

DVD media manufactures continually tweak the dyes in their DVD media and if you are experiencing difficulty with your DVD media it is prudent to insure that your DVD burner has the latest firmware.

I suggest that you determine the current firmware of your DVD burner with a software utility similar to DVDInfo Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com/) and insure that you have the latest firmware available installed.

For information concerning your DVD burner firmware visit the Recording Hardware Forum at CD Freaks located at (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61). The folks at the CD Freaks Hardware Forum are very knowledgeable and have developed various firmwares that optimize the full potential of your DVD burner.

Best Regards,
bjkg

I am having the same problem all of a sudden, using TDK (richojpn R01) 3 coasters with BenQ 1620. I thought the problem is with my burner, I am having second thoughts. I am using clone DVD 2.7.5.1? No problem burning them with Nero at all.

i have used clone dvd 1 for well over a year no problem till now i dont think its the media i have the new nero cant even work out how to use it to burn cds well even dvds got any pointers ?

I have done some troubleshooting on my own and from suggestions on this thread and I think it boils down to the dyes put on by the manufacturers.

Why do they have to mess with the dyes, why not leave them alone? Who knows.

Are there still blank DVD’s sold in the US that don’t have these dyes so that the dye issue can be eliminated as a fault? Wasting every other blank DVD costs money.

Tazman

“This way they won’t sit around for too long. Would that make a difference”

Should make no difference with quality media, but heard horror stories about the cheap stuff. A disk that worked fine 6 months ago no longer plays because the dye deteriorated. Use common sense when storing, away from heat and humidity.[/QUOTE]

How are we supposed to know exactly where they are from, it dont say. can you give us the exact web address so we can find out. is it the one that has manufacture code fujifilm03.

dont worry found them and all ordered, so lets see how i get on wit these new discs, if all goes well then i will convert from datawrite although they are slightly cheaper

Hello Folks,

A little help in deciding which DVD media to use.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks DVD Recorder Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61) for your particular DVD Burner and see which DVD Media other Forum members have reported that work for them.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33) and see which DVD Media other Forum members have reported as good reliable DVD media.

Suggest visiting the Video Help DVD Media List (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia) and see what other users have reported about particular DVD Media.

Concerning the quality of DVD media. The adjective “You Only Get What You Pay For” fully applies to DVD media. If the price is cheap the quality is also probably cheap. Remember most dropouts, freezing, skipping and other related problems can be traced to cheap, inferior, substandard DVD media.

Some problems caused by poor DVD media can be overcome by taking a couple actions. Slow down your burning speed. Limit all background activity while Burning DVDs including Ant-Virus programs. Defragment your Hard Drive (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter). Check for Spyware by running Spybot-Search & Destroy (http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html)

Best Regards,
bjkg

bjkg,
Good post and sound advice. Buying cheap media costs more in the long run, I consider my time valuable, rather than doing it twice, I do it once with good media.
With the time saved I can work an extra hour at my employment and buy all the quality media I want and even take the wife to the movies.

i still say it wasnt the media in my case i lowered my speed to 2.2 and success its working the very same media that wasnt working before ??

It was the media in your case, I’m sure it’s rated to burn at least 4X, if you had to burn at 2X then the media is not as advertised.

I have had this error message with similar problems using CloneDVD ver 2.7.5.1 and I don’t think it is media related. The same media burns fine with PlexTools or Nero but I get the “Writing to media was not successful: media write error. A write error has occurred, probably caused by bad media. Please replace the media and try again” with Clone DVD two to three times before it burns a DVD. The DVDs that are burnt with the error message are coasters. The same media burns flawlessly in Nero and PlexTools at whatever speed I select, no errors. I definately think this is a Clone DVD issue.

@ divedr,

In seeing that your are using a version of CloneDVD that is over 4 months old and at least 5 updated versions have been release since the release of version 2.7.5.1 you are probably correct in your statement that you problem is a CloneDVD issue.

Suggest that you visit SlySoft (http://www.slysoft.com) and download the latest versions of AnyDVD-CloneDVD and see if this corrects your problem.

Best Regards,
bjkg