Media used with good results

vbimport

The approved list that came with in the box and the list available on the Liteon website have mainly 4x and 2x media. Nearly everything available in the stores is 8x. Here is a list of DVD’s with their specs and speeds that I have used at least 25 of each (except the dvd+rw’s, I only bought a 10 pack)successfully.

My LiteOn US LVW-5005A specs - mrf date Sep '04 with serial number from the setup screen 0102-1840-0098-g2bd-005-010d) the 005 was 105 until I did the region free hack with the remote other than that right now it is not modded.

Info obtained using K-Probe on my LiteOn 832S (VSOG) or 1633S (BSOS)

[font=Arial]MEMOREX 8X DVD-R not on list
Disc Type DVD-R

Book Type DVD-R

Manufacturer Prodisc Technology Inc.

Media ID ProdiscF01

Protection System None

Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Capacity 4.38 GB

Free Size 4.35 GB

Free Blocks 2282000

Number of Layers 1

Linear Density 0.267 um/bit

Track Density 0.74 um/track

Maximum Read Speed 3.2x

Maximum Write Speed 8.0x

Current Write Speed 8.0x CLV

Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV

Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV

Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 4.0x CLV

Write Speed Performance Descriptor 4 2.0x CLV

HP 8X DVD- R not on list
Disc Type DVD-R

Book Type DVD-R

Manufacturer CMC Magnetics Corp

Media ID CMC MAG. AE1

Protection System None

Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Capacity 4.38 GB

Free Size 4.38 GB

Free Blocks 2297888

Number of Layers 1

Maximum Read Speed 3.2x

Maximum Write Speed 8.0x

CAME WITH LVW 5005 and MEMOREX DVD+RW
Disc Type DVD+RW

Book Type DVD+RW

Manufacturer Ricoh Company Limited

Media ID RICOHJPNW11

Protection System None

Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Format Capacity 4.38 GB

Formatted Yes

Capacity 4.38 GB

Free Size 4.38 GB

Free Blocks 2295104

Number of Layers 1

Maximum Read Speed 8.0x

Maximum Write Speed 4.0x

Current Write Speed 4.0x CLV

Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 4.0x CLV

Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 2.4x CLV

HP 8X DVD+R and TDK 8x DVD+R on list
Disc Type DVD+R

Book Type DVD+R

Manufacturer CMC Magnetics Corp

Media ID CMC MAGE01

Protection System None

Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Capacity 4.38 GB

Free Size 4.38 GB

Free Blocks 2295104

Number of Layers 1

Maximum Read Speed 3.2x

Maximum Write Speed 8.0x

Write Speed Performance Descriptor 4 2.4x CLV

Taiyo Yuden not on list
Disc Type DVD-R

Book Type DVD-R

Manufacturer Taiyo Yuden Co.Limited

Media ID TYG02

Protection System None

Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Capacity 4.38 GB

Free Size 4.38 GB

Free Blocks 2298496

Number of Layers 1

Maximum Read Speed 3.2x

Maximum Write Speed 8.0x

[/font]

only ones I have had problems with are the store brands, compusa, ect. - but don’t know who makes for - some of the ones on this list, like the hp r-, have worked fine, maybe just lucky…

I’ve used Imation DVD+RW 4x (PHILIPS041) without problems so far.

I have had no problems with: TDK +R 4+, Sony +R 4+, Ridata -R 4+
Pop’s

I would have thought almost any disks would “work” with the Liteon 5005 but what about quaility. I would be interested in seeing some NERO DVD quality scans or even Plextor. I have previously posted such scans which are never any way near as good as scans for PC created DVDs.

Strange, the other day I bought 10 Ridatas DVD-R 4x and could only burn 5. The other ones weren’t recognized (Failed to prepare, Invalid disc, No disc, etc.)

I just had the opposite experience with DVD+R 4x (also Ridata) made by Ricoh. Works great with my LVW-5005.

I have tried ALL of jm’s listed media and none of them work reliably for me. In fact==the TY media fails reliably every time. As soon as the disk is taken out of the unit unfinalized, it becomes unreadable and it often fails before being taken out. My only fix is to put it into my 5045 unit and then it works 100% of the time (about 50 disks so far).

Like most issues I have with my unit it seems the dvd gods are rewarding us here on earth. Same unit works or doesn’t work quite reliably with different folks. Maybe I should return the unit and see if the next one will work?==Otherwise, I’m never going to get Deadwood on consecutive disks.

Liteon’s support staff is fairly good on the phone but I HATE IT when I am supposed to upgrade the firmware with blind faith and no knowledge.
Q==What does this update do?
A==It makes the unit play better with more media.
Q==What media does the unit now play better with?
A==We aren’t told here. or==the engineers are still testing this inhouse but the results can’t be posted.
Q==you mean you are now testing the software you have already posted for all of us to download and you don’t actually know what it fixes?
A==Yes.

Rats==btw, where can you buy Verbatim or Imation RW dvd’s? I cant find them except on line from the UK.///bobbo.

leaglebob - have faith and do the firmware updates for both your machines - everyone I have done has made it a better machine so far.

here is a link to a post I did that has the media table I extracted from my 5005 that has the latest firmware and system updates on it
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=960679&postcount=8

You should not be having that problem with your machine, I have used many different types including Tuffdisc and CMC overprints, Datawrite Classic Gray, TDK, and so on without problems. It sounds like a hardware fault rather than trying to see if a firmware update will fix it.

Are you in the UK? If so why do you seem reluctant to buy online when you will struggle to get anywhere near the price in the High Street?

I just got around to checking out the sale at staples. 50pk dvd + or - for $7.94 US. My local store substituted 25 pk of -r for the 50 pk because they were sold out, and it was the last 4 pks of 25 they had. I got 100 -r and 50 + r for $23.82

So far I burned about 3 of each total and the LiteOn 5005, 832s and 1633s love em.

The media code for the -r are fujifilm03 and for the +r cmcmage01

Sale ends 5-21-05

I have used some “cheap as crap” CompUSA media very successfully on my 5005. I recently bought a 100 disk spindle of 4x DVD+R media there for $14.95 (after $5.00 rebate). Following is the disk info from DVD Identifier.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:AML-001-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Anwell Precision Technology]
Manufacturer ID : [AML]
Media Type ID : [001]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I have not had any problems with this media on the 5005. It did not work on a Pioneer DVD burner (106D) in my PC, but that burner has known issues with +R media.

I forgot to mention these were the staples brand dvd’s. It was posted somewhere they were selling these under costs during their anniversary sale. Also they play fine in my 2 Apex 1225 and 2600 players. Also in friends players, I forget what mfr they have.
I went back yesterday and got 100 more each of the + and -. The 50 pk of +r I got the other day were made in Taiwan and - r in India. yesterday both the + and - I got were made in India. Needless to say I have the receipt in case the +r from India do not work very well.