Media type problem

Hello all, I’m new here and have searched the forums for my problem but can’t find a fix - I hope someone can help…

Under my old system no problem using nero 7.5.9 to burn a bajillion DVD+R discs, ISO, DVD-Video alike.

Now, new mobo, DVD burners, Nero 8, any time I try to burn ISOs or DVD-Video I get the dreaded error (I apologize for the caps - it’s a copy/paste).

SORRY YOUR COMPILATION CANNOT BE WRITTEN ON THIS KIND OF DISC. PLEASE INSERT A DISC OF THE CORRECT TYPE OR MODIFY THE SETTINGS OF YOUR COMPILATION TO MAKE IT COMPATIBLE WITH THE CURRENT DISC.

Thinking it was Nero 8, I switched back to Nero 7.5.9. No fix.
Thinking it was the drives, I bought new ones, Samsung SH-S203B. No fix.
Thinking it was the firmware, I checked Samsung - I’m up to date with SB01.
Thinking I must be missing something in the compilation settings, I dug and found no answer. I’m not burning ISOs that require UDF, and if I were I’m smart enough to know how to do that.

Just a plain old compilation with any kind of files on it, Nero demands DVD-R, when I want to use DVD+R. I have changed the motherboard and processor/ram, and installed a new OS, so it could be any of those things, but I don’t know how. There appears to be no “driver” per se from Samsung, just the XP driver. They show as SCSI in Device Manager and IDE inside Nero - they are in fact SATA, but I don’t know how any of that would affect the media type required.

Screenshots here:
Broken Link
Nero
Compilation.jpg
Burn.jpg
Screwed.jpg

Intel Core2 Duo 6600
eVGA 63 Mobo with nVidia 680i chipset
Corsair 4GB x 800Mhz
4 x 500GB WD HD
4 x 320GB WD HD
2 x 37GB WD Raptors

Many thanks in advance for your large brains.
LexF15

It clearly says “DVD-R”, not DVD+R.

So insert a DVD-R or DVD-RW and it should work.

Normally the 203 can deal with DVD± media of any kind, but either your drive is connected to a troubleing controller or some drives went crazy or some 3rd party software like ALCOHOL is also installed!

Thanks for the reply Chef. I know DVD-R works, my problem is that I have and use DVD+R on a regular basis and don’t want to switch simply because of a software problem. I do have alcohol 120 also installed but you didn’t indicate why that might be problematic.

On my previous system I had alcohol and this same version of Nero and all worked fine for DVD+R.

On this new system, I can’t get either my old optical drives, or these new 203’s to let me burn DVD+R. The old drives (on the new machine) were IDE through a PCI card, and the new drives are SATA through a controller card.

Are you suggesting I go direct to the mobo instead of the controller card?
How would uninstalling Alcohol affect the method of burning with Nero?

Thanks again for your help.

[QUOTE=LexF15;1951340]Thanks for the reply Chef. I know DVD-R works, my problem is that I have and use DVD+R on a regular basis and don’t want to switch simply because of a software problem. I do have alcohol 120 also installed but you didn’t indicate why that might be problematic.

On my previous system I had alcohol and this same version of Nero and all worked fine for DVD+R.

On this new system, I can’t get either my old optical drives, or these new 203’s to let me burn DVD+R. The old drives (on the new machine) were IDE through a PCI card, and the new drives are SATA through a controller card.

[B]Are you suggesting I go direct to the mobo instead of the controller card?[/B]
How would uninstalling Alcohol affect the method of burning with Nero?

Thanks again for your help.[/QUOTE]

Yes, please do that!

Alcohol has a feature to hide the mediaID to go around some copy-protection schemes…

Within Alcohol, go to Settings, Emulation, then make sure “Ignore Media Type” is not checked.

That may help, and I believe is what chef was referring to. :wink:

Thank you Arachne for the specifics. That box in Alcohol is exactly what it was. I didn’t change the cables or controllers or anything else, simply unchecking that box fixed it (after a reboot). Thank you thank you thank you - I was getting pretty pissed off at what was an apparent but hidden software setting. Burning to multiple DVD+R as we speak. Thanks again.

No problem, happy burning! :wink: