Media speeds and read/write

if a DVD rom drive has a max speed of 8x, can it read a 16x DVD+/-R with data already on it, or does the 16x just refer to the writing speed for that disc?

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard gparted. :iagree: :clap:
Yes the 16x refers to the medias max write speed. Depending on a variety of things, most folk seem to burn @ 8 > 12x.
Playback can be as low as single speed.
So your DVD Rom will be fine for some time to come (probably*). :bigsmile:

• I say this as the drive could just give up on you at anytime. Due to long & lengthy usuge. :wink:

thank you for the quick help, i have a follow up now :slight_smile:

what would cause a 16x Memorex DVD+R to not even be recognized in a CRX880A but play OK in another DVD reader?
i would think the CRX880A is the problem because the disc plays in another drive, but i don’t know why. thanks

It could just be a matter of a firmware update for the CRX880A.

:cool: :cool:

If you read more on any DVD forum, you will realize that not all media are same and some are more recognizable by assortment of players. Memorex is not one of them and if it was burned at max speed, there goes your problem.
Also check if you have latest firmware on this drive.

thanks all, firmware was already updated. I didn’t see a list of drives that memorex discs won’t work with or anything like that or i wouldn’t have used them. Seems to just be hit and miss. Thanks for the help

Memorex (dvd) media is questionable media, even when successful burned, no guarantee in case of the health of the content nor readability…

Memorex media are manufactured by CMC, Ritek, Prodisc, and sometimes MBI. The only thing “questionable” about them is who the actual manufacturer is. They don’t rely on a single factory for two reasons: 1) no single factory could keep up with the demand in North America where, according to NPD figures, they have had the largest market share for the last 6 years; and 2) keeping several factories competing for the business allows a brand to keep its prices low.

As for the disc not playing in a DVD player, there could be several reasons. One is that the player refuses to recognize any + media. Early Panasonic players and drives were guilty of this because of allegiance to the DVD Forum. Since the drive is Dell/Sony, this is unlikely since both supported the +RW Alliance. Another cause could be the failure of the drive to properly read the ADIP on the disc. This could be a disc problem, a recording drive problem, a recording software glitch, or a playback problem in the player. If another Memorex disc works, then the first three causes are more likely. However, if all DVD+R discs fail to work, then the suspicion falls on the Dell/Sony drive. There are a great many very expensive DVD players built to very tight specifications and, for that reason, cannot play many DVD discs whose own test parameters fall close to but not beyond a particular threshold. And there are numerous inexpensive DVD players that can play almost anything because their tolerances are more generous. (It may seem odd, but all the specifications actually fall on optical discs, not the players. The players have to decipher those specs and be aligned to calibration discs.)

[QUOTE=gparted;1904272]thank you for the quick help, i have a follow up now :slight_smile:

what would cause a 16x Memorex DVD+R to not even be recognized in a CRX880A but play OK in another DVD reader?
i would think the CRX880A is the problem because the disc plays in another drive, but i don’t know why. thanks[/QUOTE]

it’s actually a limitation of the Sony CRX880A drive not capable of reading “high speed” DVD+R discs. maximum speed that this drive can access for DVD-ROM/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW discs is 8x according to the CRX880A datasheet here:
http://www.sonynec-optiarc.eu/upload/pdfs/products/Data_sheet_CRX880A.pdf
Many people just don’t seem to pay attention to the specs of their DVD drives or have not done any Google searches on the specs of their DVD drives.

And no it can NOT be fixed by updating the firmware of the drive. I also use the Sony CRX880A drive on a Dell Inspiron laptop.

If you really want to use those 16x or higher speed DVD discs, buy a DVD drive that can actually handle that.