Media restrictions in firmware

vbimport

Hi All

Ever hear of a media brand restriction in a dvd burners firmware? I mean I’ve heard of region code restrictions and that can be removed via firmware hacks but never about the brand of media being restricted. The info I was told was that the firmware has certain brands that aren’t supported (for lack of a better defination) and thought this can still be written to with the burner it will do so only slower and with errors! However the burner’s manufacturer doesn’t say which brands are restricted. Also, you can remove the restriction though firmware hacks.

Personally, this all seems too unreal but I you never know…I’m looking for more information on this…is it true, untrue, ever heard of this or is this just bunk!

Media isn’t restricted, it’s just not added yet.

Manufacturers must use real discs to test and develop proper support for each media.

Thx dhc014

As I said this didn’t seem right but you never know! The actual quote:

“Many DVD burner manufacturers specify certain brands of media to be used in their machines, if you do not use them the burner slows down or writes with errors. They don’t tell you which media is approved but it is build into the firmware. The first thing I always do is hack into the firmware and remove the restrictions, at the same time I usually remove the region codes so that the drives can read all regions and remove the burn speed limits.”

I asked for confirmation and more info but I didn’t get a response…just though I’d check it out on my own!

Also :

> They don’t tell you which media is approved but it is build into the firmware.

On the contrary, many manufacturers document which media are supported by
their drives, see for instance http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_708.html

> The first thing I always do is hack into the firmware and remove the
> restrictions,

Since there are no restrictions, he’s actually just making things worse.