Media Rand DVD +/-R Test, and discussion

vbimport

Hello

What di you think about this brand ?

I have a test for one of them.

DVD dye is MCC, but the result are very different than a MCC by Verbatim… .

:confused:

The [I]Blank DVD Media Tests[/I] sub-forum is not for discussions so thread moved to [I]Blank Media[/I] forum.

• Thread moved * *

My guess is that this media uses a fake media code, so the results are not at all related to results with genuine Verbatim MCC003 media.

Also media codes are unrelated to the “dye”. You can fake a media code, there is no way to fake a dye. Media codes are a firmware support type thing. Sometimes a media code is faked, like Verbatims, so plenty of writers burn to the disc properly.

So basically, this disc is completely differently to a Verbatim but it fakes Verbatims media code so your drive is tricked into thinking it’s a MCC disc and burns to it. Results are often bad.

DrageMester:

Sorry for this post… .

cd pirate:

Than you for this information

[quote=verbatimaniac;2059839]DrageMester:

Sorry for this post… .[/quote] No problem, I just moved it to the right place.

And a belated welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

If it’s not branded Verbatim, chances are 99/100 (or more) that it shouldn’t be carrying the MCC code.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2060259]If it’s not branded Verbatim, chances are 99/100 (or more) that it shouldn’t be carrying the MCC code.[/QUOTE]Notable exception: the Infiniti (not “Infinity”) brand. Very good MCC discs. At least until recently… I’m not sure what’s the story with Infiniti these days. Our usual european media experts could share some light on this. [B]Pepst[/B]? [B]Arachne[/B]? [B]Dakhaas[/B]? [B]kg_evilboy[/B]? [B]DrageMester[/B]?

Oh and don’t forget the “Mitsubishi” brand. :wink: 100% legit MCC!

[B]cd pirate[/B] is right, and it’s worth repeating: the mediacode doesn’t refer specifically to the dye. That’s a widely spread misconception. The mediacode refers to [I]all[/I] of the characteristics of the disc model (thus including the dye used, but that’s only 1 thing among lots of other things like the reflective layer, the bonding agents, the manufacturing process, the polycarbonate… you name it).

A disc can have a mediacode indicating a given model from a given disc manufacturer, like Moser Baer or Ritek, model which could actually use a Mitsubishi or Fuji dye…! If I remember well, for example, Ritek M02 is a Ritek mediacode, but the discs use a Fuji Oxonol dye.

[Off-topic]

[quote=Francksoy;2060363]Notable exception: the Infiniti (not “Infinity”) brand. Very good MCC discs. At least until recently… I’m not sure what’s the story with Infiniti these days. Our usual european media experts could share some light on this. [B]Pepst[/B]? [B]Arachne[/B]? [B]Dakhaas[/B]? [B]kg_evilboy[/B]? [B]DrageMester[/B]?[/quote] It has been reported that Infiniti is now selling DVD+R media with fake MCC004 media codes. There’s a thread about it here somewhere. EDIT: Hmmm maybe not an entire thread but plenty of posts on the subject (search for: fake infiniti).

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2060363]Notable exception: the Infiniti (not “Infinity”) brand. Very good MCC discs. At least until recently… I’m not sure what’s the story with Infiniti these days. Our usual european media experts could share some light on this. [B]Pepst[/B]? [B]Arachne[/B]? [B]Dakhaas[/B]? [B]kg_evilboy[/B]? [B]DrageMester[/B]?

Oh and don’t forget the “Mitsubishi” brand. :wink: 100% legit MCC![/quote]

Infinity is still no official MCC disc’s these days. Old White tops =>Yes.
New silvers -> NO. (And I wouldn’t use 100% official, because I think Medea ( the companny behind infiniti) used the same construction as E-net does for the datawrite titaniums. If that makes them 100% official can be debated. But the media does use legit stamper, legit code and is made by a manufacturer who is allowed to use it. This would explain why they had to switch very well. )
Most big branded stuff that came in the past with a MCC code was legit. I’m talking about the Sony,Philips, MMORE branded disc’s.

But these days for disc’s using 100% official MCC technology you have 2 options.
1 Verbatim(rest of the world) /Mitsubishi(japan)
2 FTI archival gold.

[B]cd pirate[/B] is right, and it’s worth repeating: the mediacode doesn’t refer specifically to the dye. That’s a widely spread misconception. The mediacode refers to [I]all[/I] of the characteristics of the disc model (thus including the dye used, but that’s only 1 thing among lots of other things like the reflective layer, the bonding agents, the manufacturing process, the polycarbonate… you name it).

Bonding agents are not a part of the media code.:rolleyes:

Not completely sure who makes the mediarange disc’s these days. But in the early days they were made by infosmart. Seeing your results Infosmart has improved much, drives are more optimized for stuff with fake codes, or Media range uses a different manufacturer.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2060496]Bonding agents are not a part of the media code.:rolleyes:[/quote]You’re most probably right about that, but I still prefer to put it this way when fighting the [Mediacode=dye] myth, I guess you can understand the idea…

:iagree: Yep, I remembered that (it’s even been in my signature for some time), but I also remembered that some members still found the “good” Infiniti stuff, so I wasn’t sure how this thing evolved during the last 6 months. Dakhaas now made things quite clear I think.

Almost for sure fake, they scan like the fake “Platinum” branded ones I had.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2059763]My guess is that this media uses a fake media code, so the results are not at all related to results with genuine Verbatim MCC003 media.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2060458][Off-topic]
It has been reported that Infiniti is now selling DVD+R media with fake MCC004 media codes. There’s a thread about it here somewhere. EDIT: Hmmm maybe not an entire thread but plenty of posts on the subject (search for: fake infiniti).[/QUOTE]

Infiniti = Moser Baer, CMC, some unheard of names & some very dodgy MCC.

Info here:
http://svp.co.uk/searchresults.php?sSrch=Infiniti&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&Submit=Search
Look for the one with the MCC 03RG20 code - user reviews would suggest that it bears no relation to discs actually manufactured for Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings a.k.a Verbatim.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2060930]Infiniti = Moser Baer, CMC, some unheard of names & some very dodgy MCC.

Info here:
http://svp.co.uk/searchresults.php?sSrch=Infiniti&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&Submit=Search
Look for the one with the MCC 03RG20 code - user reviews would suggest that it bears no relation to discs actually manufactured for Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings a.k.a Verbatim.[/QUOTE]

That one is actually legit. It’s the white top MCC03RG20. They are made by CMC.
What people seem to forget is that infiniti and the E-net stuff mostly use rejects, extra production runs (after the stamper may not be used for mitsubishi products) and more of that stuff.
Depending on the reason why they were not used for Verbatim/Mitsubishi, they can be great to not so great. There is now waranty or stuff unlike Verbatim/Mitsubishi.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2060930]Info here:
Look for the one with the MCC 03RG20 code - user reviews would suggest that it bears no relation to discs actually manufactured for Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings a.k.a Verbatim.[/QUOTE]If you go by customer opinions at SVP, then the Datasafe-branded printable CMC MAG E01 are better discs than the Verbatim-branded printable MCC 03RG20.! :bigsmile:

My point being that these customer reviews at SVP are a questionable starting point to get an idea of media quality… Too chaotic / not enough input.

[quote=Francksoy;2061139]If you go by customer opinions at SVP, then the Datasafe-branded printable CMC MAG E01 are better discs than the Verbatim-branded printable MCC 03RG20.! :bigsmile:[/quote] If you read the latest review here, the buyer (whom I think you know) is not that impressed with the Datasafe CMC MAG E01 non-printable! :wink:

Ohwell we can forget the recommendations of MCC based E-net and Infiniti media, because it has become much harder for these compannies to get this product. Reason for them to look for easier cheaper sollutions.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2061149]If you read the latest review here, the buyer (whom I think you know) is not that impressed with the Datasafe CMC MAG E01 non-printable! ;)[/QUOTE]LOL Overlooked “this buyer”'s review. :bigsmile:.