Media -R +R

vbimport

I am about to purchase a 2500 but was a little confused about the media I should buy. For backing up movies -R is what I want, correct or does it matter? I have also read a bunch of threads about the Ritek media - some say okay things others say they get coasters. What brands would you guys recommend? I saw a good thread about Memorex but it appears that some media is really just using another brand’s name. How can you tell before you purchase what the good brand is?
Thanks

for dvd-video disks that have the best compatibility with standalone players, its best to go with dvd-r disks, though dvd+r isnt too far behind now.

if u can afford them, then go for Taiyo Yuden dvd-r disks.

verbatim dvd-r disks are also top notch as are maxel.

everything else falls below these 2 brands.

ritek G04 disks seem to be a bit hit and miss these days. some people report problems with them, others have no problems, so the choice is yours if u want to experiment with them.

if u want dirt cheap media then you could try princo yellow tops or datawrite redtop v2 disks. these are both very cheap and get the job done.

Originally posted by Kvetch
I am about to purchase a 2500 but was a little confused about the media I should buy. For backing up movies -R is what I want, correct or does it matter? I have also read a bunch of threads about the Ritek media - some say okay things others say they get coasters. What brands would you guys recommend? I saw a good thread about Memorex but it appears that some media is really just using another brand’s name. How can you tell before you purchase what the good brand is?
Thanks

Recommended media-type for backing up movies? DVD+R with the bitsetting set to DVD-ROM is the most compatible disc that you can produce!

You cannot be certain when purchasing by brand name seeing as most ‘name-brands’ repackage discs made by many various manufacturers. You can get a good idea though by searching the DVD media database at http://dvdrhelp.com