Media -R or +R?

Good Day,

I use DVD +R with Booktype bitsetting for DVD-ROM, I’m thinking about using media -R.
what do you think?
which their opinion about for midia ridata -R?

I like DVD-R media. I use Verbatim mostly.

Some players respond better to DVD-R, others do great with DVD+R with the DVD-ROM bit setting.

I guess I’d recommend picking up a small pack of DVD-R’s and doing some burns and playback tests to see how it works for you and the hardware you play it back on.

Shouldn’t hurt anything, I reckon’. :slight_smile:

I would definately NOT reccomend Ridata though. Go with Verbatim or TY.

Ridata suffers from some degradation, consistency, compatibility and quality issues. :slight_smile:
Go for Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden (preferably 8x, but 16x should be ok too) or Maxell (but only the real Made in Japan Maxells).

I do like Verbatim’s too - they have done right by me over the years.

You should always go for the -Rs if you want to increase compatibility.

Some DVD Players refuse to read +Rs, even if they’re booktyped to DVD-ROM.

And some refuse to read DVD-R but will read DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM. There have even been reports of players that could read DVD+R with booktype DVD+R but not read DVD+R with booktype DVD-ROM.

Neither of the -R and +R formats is best for all purposes, and there is no recordable format that is guaranteed readable in all players.

Yep.

Although I must admit, +R tends to work best for me, but I don’t often have to bitset them, as my standalones will read anything.

my Sony player will read DVD+RW only if [B][I]not[/I][/B] booktyped!

These incompatibilities are pretty annoying. Silly multi-format standard. :frowning:

CD-R
CD-RW
DVD-R
DVD-RW

That’s all that should have been made - No Plus.

mmm…add to that DVD-R DL ?

As an extension of the DVD-R standard, yeah.

Though dual layer is still way too costly and seemingly not as compatible as I could have hoped for them to be.

Thanks to DVD Shrink, I can fit just about every movie backup on a single sided DVD and life stays good.

The “standards” have not been made by an independent standards body but rather by cooperating companies, so it’s only natural that competing companies would come up with a competing “standard” if they didn’t like the existing one, and that’s why we have the +R/+RW formats.

There can still be incompatibilities with the formats you listed; my 5-year old laptop Matsushita combo drive refuses to read DVD+R unless booktyped to DVD-ROM, but it also refuses to read DVD-RW even though Matsushita is one of the DVD Forum members (the -R camp).

The drive can DVD+RW when booktyped to DVD-ROM, however!

Strange but true.

Wacky world. It’s time to hunker down and await the outcome of the Blue-Ray, HD-DVD thing. I’m going to be Drought and Famine resistant and prepare for Y3K

Mh, Philips & Co. only invented Booktyping to make + media more compatible with players… I think in the end it is good that not only one format were introduced, with only one format prices hadn’t fall that fast and new faster speeds weren’t here today already… more competition is good for us consumers, mostly.
I think that PLUS media would have failed without the possibility of Bitsetting.

In the end, it depends mainly on the used media and the used player. :wink:

it’s not so much that they didn’t like it, they didn’t like the idea of royalties going to their competition, they wanted it going to them!

thank you very much

The comments are being of great importance.
read comments on Ritek’s Degradation, is it true?

thanks

Many (possibly most) batches from 4x and 8x DVD-R media from Ritek (RITEK G04 and G05), but also earlier DVD-R media suffer from degradation.
Also, there have been isolated reports of degradation with their slower DVD-R media and 8x DVD+R media, but those were not confirmed.
RITEK F1 (16x DVD-R) is not well supported by quite a few drives, and may not burn at the full speed/with good quality. Same goes for their DVD+R DL media.
I would recommend staying away from Ritek. :slight_smile:

I [I]have[/I] heard cases on Videohelp.com where some DVD Players will only read +R discs and refuse to read -R discs. :eek:

I think this needs clearing up. Most of the older DVD Players were designed to read -R because correct me if I’m wrong but, the +R was only recognised as a DVD format in 2002. To me, this means that DVD Players that were manufactured prior to 2002 are most likely not going to be able to read +R discs.

That’s why I always recommend using -Rs - you’ve got a very high chance of compatibility on most of the older DVD Players [I]and[/I] the newer DVD Players. Whereas with the +R discs, you’ve got a very high chance of compatibility on the newer DVD Players but a [I]much[/I] lower chance of compatibility with most of the older DVD Players.

Based on this evidence alone, it doesn’t take a genius to work out which format is more compatible with past and present DVD hardware.

You also have to differ between “cheap” players and more expensive ones from big name companies. These days the $ is not that different anymore, but in 200 and so on it was.

The cheapos bend some rules the big players had to obey to… not only about regioning. :wink: