Media quality at eprom.com (canada)

vbimport

Hi,

I’d like to know if the quality of these brands is good and if anyone knows where to get better deals in Canada

HP 4.7GB (8X) DVD+R 25PCS CAKE BOX 16$CAD
HP 4.7GB (8X) DVD-R 25PCS CAKE BOX 16$CAD
LEGACY 4.7GB (8X) DVD+R 10PK IN J/C 9$CAD
LEGACY 4.7GB (4X) DVD+RW 10PK IN J/C 11$CAD
PRODISC (8X) DVD-R 50PCS CAKE BOX 22$CAD
PRODISC (8X) DVD-R INKJET 50PCS SPINDL 22$CAD
RIDATA DL 8.5GB DVD+R (2.4X) IN J/C 9$CAD
RIDATA 4.7GB (16X) DVD+R 25PCS CAKE BO 19$CAD
RIDATA 4.7GB (8X) DVD-R 50PCS CAKE BOX 24$CAD
RIDATA 4.7GB (8X) DVD-R 50PCS INKJET 26$CAD
SMARTBUY 4.7GB (8X) DVD+R 10PK IN J/C 10$CAD
SMARTBUY 4.7GB (8X) DVD+R MEDIA 50CB 22$CAD
SMARTBUY 4.7GB (4X) DVD+RW 10PK IN J/C 13$CAD
SMARTBUY 4.7GB (8X) DVD-R MEDIA 50CB 22$CAD

I don’t really need speed , I need the lowest $/gb (need to backup 2,4TB) but I need it to be reliable too, so which brand should I get ?

thanks

Ive tried some Ridata +R media and it was alright but if you need reliabilty stick to Verbatim or TY, you might be better off buying a few large hard drives.

hard drives are nice , but my best price per GB for reliable hard drives is

Seagate IDE 200GB at 132$CAD or 0.66$ per gb
but even if I take the most expensive ridata at 24$ per 50dvd that’s 235GB for 24$ or 0.1$ per gb
for the price of 2,4TB or harddrive space , I could get 15,5TB of DVD storage

I’m going to run nero cdspeed’s scandisk on each dvd (or something similar that can be automated if it exist) so I can eliminate bad dvds right after burning them , as long as I don’t have a few bad dvd per spindle it’ll be a very good deal

can dvds go bad later while in storage or if I check them right after burning them and then store them in a dark and dry place and take care not to damage or scratch them , they won’t go bad just out of aging , right ?

discs can and do go bad in storage often cheap discs such as datawrite/bulkpaq/princo etc. a test right after the burn can be a good indication of longevity but it isnt 100% especially on cheaper discs, i can be fairly sure that my verbatim discs that scan well after the burn will probably outlive me if stored correctly, however things can go wrong bad batches etc as i say this is more common with cheap media, if you can get hold of Traxdata branded discs they offer a fairly decent disc at a cheaper price ive used Traxdata branded Ritek G05 discs with some decent results, if you insist on that list then Ridata seems your best bet but with any Ritek discs quality can massively vary from spindle to spindle

Get (at least) two different brands made by two different manufacturers and burn all data on one of each different media. That way you minimize the risk of loosing everything due to a problem with one media batch. If you have Nero Burning ROM and two burners, you can burn both copies at the same time.

k , thanks to all for the advice
I’ll try to find better disc for not too much $ more
or I’ll burn the data using a format that can do some extra FEC across multiple discs

Without digging:
Legacy - who?
HP - Might be decent.
Ridata = Ritek “house brand” - probably better Ritek coded media than most off-brands.
Prodisc - some drives are very good with it
Smartbuy - my recollection is that this tends to be a good example of Prodisc

Out of all of those, I think I’d rule out the “Legacy”
A MID code file (from here, some time back) - doesn’t have the 8x for them, but the lower speeds had a spread of codes you don’t want to see

HP codes, not the best, not the worst

Smartbuy - yes, Prodisc codes - +R 8x listed as R03 and R04 (a 16x code) no -R 8x at that time, and Prodisc -R codes seem to be ones that drives love or hate.