Media for XBOX, please post your experiences!

I’m doing a very little research on DVD media and how they work on the MS XBOX gaming console.

For those who’ve got any experience with this: please post your findings.

The information I’m interested in:

• What brand of DVD media did you use (posting the mediacode is even better)
  • What burner, firmware and speed settings did you use?
  • What drive is there in your XBOX? (look here if you don’t know)
  • How does this media perform in your XBOX?

Example:
Media: Arita DVD-R 4x, RitekG04
Burner: NEC ND1300a, 1.0A, 4x
Drive: Thomson
Performance: Acceptable, sometimes needs some time to accept the disc.

Thanx for your cooperation…!

My XBox has a samsung drive.

I have used 3 different media’s for it so far, all burnt with a LiteOn 851S, firmware has varied, but all have been burned at 4x.

They are “sonic” branded, media code reports longten01. One is printable, one is silver. The printable, burned at 4x, was rated at 1x. The silver, was rated at 2.4x, and burned at 4x. They are both DVD-R’s, purchased only because they cost .50 apiece.

The third media I used was a memorex 4x DVD+R, it’s actually a ricoh jpn 01, rated at 4x, burned at 4x. Like many have reported, the samsung drive had troubles reading the DVD+R. Actually that’s an understatement. It didn’t read it period. I downloaded the bitratesetting proggy or whatnot from the liteon tools section, set it to DVD-Rom, and then it worked great.

All 3 brands have worked flawlessly (once I got the DVD+R’s working), I haven’t experienced any hangups.

Cliff Notes:
Media: Sonic DVD-R, Longten 01
Burner: Liteon 851S, 4x
Drive: Samsung
Performance: Works great, very cheap, doesn’t get any better then that :slight_smile:

Media: Memorex DVD+R, Ricoh JPN01
Burner: Liteon 851S, 4x
Performance: Worked flawelessly once I converted to DVD-Rom.

I have a samsung drive in my Xbox and got these results:

Media: Imation 4x, Sony 1x-4x, TDK 1x-4x
Mediacode: RICOHJPN01 (DVD+R)
Burner: NEC 2500 6x
Performance: None, RICOHJPN01 does NOT work (probably work when you convert them to dvd-rom as Ficerarmer previously mentioned, however I have no idea on how to do that)

Media: Platinum 4x
Mediacode: Ritek R02 (DVD+R)
Burner: NEC 2500 4x
Performance: Works great, however i believe my brother copied it with the DVD-ROM trick

Originally posted by theunbeatable
[B]I have a samsung drive in my Xbox and got these results:

Media: Imation 4x, Sony 1x-4x, TDK 1x-4x
Mediacode: RICOHJPN01 (DVD+R)
Burner: NEC 2500 6x
Performance: None, RICOHJPN01 does NOT work (probably work when you convert them to dvd-rom as Ficerarmer previously mentioned, however I have no idea on how to do that)

Media: Platinum 4x
Mediacode: Ritek R02 (DVD+R)
Burner: NEC 2500 4x
Performance: Works great, however i believe my brother copied it with the DVD-ROM trick [/B]
I used the lite-on bitsetting tool, but seing as you have a NEC that obviously wont work :smiley: I’m not sure if there is a bit-setting tool for the NEC drive but if there is that should fix the problems with it not reading DVD+R’s.

Xbox backup success is very dependent on the xbox iso maker software you use. I have used the same Datasafe G04 media on over 15 different xiso makers, with all varying success. So far craxtion
has worked the best, with every image i make playing flawlessly on my xbox (phillips drive)

Media: Datasafe G.04, Ridata G04, Ritek G04
Mediacode:G04 dvd-r
Burner: pioneer 106d, liteon dual layer 832s :cool:
Drive: Phillips
Performance: Perfect everytime

Making a GDF image (look around ;)) using craxtion is the best image you can make, there are reasons for this.

Bitsetting is also a good thing but sometimes I have forgotten to do it and the media still worked :).

Media: Verbatim DataLife Plus
Mediacode: -
Burner: LiteOn LDW-811s
Drive: Thompson
Performance: Perfect everytime

Sorry, forgot to say that the discs were burned at 4x.

Yes Gdfimage is better than ximage as some games do not work with ximage. ie Blinx the time sweeper. Craxtion 4 is out soon, and with these two there is no better iso creating tool.

Datawrite Yellow DVD-R (Princo Dye)
LG GSA 4081B (101 Firmware) 4X
Samsung Drive and Thompson Drive
All worked on both boxes. (done about 50 so far)
Single and Multigame all made with Craxion 3.XX

Xbox with Philips DVD-ROM drive, reads:

-Samsung DVD-R (manuf. by BeAll) 4x, burned at 4x
-Samsung DVD+R (manuf. by Taiyo Yuden) 4x, burned at 4x
-MMORE DVD-R 4x, burned at 4x
-Princo DVD-R 2x, burned at 2x, these discs played well at first but I had to reburn them because they quickly degraded
-PioData DVD-R (manuf. by Lead-Data) 4x, burned at 4x
-Plextor DVD+R (manuf. by Taiyo Yuden) 4x, burned at 4x

My Xbox pretty much reads everything but I tend to use quality media mostly. I prefer to use Taiyo Yuden DVD+R media for my box since it reads these discs very well. Samsung DVD-R media also works very well here. All discs were burned at maximum speed using RecordNow Max! and a Plextor PX-708A drive.

What is the manufactering date of your Xbox? There are roughly said 2 philips drives; crappy ones were made before august 2003, good quality drives were made from august 2003 till now. The old philips is very picky, whilst the new one is probably better than the samsung (e.g new philips reads everything, whilst samsung does not read DVD+R unless you change the booktype to DVD-ROM)

I think I have one of the new Xbox Philips drives. I’m at work currently so I can’t check the date I purchased it. But judging from my results I’d say I have a new version. It reads everything I throw at it when it comes to DVD+R and DVD-R, although it cannot read DVD+RW and DVD-RW media. A friend of mine has bought an Xbox recently too with a Samsung drive. I thought these were one of the best readers but as you said it failed to read any of my DVD+R discs. I’m happy with my Philips drive :wink:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-003-000]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [003]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x - 8x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

Media: Verbatim DataLifePlus Printable
Burner: NEC 2500A, herrie’s firmware beta 4
Write Speed: 6x (for better compatibility)
Xbox-Drive: Samsung
Performance: Great, works ONLY with bitsetting to DVD-ROM

Sorry if this is just a little off topic, but I have a question regarding the xbox.

Today I bought a 50 pack of the khypermedia dvd+r’s from office max. I know many think they are crap, but I have had good experiences with the -r’s and th 50 pack was 40% off.

Anyway, my xbox has a samsung drive, and before I purchased the +r’s, I didn’t even think about making sure that the dvds were compatible. Turns out my xbox won’t read them at all.

I have an NEC ND-1300A. Is there a way I can burn the +r’s in -ROM so there is a chance of compatibility with my samsung dvd drive?

use dvdinfo pro to change the booktype to -rom

Media: kHypermedia 4x dvd+r
Mediacode:CMC MAG F01
Burner: NEC ND1300a, 1.08v2, 4x
Performance: Working well now that I converted to -ROM

I was previously using 1.09, but downgraded to the 1.08v2 firmware that allows booktypes so I could burn -ROM. However dvdinfopro says the current disc is still +R, but it is working in my samsung drive. Thanks a bunch for the help!

:wink: All’s I know is my buddy and I always use digistor.com for all our DVD media needs.

Digistor DVD-R 4x: Works in Xbox (and older dvd players too) for movies and games. I’ve never had a game not work. And I watch all my DVD movies from the box.

Digistor 8x External USB2 Dual Drive: Used to burn the Xbox games and movies and whatnot.

DVD-R 4x $0.59
8x DVD External DVD Burner $129

I would call this the one stop shop for xbox compatibility. :smiley:

You don’t happen to be anyway affiliated with this shop eh? You even forget to tell what type of dvd-drive is in your xbox :stuck_out_tongue: Besides, i’ve never ever heard of digistor, so it would probably be a rebadged drive/dvd disc, or to put it another way: more expensive

I have the Phillips drive in my xbox, my buddy has the Thomson drive. :iagree:
I ran across digistor quite some time ago and have been rooting for them ever since. I used meritline.com I went to Fry’s electronics, I was all over the place and I was VERY frustrated with the quality I was getting and how certain media would not work in some dvd players (or game consoles) and such. I read a release on digistor (looking for link… ) hmm I think I saw their ultra slim slot load dvd burner in a magazine once and LOVED IT! Anywho, I just have been overall happy and I know how frustrating it is to get crap from online stores.

P.S. Oh yeah, LOL they are on the front page of this site now! hah. :bigsmile:

Just burned my first successful backup. I had 3 types of media at home.

Media code: RicohJPNR01
Media Product Revision Number: 02h
Media Type: DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed: 4.0x
Xbox: doesn’t work

Media code: TDKG02000000
Media Type: DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed: 2.0x
Xbox: doesn’t work

Media code: RICOHJPNW11
Media Product Revision Number: 01h
Media Type: DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed: 4.0x
Xbox: works

The Xbox drive is a Thomson. The PC drive was a Sony DRU-500A using Nero to burn. The DVD+R media might have worked if the Sony writer could do bitsetting/booktype but it can’t. I was hoping the less expensive media would have worked – the DVD+RW’s were $.84 ea for qty 25 compared to the DVD+R at $.40 ea.