Media for Lite-on; priciple of smart-burn

vbimport

What I do not understand is this:

Lite-On has a feature called Smart-Burn on their drives that can read wich "brand" of CD-rom is in the burner, and based on that information it decides how to burn the CD (correct me if I am wrong).

This sounds like a usefull feature, but one would expect that LITE-ON would deliver a list with CD-R’s that are recognized by this smart-burn feature (or compatible with their drives). Even more because of the fact that the F/W updates in almost all cases includes support for more Media. So they must have lists with media supported by this Smart-Burn feature. But I cannot find them; Isn’t that strange, what do you think about that? Or am I just to stupid to find them? Or do I not understand what smart-burn is doing, in stead of recognizing the CD, and in which factory it is made?

To narrow this question to my situation. I am thinking about buying cd-rom from shop.cdfreaks.com, but they sell two brands that are European (HI-SPACE and DATATRACK). I do not know if these brands, that are coming from European factories, are recognised by Smart Burn. The other thing is that there are a lot of threads about different media, but almost never about these two brands, or more important: about the factories who manufacture these CD’s (MPO and Plasmon Data Systems); so can anyone give me more information on those brands and even better: those brands in combination with LITE-ON drives. I have the Lite –On LTR-32125W.

I posted this question in two forums: Lite-on-forum and media-forum, because I think they fit in both. Sorry if that is a problem.

We do not allow cross posting :wink:

I’m pretty sure that MPO works at 32X with your Lite-On.

Plasmon? Never had any discs from them.

And no, such a media list do not exist. But you may download the SMART-BURN media checker to se what speeds your media will work at.

Originally posted by inspiration
[B]What I do not understand is this:

Lite-On has a feature called Smart-Burn on their drives that can read wich “brand” of CD-rom is in the burner, and based on that information it decides how to burn the CD (correct me if I am wrong).

This sounds like a usefull feature, but one would expect that LITE-ON would deliver a list with CD-R’s that are recognized by this smart-burn feature (or compatible with their drives). Even more because of the fact that the F/W updates in almost all cases includes support for more Media. So they must have lists with media supported by this Smart-Burn feature. But I cannot find them; Isn’t that strange, what do you think about that? Or am I just to stupid to find them? Or do I not understand what smart-burn is doing, in stead of recognizing the CD, and in which factory it is made?

To narrow this question to my situation. I am thinking about buying cd-rom from shop.cdfreaks.com, but they sell two brands that are European (HI-SPACE and DATATRACK). I do not know if these brands, that are coming from European factories, are recognised by Smart Burn. The other thing is that there are a lot of threads about different media, but almost never about these two brands, or more important: about the factories who manufacture these CD’s (MPO and Plasmon Data Systems); so can anyone give me more information on those brands and even better: those brands in combination with LITE-ON drives. I have the Lite –On LTR-32125W.

I posted this question in two forums: Lite-on-forum and media-forum, because I think they fit in both. Sorry if that is a problem. [/B]

IMO, Smartburn is just a gimmick which just does a slipshot check for what kind of speed the media accepts. I wonder if liteon drives have the OPC feature? Unlike the plextor which a friend of mine owns (It’s just the 24x model with varirec) I have seen the speed shift from a higher to lower region during the burn thus avoiding potential errors if the media is of low quality.

Frankly, after so many tests on my o/c 48125W I can only at this point of time conclude that high quality media is a must for true quality burns. I bought a batch of benq 24x media and its the WORST shitty brand I ever came across. Rated 24x but gives random results everytime. Read problems, tons of C2 errors.:a

High quality media is necessary at such high speeds as 48x. Nothing new… :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Bloodlust
[B]

IMO, Smartburn is just a gimmick which just does a slipshot check for what kind of speed the media accepts. I wonder if liteon drives have the OPC feature? Unlike the plextor which a friend of mine owns (It’s just the 24x model with varirec) I have seen the speed shift from a higher to lower region during the burn thus avoiding potential errors if the media is of low quality.[/B]

The new VS06 firmware seems to do just that, as I experienced one a test burn. I believe this OC-Freak mentioned that as well in another post.

[B]

Frankly, after so many tests on my o/c 48125W I can only at this point of time conclude that high quality media is a must for true quality burns. I bought a batch of benq 24x media and its the WORST shitty brand I ever came across. Rated 24x but gives random results everytime. Read problems, tons of C2 errors.:a [/B]

I agree. As Airhead just said, it’s nothing really new. We’ll have to wait for high quality media, and that applies to Plextor drives as well since the burn speed does drop with these drives when media used is not the best

Originally posted by 83bj60
[B]

The new VS06 firmware seems to do just that, as I experienced one a test burn. I believe this OC-Freak mentioned that as well in another post.

[/B]

I did play around with the VS06 firmware before. I use fantom cd to burn my bin files and I did not see the speed dropping. Which program did you use? Nero?

CloneCD, for a test burn at max speed on a 16X Princo. Title: Tomb Raider 4 (PC). Fills the disk (approximately… wanted to check the error behaviour at the end of the disk).