Media for BluRay Burner

Hi, I recently bought a new PC with a BluRay burner. I then bought a player for the TV. I am seeking reasonably priced media to use for backing up my films. So far I am hearing big $$ for just 1 blank???

I don’t care about the extras. I just want to back up my stuff, regular films, etc. I have AnyDvd & Clone. I would appreciate all feedback. Thanks all.:frowning:

Hi, I recently bought a new PC with a BluRay 4X burner in it. I have AnyDvd & Clone. I am seeking info on where to buy -R media for my burner at a reasonable price. I have no interest in anything other than the film I’m viewing.

I have been using Verbatim & Maxell DVD media for non- BluRay tasks. I appreciate all feedback. :confused:

[QUOTE=walker1;2152358]Hi, I recently bought a new PC with a BluRay 4X burner in it. I have AnyDvd & Clone. I am seeking info on where to buy -R media for my burner at a reasonable price. I have no interest in anything other than the film I’m viewing.

I have been using Verbatim & Maxell DVD media for non- BluRay tasks. I appreciate all feedback. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Depends can you find Verbatim BD-R media there where you live? Are you asking for -R media in DVD or BD format?? Cause just reading your question to me is was confusing as to what your asking for. How does this have in relation to Anydvd and CloneCD???

which ever (BD or DVD) media you are looking for you will find several reviews published here at CDF which will tell you which media burns with the best quality for each BD burner.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2152399]Depends can you find Verbatim BD-R media there where you live? Are you asking for -R media in DVD or BD format?? Cause just reading your question to me is was confusing as to what your asking for. How does this have in relation to Anydvd and CloneCD???[/QUOTE]

Only because I make back up DVDs. I’m new to BluRay & I’m looking for reasonably priced BD-R media. Can you help?

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2152407]which ever (BD or DVD) media you are looking for you will find several reviews published here at CDF which will tell you which media burns with the best quality for each BD burner.[/QUOTE]

I understand that concept- I’m seeking where to buy BD media that’s reasonably priced. Sony wants $20 for 1 BD blank. Can you elaborate on this?

Blank BD media isn’t cheap at the moment. I usually shop on newegg.com. I have to LG BD-RE discs right now that are just fine.

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2152559]Blank BD media isn’t cheap at the moment. I usually shop on newegg.com. I have to LG BD-RE discs right now that are just fine.[/QUOTE]

What does the RE stand for? What is your cost per media disc?

RE is the same as saying RW which in short it means you can erase the disc and reuse it. They are 13.99 USD and up…

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100071%201087423444&name=BD-RE(Blu-ray)

Hey Walker1

I buy most of my Blu-ray media from a forum member, he is in Japan.

He ships very quickly and I have never had a problem dealing with him.

You can see his Ebay store here.

I’ve seen decent prices for Verbatim 2X BD-Rs. Look for the branded ones that come in a jewel case.

You know how with DVDs, prices are usually better if you buy bulk, printable discs in a spindle? With BD-Rs, prices seem to be better for branded discs…at least with my suppliers.

Best deal I’ve seen on BD-R media is from Shop4tech. They often have storewide sales of 17% – search the forum for a current coupon code.

http://www.shop4tech.com/item7856.html

If you think that’s still too expensive, you can also break up your movies and put them on standard +r and -r DVD media.

See this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/bd2dvd-blu-ray-dvd-guide-232165/

Personally, I wouldn’t invest very much in Beta-Ray (my nickame for Blu-Ray!) as it’s soon to be dead, dead, dead (IMHO… it’s future is BLUE!) after Xmas and the recession, so I’d suggest backing up movies to a portable hard drive and getting a Media Player such as the lovely WDTV Media Player that is on sale at Best Buy for $99.00 this week. This player will play Blu-Ray just fine off HD, except without the menus. I suggest this because you mentioned you only wanted the actual movies and not extras.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8993217&st=western+digital+player&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218008588808

If you consider that most Beta-Ray movies are around 30gb, you could have about 16 movies on a 500gb HD. Assuming a 500gb disc is around $64, then that would be around $4 a movie for the storage space. Most Blu-Ray media is more expensive than that…especially the RE media that is re-recordable.

I think I would stick with Verbatim or Sony BD-R disks for the moment. Dang things are too expensive for even one coaster. Newegg has the Verbatim BD-R 25gb for $7.99

If you want to talk expensive, the Sony BD-R 50gb DL disks there are $37.99!

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2152407]which ever (BD or DVD) media you are looking for you will find several reviews published here at CDF which will tell you which media burns with the best quality for each BD burner.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I’ll do that.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2152587]Hey Walker1

I buy most of my Blu-ray media from a forum member, he is in Japan.

He ships very quickly and I have never had a problem dealing with him.

You can see his Ebay store here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I see his prices are reasonable. Now all I have to do is find out which capacity & burn speed is best for my burner. Today Dell told me I have a Phillips-Lite-On It Blu-ray burner, Mod. # DH-4B1S. The specs are: 4X-BD -R/RE on read & write.

[QUOTE=Polyline;2152747]I’ve seen decent prices for Verbatim 2X BD-Rs. Look for the branded ones that come in a jewel case.

You know how with DVDs, prices are usually better if you buy bulk, printable discs in a spindle? With BD-Rs, prices seem to be better for branded discs…at least with my suppliers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have a burner that’s supposed to burn @ 4X on BD -R/RE. Should I be looking for media that burn @ 4X?

Welcome to our forum. Walker1:)

Verbatim 2x BD-R can be burned up to 6x on some burners. Not sure about your DH-4B1S, it might be able to burn it at 4x.

You want to look for Made in Japan blu-ray media for peace of mind.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2152791]I think I would stick with Verbatim or Sony BD-R disks for the moment. Dang things are too expensive for even one coaster. Newegg has the Verbatim BD-R 25gb for $7.99

If you want to talk expensive, the Sony BD-R 50gb DL disks there are $37.99![/QUOTE]

At those prices I would be better off re-joining the Columbia DVD club. I just got this burner, but have no BD movies to watch on the new Sony player. I’ve had my 60" Sony R60XBR2 TV for over a year and have never seen anything in 1080P.

I have Dish- their On Demand movies require a TV with 24FPS spec. Mine has 60FPS and won’t work in 1080P. Dish told me I could watch a movie in a lower resolution??? What’s the point of buying a 1080P res. TV if you can’t use it? I thought Dish was ridiculous and I deleted thei On Demand chs out of my favorityes. Besides, it will be a cold day in hell when I will pay $7.00 for an OD flick.

[QUOTE=zaina;2153062]Verbatim 2x BD-R can be burned up to 6x on some burners. Not sure about your DH-4B1S, it might be able to burn it at 4x.

You want to look for Made in Japan blu-ray media for peace of mind.[/QUOTE]

Up until now I was buying Verbatim 16X blanks for recording regular DVD’s @ $30/100 @ Sam’s Club. That’s about .30 cents or so per blank.

I know what you mean about Made in Japan.