Media for 2x Superdrive

vbimport

Hi,

I have a Mac G4 with a Superdrive. The Apple 2x media writes at 2x. I just bought a 15 pack of Verbatim DVD-R and was very disappointed to find out that for some reason I can only write at 1x with this media. Can someone explain this?

Thanks,
Ezack

Not all 2x will work on the Superdrive. I have had great success with Meritline.com and their generic meritline 2x blank media.

Only had 1 DVD-R that wouldn’t verify after burning with toast!

Cheers!

matt

Hi Matt,

Do I really need to verify? Is there a way to bypass that? I know that before it verifies, it gives you a few seconds to skip that, but usually I’m not sitting at my desk when that prompt comes up.

Ezack

No you don’t need to verify if you don’t want to. The only down side is that if you “temporarily” don’t have access to your original DVD and you play the copy and discover that it’s “defective”. Only you can make the call… you can always click stop on the verification process in toast and it will just eject and stop.

matt

Originally posted by ezack
I have a Mac G4 with a Superdrive. The Apple 2x media writes at 2x. I just bought a 15 pack of Verbatim DVD-R and was very disappointed to find out that for some reason I can only write at 1x with this media. Can someone explain this?

4x media burns at 1x with a 2x Superdrive. I just found a page at Apple explaining that this is the way it should be! Read the FAQ on this page.

In short: disappointing.

I too have had good luck with Meritline’s house brand 2X DVD-R disks. Very reliable – I mostly no longer wait through the verification process in Toast as I’ve always had clean burns. Price fluctuates, but currently around US$1.25 per disk if you buy in bulk. They also have a great price on 3-up printable labels: 150 for about $10.

DVD2One creates files that fall just under the max capacity of the disks, and so data doesn’t get burned out on the scary edges of the disk where the media be potentially less stable. When I create disks in DVD Studio Pro (Mac) I often filled up every last sector, and then would be sure to verify the burn.

And yes, as suggested above, you can safely interrupt/stop Toast’s verification process without harm to the disk.

Ezack,
You could always do what I did. Go to pricewatch.com, find the best price on a pioneer DVR-105 or DVR-A05 (Same drive different #'s depending on OEM or not, and I paid $291 for mine w/next day air 4 months ago), and swap it out for your original drive. The 105 is the latest “Superdrive” and it records DVD-R at 4x, and takes any generic media I’ve tried with it. The superdrive in your machine is probably the DVR-103 like I started out with, and I had trouble burning at 2x with any media but Apple and Pioneer. If you have a tower the swap out is easy, and OS X (I think 10.2.3 or later) already has the drivers for it built in, so you don’t even have to install drivers. Just unplug the old and plug in the new. If interested or have any questions Ezack my email is bpatton@mac.com.

Bradley

hey guys,

is this the media you were talking about? what does version 2.0 mean anyway?

http://www.meritline.com/mer47dvmedfo.html

ezack

Originally posted by ezack
[B]hey guys,

is this the media you were talking about? what does version 2.0 mean anyway?

http://www.meritline.com/mer47dvmedfo.html

ezack [/B]

I use these 2x disks from Meritline on my Apple Superdrive and they work fine. About 27 minutes at most to burn using Toast.

Originally posted by schmeg
I use these 2x disks from Meritline on my Apple Superdrive and they work fine
Which SuperDrive do you have? There are a couple different OEMs for the 2X drive, and now Apple is installing a 4X drive. (System Profiler would say…)

I have the Pioneer A104 (DVD-RW, device revision A227).

Originally posted by schmeg
I have the Pioneer A104 (DVD-RW, device revision A227).
Ahh, I’m glad I asked. I have the newer 2X Superdrive, the HL-DT-ST. Hard to find info on it.

I was hoping to find a recommendation for media for that burner, not really wanting to buy a 50-pack blindly.