Media Ethics

vbimport

Ok so. I though I maybe a bit picky about this, but then I see the people here who do scan’s of their optic media every week and realized i’m not that bad.

I want all my cd’s/dvd’s to be one brand and have one look to them (preferably full hub printable), so that when you go though them they kind of have some sort of form to them. I’m stuck with Verbatim for a brand choice as TY is impossible to find here in NZ. I already have alot (100+) of Emtec media (cd’s) burnt and labels printed. + heaps more lightscribed cd’s.

My question of Ethics to everyone is: “Would you go though the effort of reburning + reprinting all your media just so they can get transfered onto some better quality media?”

Is this a wise desicion?
Will it really not make that much diffrence?
Discuss…

(Cheers)
metalsutton

I’m not sure what sort of quality Emtec media is; it might be worth finding out what it’s expected shelf-life is. If it’s shorter than you’d like then it probably is worth transferring to better media.

Another thought depends on what sort of data these disks are storing; if they’re audio cd’s you might want to think about converting them to high quality mp3 and then burning them onto DVDR to drastically reduce the number of disks you have to store.

I guess it all boils down to how much time you’ve got on your hands…

Sláinte

midders

I am now in the middle of transfering and re-coding all my old tape backups and they are almost 10 years old :eek: I did them onto CD-R’s, good quality ones and no problems yet and am about 3/4 through the transfers… I am burning them all to DVD+R’s but may in the future make a set of DVD-R’s as well… Dear to my heart stuff will be burned on Safegard 8x Verbatims MIT so they are scratch resistant … regular stuff will be on 16x Verbatims as they come on sale :rolleyes: to me it has been worth it to use good media… so I am doing it again … it is worth it to me

Cheers

[QUOTE=metalsutton;2103378]
My question of Ethics to everyone is: “Would you go though the effort of reburning + reprinting all your media just so they can get transfered onto some better quality media?”[/QUOTE]

If all my discs were on not-so-good media, then yes, absolutely!

When I had loads of my stuff on Ritek G05, I spent days reburning all my stuff onto better discs, and it was worth it. I had to go to some lengths to rescue some stuff off the G05s, though.

What I do these days is keep three sets of discs: the first set on whatever media I have lying around, the second set on Verbatim media, and the third set on TY discs.

BTW, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=midders;2103398]
…if they’re audio cd’s you might want to think about converting them to high quality mp3 and then burning them onto DVDR to drastically reduce the number of disks you have to store.[/QUOTE]

I do that, too - 3 sets of course :smiley: :iagree:

I also do much the same except my first copy is to TY or Verbs backups to day to day media.

If the media looks okay I would leave it as is. If I have reason to suspect it may degrade (e.g. seeing rapid degradation in other discs from the same type) I’d transfer it quickly.

Otherwise I’d just move the data every media generation or two (CD -> DVD or CD -> BR, etc.) which would also make it easier to handle.

I would also leave them if they dont show any signs of degradation.
If they still can be read back fine, theres no reason to reburn anything.

And burning everything on 3 different discs is a complete waste of money and time in my opinion.

[QUOTE=Womi;2103694]
And burning everything on 3 different discs is a complete waste of money and time in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

What can I say, after the G05 fiasco, where I DIDN’T have the data backed up, it saved my arse a few times shrugs :wink:

I’m also not the only CDF member to keep multiple backups. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2103706]What can I say, after the G05 fiasco, where I DIDN’T have the data backed up, it saved my arse a few times shrugs :wink:

I’m also not the only CDF member to keep multiple backups. ;)[/QUOTE]

Discs dont get unreadable from one day to another.
If you scan different batches of a MID from time to time, you can spot degradation before anything becomes unreadable.

When you have a huge amount of archival discs, this isn’t always possible, or I’d be there for weeks without time for anything else but checking discs.

Suffice to say, I’m a media freak and like to buy it and burn it. So if it has a dual purpose of keeping my data reasonably (not completely) safe, I can live with that.

Each to his/her own is my opinion. :wink:

[quote=Womi;2103719]If you scan different batches of a MID from time to time, you can spot degradation before anything becomes unreadable.[/quote] Scanning all your discs regularly is quite possibly an even greater waste of time.

I’d rather choose some media with known good longevity and burn redundant copies, instead of having to rescan everything all the time.

Different solutions for different people. :wink:

My idea of scanning discs regularly is up to a few times a year for the very important stuff, but it depends on use, if its not getting used I think that my use of good media and keeping it safe (I dont leave media out or in the sun).
…but even then the very important data has a multi disk (MCC and TY) master and working and I also use redundancy (via WinRar or Par) on the media as well so there can be a lot of data loss before I have to.