Media detection slow and failes sometimes!

I’ve got 10 imation dvd+rw (ricohjpn w11).
Is there any probleme with those dvd with the px 708a?
Somtimes eveything is fine.
Sometimes it takes 20-30 sec for detection.
Sometimes it speeds like crazy… and get red led blinking twice (i think media error)
When i got slow or error i hear some lens click (not strong but like the lens return to iddle state to retry focus).
PLease help.

I think i’ll call plextor to rma it (it’s brand new :3 daysand i’m in france)
Are they fast to replace it ?

So bad media (but imation (ricohjpn w11) are good dvd aren’t they?) or bad px708a?

I’ve got some prob with some memorex 24x gold and basf gold…
Is there any prob with gold layered media?
I know these are not so great media but there were fine in my old plex 121032a.

Thanks for replying.
best regards.
Ps sorry for my bad english but i’m french…

I called the hotline.
They told me to test with another brand(damn if incompatible i got 10 imations for 60€ rhaaaaa)
Wich one is good?
Sony,philips,Fuji plese help.

plextor’s web page has lists of compatible media. i don’t know if imation is good media but the list should make things clear.

i quote myself from another post:

the third can be a bit more difficult. it sounds like a slightly picky drive, but plextor’s web page has a list of recommended media. it can look pretty complicated, and i don’t know how to identify the batch (like “CDR-80 SWPY 20SN”), but i believe if you stick to things like maxell or tdk and dont buy cheap, little-known-brand discs, they should work well enough, if not at max speed.

recommended:
http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_708.html

compatible, though not as good:
http://www.plextor.com/english/supp...8Compatible.htm

I know but tere were fine on my px 121032a.
And for dvd+rw media imation uses ricoh w11
Ricoh w10 are supported media (best )

And for the price they sell the drive i hoped it can burn cheap media (but for starting i bought good media :
verbatim dvd+r dvd-r
imation (ricoh w11) because there were no verbatim dvd+rw.

Maybe w11 are low quality ricoh media.

But for the price of the drive it could burn on shitty media.
I know that w11 works fine on liteon 411s.
If plextor is so picky i should have bought an liteon saving more than 80€.
I bought plextor because of it’s brand(quality +++++) and mount rainier.
I had a px121032a wich could burn noname shiity cd (if you look to the layer you see that it was not good and like transparent cause it was so thin)
I expect the px 708a to be a little picky on those media but not on good brand like imation (wich well known in france like mitsui)

By the way the problem is’nt burning it’s detecting the media after closing the tray.
After that no prob burning reading…

Any advice for good and easy to find dvd+rw? (in france)

Originally posted by nuxator
Somtimes eveything is fine.
Sometimes it takes 20-30 sec for detection.
Sometimes it speeds like crazy… and get red led blinking twice (i think media error)
When i got slow or error i hear some lens click (not strong but like the lens return to iddle state to retry focus).
PLease help.[/B]

I had almost the same problems on my PX-708A TLA#0002 but only with CD-R, and there was no red blicking light. All other media including originally pressed CDs worked fine.

I did hear clicks and see the speed go up and down like crazy with slow detection speeds. I talked to plextor and they send me the RMA ticket this morning.

Instead, I got an exchange from the store where I bought it and the new one had TLA 0103 and there were no problems with the new drive.

ok i bought some sony and philips (philips are compatible media)
Blanck dvd ok.(detection is fast 15 sec)
When i burn on it(nero incd dla alcohol…) problems come back.
Even if i erase the dvd.
I guess it’s a burning problem (laser calibration or power).
Asked for rma trough web page on plextor.be.
Wait and see.