Media codes, manufacturers and countries

The last 3 days I’ve been reading threads and websites about media codes and manufacturers and I give up. Until now I learned that Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden score best among users. And that TY are ONLY made in Japan and that you not only need to check the media code but also the batch code since lots of fakes are spread. Also that brand names say nothing because all they do is buy media from other manufacturers that can be good/bad and put their name on it. But the verbatim stuff is even more confusing. I’ve seen a lot of MCC, CMC, Prodisc, Taiwan, India, Moser Baer, Singapore etc. And I also saw that users prefer Verbatims with media code MCC… and figured out that’s Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. OK, but is that made in Taiwan/India/Singapore… or does that depend? I went to the MCC website and could see hundreds of locations and companies that they have all around the world so that info was of no use either.
Does it make a difference to check if it’s made in Taiwan/India/Singapore or is the media code MCC enough to be sure of the quality? For instance, if you as a pro would buy an MCC004 DVD+R 16x disc sold by Verbatim because you know it rocks, do you give a damn whether it’s Taiwan/India/Singapore/whatever?

Thanks

Verbatim MCC disks are made using the same process developed by Mitsubishi, no matter which country/factory they are made in. There were some reports that the Verbatim disks made in India were of lesser quality, but that seems to be corrected these days, and many of our users and mods now like these Indian made disks quite well.

It is possible to find Verbatim in Europe that comes with Taiyo Yuden mid codes instead of the MCC codes. Those are not as well liked as the MCC code Verbatim.

You won’t find any single layer MCC media from Singapore these days…unless you live in Singapore…there may be some still there. The double layer dvds sold under the Verbatim brand are made there and in India, and there are some reports of them being produced in Taiwan now. These +R DL have either MKM001 or MKM003 mid codes. Singapore made DL Verbatim still have a better rep than the Indian ones, and the Taiwanese DL seem problematic so far.

So, for 16x Verb single layer, don’t worry about country of manufacture too much unless you are in Europe and don’t want the TY version.

For DL Verbatim, I’d still want the Singapore made disks, though the ones from India are probably ok. I’d avoid the Taiwanese made DL Verbatim.

Ooops. One addendum to that information.

There are some single layer Verbatims that are made in mainland China. I’ve never seen them, but apparently they exist, and are definitely ones to avoid. They don’t seem too common, but you should be aware of their existence.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2225028]
It is possible to find Verbatim in Europe that comes with Taiyo Yuden mid codes instead of the MCC codes. Those are not as well liked as the MCC code Verbatim. [/QUOTE]

:iagree:
My experience with Verbatim branded Taiyo Yuden +R single layer agrees with this statement.

I prefer Verbatim MCC004, MIT. I have had good luck with both the Prodisc and CMC Taiwan media made for Verbatim.

For Verbatim dual-layer discs, I have only tried Singapore made, and it seems good.

Thanks.
This post answered all my doubts about Verbatim media. So I will buy the Singapore made Verbatim DVD+RDL and the MCC Verbatim DVD+R instead of the TY.
Regards.

Hi.
Now I have a few questions.
I can buy Verbatim 8X DVD+RDL, but the seller is unable to verify the country where it was manufactured. Should I buy it?
Also they don’t specify the MID code of the Verbatim DVD+R single layer. What MID will I probably get?
Thanks in advance.

[quote=engine;2225636]I can buy Verbatim 8X DVD+RDL, but the seller is unable to verify the country where it was manufactured. Should I buy it?[/QUOTE]Yes or maybe no. Only you can decide. :wink:

Also they don’t specify the MID code of the Verbatim DVD+R single layer. What MID will I probably get?
Most likely MCC 004 or else it will be YUDEN000 T03. Assuming you’re buying in Europe.

I will be buying them from Europe.
Anyone else had Experience with Verbatim DL media made in Taiwan or India?
What about Philips DVD+RDL 8X media? I can get those for a little less.

PS: The Philips seem to be CMC -> http://www.cmcdisc.com/DR8S8B25F-17.htm
They probably don’t burn as well as the Verbatim due to poor Burner support.

[QUOTE=engine;2225608]Thanks.
This post answered all my doubts about Verbatim media. So I will buy the Singapore made Verbatim DVD+RDL and the MCC Verbatim DVD+R instead of the TY.
Regards.[/QUOTE]
??? Are you answering people in my place? Don’t worry, I was going to answer to the replies, I’m not dead yet you know, I simply went to work for 1 day and since they don’t have internet at 42000feet, my reply had to wait till now.

To Kerry56 & uSerKey:
Thanks for clearing that up for me. One more question: The Verbatims with Taiyo Yuden MID code, are these fake Taiyo Yudens that are not made in Japan? Because TY is considered as one of the best manufacturers from what I read so I’m wondering if you have genuine Taiyo Yudens, and a company labels them Verbatim, how can they be bad?

[QUOTE=Delta007bhd;2225745]??? Are you answering people in my place? Don’t worry, I was going to answer to the replies, I’m not dead yet you know, I simply went to work for 1 day and since they don’t have internet at 42000feet, my reply had to wait till now.[/QUOTE]

No I am not answering people in your place. I just happened to have the same questions as you. I did a forum search and found your thread. By answering you they provided answers for my questions also. I didn’t meant to offend you.
These forums are public. Anyone can come here ask or answer all they want. Provided they respect the forum rules.

QUOTE=Delta007bhd;2225745The Verbatims with Taiyo Yuden MID code, are these fake Taiyo Yudens that are not made in Japan? Because TY is considered as one of the best manufacturers from what I read so I’m wondering if you have genuine Taiyo Yudens, and a company labels them Verbatim, how can they be bad?[/QUOTE]

I don’t believe the Verbatim are fake TY. Verbatim could just order them to Taiyo Yuden or any other manufacturer. The quality could be inferior to TY branded media though.

The Verbatim with TY mid codes are genuine Taiyo Yuden disks. They just seem to be lesser quality than what are normally seen from Taiyo Yuden, either in the bulk packs that we see in the US or under the TY brand name That’s.

Every manufacturer has slight variations…grades of media sold under the same mid code. You can find “value line” TY for sale here in the US for example. It is normally pretty good, but is not guaranteed to be as good as the “premium” TY.

The Taiwanese MCC disks get better reviews from our European members than the Verbatim TY, so it seems Verbatim augments their supply by buying the lesser grade TY for sale in Europe. (note: no proof of this on my part…just relating common knowledge/experience from members here at cdfreaks). This isn’t to say the Verbatim TY’s are terrible…they just aren’t the first choice for many here.

OK thanks all for the help.

No I am not answering people in your place. I just happened to have the same questions as you. I did a forum search and found your thread. By answering you they provided answers for my questions also. I didn’t meant to offend you.
These forums are public. Anyone can come here ask or answer all they want. Provided they respect the forum rules.

Of course, it just looked really weird since instead of putting your question in one post you made 2 posts. The first post looked as if you were closing the discussion I started and your second post was like “ok, now it’s my turn”.
I misunderstood you:flower:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2225028]Verbatim MCC disks are made [B]using the same process developed by Mitsubishi, no matter which country/factory they are made in.[/B] There were some reports that the Verbatim disks made in India were of lesser quality, but that seems to be corrected these days, and many of our users and mods now like these Indian made disks quite well… [/QUOTE]
That may not be exactly true. It would appear that the well loved Verb DL from Singapore use the more expensive to produce 2P (Surface Transfer Process) method for their discs, while the the faster Verbs made in India use the cheaper to produce IS (Inverse Stack) method. The 2nd tier DL manufacturers early on moved to IS methods to cut costs. With older DL burners this may explain why Singapore Verbs worked well while others did not. More of a 2P vs. IS process rather than dyes or brands.

There were some reports that the Verbatim disks made in India were of lesser quality, but that seems to be corrected these days

Was it a true ‘improvement’? Or is it that new burners are now more comfortable/geared to the IS process.

It was cheaper to go to India (IS ready) rather than revamp the Singapore production line to IS.

Just some random thoughts, I could be wrong… :slight_smile:

The quotes you’ve taken from my posts referred to the single layer disks being produced in India, not the DL.

Do you have any proof that the DL Verbatim made in India are using Inverse Stack? It would be the first I’ve heard of this. There was some speculation in the blank media forum that the Taiwanese DL being sold under the Verbatim brand were indeed made with inverse stack.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2225814]The quotes you’ve taken from my posts referred to the single layer disks being produced in India, not the DL.

Do you have any proof that the DL Verbatim made in India are using Inverse Stack? It would be the first I’ve heard of this. There was some speculation in the blank media forum that the Taiwanese DL being sold under the Verbatim brand were indeed made with inverse stack.[/QUOTE]
Forgive the SL/DL mix up.

Do you have any proof

Just some random thoughts, I could be wrong…

Not really, but a well respected and [B]very[/B] eloquent mutli-degree optical engineer from another forum stated as much. In today’s highly competitive market a move to cheaper production methods does make sense and is inevitable.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2225028]…These +R DL have either MKM001 or MKM003 mid codes. Singapore made DL Verbatim still have a better rep than the Indian ones, and the Taiwanese DL seem problematic so far…[/QUOTE]

On this online shop, what is the difference between the first (DVD+R 8.5GB 8x VERBATIM DL print. 10er) and the fourth (DVD+R 8.5GB 8x VERBATIM DL print. 25er)? Note that the picture says 2.4x and the description says 8x. On videohelp.com for MKM 001 and MKM 003 I get Verbatim and Verbatim DataLifePlus. What is the story behind Verbatim DataLife and DataLifePlus? Are they good too?
Last, how can I make sure I get the DL made in Singapore? Is that written on the label? I can’t find the info on the xmedia site either.

[QUOTE=Delta007bhd;2226527]On this online shop, what is the difference between the first (DVD+R 8.5GB 8x VERBATIM DL print. 10er) and the fourth (DVD+R 8.5GB 8x VERBATIM DL print. 25er)? Note that the picture says 2.4x and the description says 8x. On videohelp.com for MKM 001 and MKM 003 I get Verbatim and Verbatim DataLifePlus. What is the story behind Verbatim DataLife and DataLifePlus? Are they good too?
Last, how can I make sure I get the DL made in Singapore? Is that written on the label? I can’t find the info on the xmedia site either.[/QUOTE]

Hi.

MKM 001 is 2.4X DVD+RDL media. MKM 003 is 8X DVD+RDL media.
It’s hard to know the manufacturing country when buying online. Unless the store specifies. They could have them from India, Taiwan or Singapore, and then you will get whatever they pick for you.