Media and UPS truck, heat kills it?

vbimport

It is a common knowledge that some on-line film developing companies receive “dead” rolls of film because they virtually bake inside of UPS or FedEX trucks. I’m in Texas and I got some new computer parts directly from hands of UPS drivers and the packages were HOT.

I ordered some media a week ago and it arriving very soon.

Question, does the heat while in delivery damages or kills the media? Could it disintegrate faster after the arrival? Can it develop problems in a few months after the exposure to heat for a long time, like in UPS truck?

What do you think?

i would think so, let’s say, on a 75 degree day, a car on the inside can get to 120-125 degrees, in a truck, why would it be different, plus it’s in a closed package, i wouldn’t doubt that things die while in the packages, plus, it’s extreme heat for probably 4-7 days or more

my suggestion is, stop buying media online, i would rather walk 5 minutes to buy 8.99 fuji ty’s then wait over a week for hot/killed media, which is most likely overpriced anyway

I payed only $55 including shipping for 50 DVD-Rs 4x. I consider it a deal. The only thing that I worry is the heat in the truck.

It’s called “hot truck syndrome”, and yes optical media is affected. 125’F is considered maximum temp for any computer media. Since the dye is changed by heat, heating the entire disc results in media that is either un-usable or results in very low-quality burns. Not every disc in a spindle will necessarily be affected though, and there’s no way to tell till you try burning it.

I doubt there were any differences in transporation methods
from your internet merchant to your house, versus the manufacturer to the local computer store. They all had to sit inside a truck for extended periods. MAYBE the media bought from an online merchant had to go through two trips (manufacturer to merchant, to you), versus one for the local store (manufacturer to local retailer). But it could just as easily been stored at the retailer’s warehouse prior to shipping to the local stores.

You know…it’s crazy…but I ONLY buy online/store-bought media and stamped cd’s in the winter…just because of this reason…

Granted, the stuff may have shipped in the summer, but the chances are less than in the winter…especially…new releases-online…

Call int anal-retentive…I call it SMART buying…some don’t care or know…I plan around the weather…I even travel with overcast or cool conditions…I make that my luxury and priority…

I used to live in Dallas…I NEVER bought between May and September…100 degree + days are NO GOOD for anything…:a

ever heard of climate control…

almost all of the “big” companies in food, media, candy use climate controlled trucks.

for example, if your theory is correct about media or anything else being shipped in hot trucks, how is candy not melted when it’s in the store?

all i know is, 90% of optical media manufacturers use climate controlled shipping, for the temperature reason

90% of optical media manufacturers use climate controlled shipping

They may, but UPS does not, and neither does BestBuy or WalMart.

Of course I’ve heard of climate control…

However, I’ve never seen an air conditioned trailer behind Bestbuy, CircuitCity, Staples, or OfficeMax in my life…

I’ve seen boxes of merchandise sit on warehouse loading docks for hours in the intense TEXAS heat…Do you really think these truckers and dock workers give 2 shits about what’s in the boxes…B.S…

It pays to be skeptical of business practices…Haven’t you been around long enough to know BETTER…

I order Mitsui from an online wholeseller and I make sure I’m home when it’s brought by FEDEX…Not the postal service either…I like to track my shipment and know when it’s been scanned at my local distributor…I’m there to get it HAND delivered…

I’m not this fanatical about everything I do…just music and a couple of other delights…