Media and hp burner

vbimport

i have a pavilion a6442p, dual core, lots of memory and hd, w/ lightscribe dvd supermuliti drive/cd writer and vista home prem. the problem is that it will not burn to any blank dvd(verbatim, tdk, memorex, magnavox etc). i have moved to slowest burning speed, use dvdfab platinum, have nero,. no error messages just popup saying that it will not burn. there is no log file, either. of course, this is after it has started and i ruin the dvd. i have an external liteon and have the same problem if i try to burn on the pavilion. with the liteon, i could use the cheapest media and NEVER have a bad burn. i did not have this problem w/ xp and my old hp. all drivers are up to date as is the dvdfab. any suggestion?
thanks.

[QUOTE=golflady;2075987] no error messages just popup saying that it will not burn. [/QUOTE]

Hi golflady,
what is the exact error message? What is the type of your drive and does it read CD and DVD media?

yes it reads and writes dvd and cd. it is a lightscribe super multi drive.
as i stated, there is not error message. just a popup stating that it could not burn

[B]Here are the instructions[/B] from HP on this problem

You should print out the page with the instructions. The most pertinent parts are probably removing the drive from Device Manager and clearing the registry filters.

[quote=Kerry56;2076388][B]Here are the instructions[/B] from HP on this problem

You should print out the page with the instructions. The most pertinent parts are probably removing the drive from Device Manager and clearing the registry filters.[/quote]

While the HP instructions are indeed long, wordy and intense, I just wanted to chime in that they are usually accurate. I followed a similar set of instructions when my sound card suddenly stopped working about a month ago and all has been well since.

to make things even simpler, is it possible to just remove all the cyberlink programs from the computer without losing needed codex? Thus, my dvdfab and nero would be the only burning programs available? I have looked at all of these programs and just don’t see the need for any of them. I am hesitant, though, since I am not a wiz. Just how much of a mistake would this be, since I would not be using these programs anyway?

I can’t promise this, but there is pretty much an open-source [and perfectly legal] codec out there for everything, so it shouldn’t hurt to remove CyberLink software. If you run into any issues, you could always reinstall it. :iagree:

thanks for all the info and help. i deleted all that had anything to do with cyberlink…copied my 1st movie (an oldie)and had absolutely no problem. used the cheapest media that i had. again, thanks for everyone’s suggestions. don’t know what computer challenged people like me would do without you.