Media Advice - DL ?!?!

Hi All,

Need some advice please if possible…

I need a good quality DVD-DL or DVD+DL disc to burn in volume. I’m looking for reliable results both in successful burns and ability to be played back on most home DVD players. Data to be burnt is DVD-Video.

I’m currently using 2x LiteOn LH-20A1P drives but have been considering the switch over to 2x Samsung SH-S203B drives.

I need the disc to be full-face printable & my budget per disc could be stretched to £1.50/$3 but ideally a £1/$2 would be great, I’m aware that I can’t have everything in life!! lol

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, I usually burn DVD-R discs and have been using TY Watershield with fantastic results!!

Again:

[ul]
[li]DVD-DL or DVD+DL (Not fully aware on benefits of either :-S )
[/li][li]Full-Face Printable
[/li][li]Good Quality & Compatability In Standalone DVD Players
[/li][li]~£1/$2 per disc … Pushing £1.50/$3 If Need Be
[/li][li]To Be Burnt In LiteOn LH-20A1P (KL0N) or Samsung SH-S203B Drives
[/li][/ul]

I know its a lot to ask for but thats why I’ve turned to the best place!! :smiley:

Thanks in advance for any advice which is kindly given,

Jay

My only recommendation is Verbatim DVD+R DL. Anything else who knows how they will burn IMHO.

[QUOTE=tgidday;1924380]My only recommendation is Verbatim DVD+R DL. Anything else who knows how they will burn IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I second that :iagree:

[QUOTE=jumney1;1924376]I’m looking for reliable results both in successful burns and ability to be played back on most home DVD players. Data to be burnt is DVD-Video.

I’m currently using 2x LiteOn LH-20A1P drives but have been considering the switch over to 2x Samsung SH-S203B drives.
[/QUOTE]
Don’t buy the Samsung if you want maximum compatibility: :disagree:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s203b-dual-layer-only-scans-discussions-230284/#post1912816
And my post in the same thread. Everybody raves over them because of the burning speed and good-looking error scans, but I have this +R DL compatibility problem, and I see a lot of problem reports that appear to be quality control related as well. I like my Pioneer but it’s not the fastest and seems somewhat picky about cheap media.

As far as +R DL media, Verbatim purple top is by far the most reliable in my experience although some have had luck with RICOHJPN D01 and RITEK S04 in known brands. The RICOHJPN works for me but has issues reading in certain drives, so again is probably not what you want for compatibility.

[QUOTE=Arachne;1924398]I second that :iagree:[/QUOTE]

I Third That lol. cause from what i read it seems like Verbatim DVD+R DL is the only consistent DL media out there that you can expect to work time and time again.

from my own exp … i have only bought dvd+r dl verbatim and it worked everytime and i got a slightly older burner to which is from 2005. (lite-on 1673s)

This is why I posted here :slight_smile:

Good solid advice guys!!

The media I’ve found have the MKM001 dye … Is this ok??

Many Thanks

Are they MIS or MII, Made in India I have had some problems (with me, and my burners(some coasters) never had a problem with the made in Singapore

[QUOTE=tgidday;1924649]Are they MIS or MII, Made in India I have had some problems (with me, and my burners(some coasters) never had a problem with the made in Singapore[/QUOTE]

That’s a good question as MII can be variable. MIS is the best and only option IMO for Verbatim DL media.

MKM001 is not a dye btw. It’s a media identification code. Several manufacturers use a specific dye but all have differen’t MID.

Verbatim DL are not full face printable.

Taiyo -R DL Tyg11 are.

[quote=theEye;1924879]Verbatim DL are not full face printable.[/QUOTE]True.

Taiyo -R DL Tyg11 are.
But DVD-R DL is the least compatible format with DVD players; DVD+R DL is much more compatible.

[QUOTE=theEye;1924879]Verbatim DL are not full face printable.

Taiyo -R DL Tyg11 are.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks then :frowning:

I usually buy from S*P and they don’t stock TY DL’s … They do have a new Philips +R DL though!!! Very tempted as Philips are usually good (although my only experience was with CD-R with Philips!!)

I’ve requested the media information but no reply as yet, I might have to find a new supplier :-S

I recently purchased “Intact” DL media off ebay. Have not received yet but it’s full face printable. Reports are that it’s CMC MAG D01, which can sometimes be good. If you can find this media, I suggest giving it a shot as it may work well + it’s full face printable.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5pcs-8-5GB-Blank-DVD-R-DL-Dual-layer-8X-Hub-Printable_W0QQitemZ130170393612QQihZ003QQcategoryZ80135QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why isn’t there a sticky about this? There are lots of threads asking this and everyone of those threads has lots of responses saying the same.

[quote=joseph5;1925112]Why isn’t there a sticky about this? There are lots of threads asking this and everyone of those threads has lots of responses saying the same.[/quote] My reason for not sticking a thread with media recommended by CDFreaks is, that I think it would look like CDFreaks is recommending a certain brand.

For the same reason there’s no sticky about which media to avoid.

The poll threads that are sticky in this forum show user recommendations, not “official” CDFreaks recommendations, and I like to keep it that way.

[QUOTE=joseph5;1925112]Why isn’t there a sticky about this? There are lots of threads asking this and everyone of those threads has lots of responses saying the same.[/QUOTE]

And media gets replaced or changes quality in time.

I have very specific requirements for a blank media, especially as I require a Full-Face Printable media … Not something which is common amongst the manufacturers :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=tgidday;1924649]Are they MIS or MII, Made in India I have had some problems (with me, and my burners(some coasters) never had a problem with the made in Singapore[/QUOTE]

What sort of problems have you come across?

Also a question/comment for anyone reading, has Verbatim completely switched over to manafacturing their blanks in India or is there still batches coming out of Singapore? If they have or will be in the near future, I’d be curious to see what would be the best alternative to Verbatim then assuming the ones made in India are as problematic as I’m being led to believe.

It think there is less quality control in India, still do not have a problem finding ones made in Singapore. Some of the India cakes I have had throw a coaster 8-10 times per 50, unacceptable! Now if I slow the burn down by 25% only get 3-4 coasters, so I do not buy made in India media anymore.

. . . has Verbatim completely switched over to manafacturing their blanks in India or is there still batches coming out of Singapore ?

Does anybody know if the is a risk that [B]soon[/B] the Verbatim DVD+D DL [B]2,4x[/B] certified (code MKM-001) Made in Singapore
are going to disappear [B]completely[/B] from the stores ?

I begin to see 10-spindles of 2,4x Verbatim DVD+R DL [B]MIS and MII mixed together[/B] on the same shelves …

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1923460-post2.html

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/2-4x-dl-media-rant-231240/#post1923460

[B]Completely[/B] outsourced to MBI ?

I jost got 2 20s from Newegg, and they are MII. So far the first couple have been OK, but I too had 9 coasters out of 50 pk from Sam’s a few month ago.