Meatloaf recipes

vbimport

As I always wanted to try it and Alan reminded me about it due to his lunch in the what’s for lunch thread, I made a meatloaf today for dinner. Yummy, one of the best things I ate for a while.

I made a pretty basic one with minced meat, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, milk and a topping of ketchup, mustard and brown sugar. Really loved it, best thing there’s something left for tomorrow and my girlfriend didn’t even want to try. I guess it could be even better tomorrow.

So now I’m looking for more meatloaf recipes, anyone with favorites?

Isn’t the most important ingredient a Bat Out of Hell? :smiley:

Mine is fairly simple.
approx 3 pounds ground beef.
2 - 8oz cans of tomato sauce
1 to 2 eggs depending on egg size & personal prefference .
The next ingredient is rice .
I have found it to be superior to bread crumbs .
I use 1 cup of cooked that has “dried” for a day in the refridgerator .
You can use 1/2 to 3/4 cup of Minute rice instead.

For spices it is to taste but I use fresh ground black pepper . A pretty good amount of paprika ( because I like it.) Some salt . Garlic powder. & a couple of tablespoons of Worchestershire sauce.

I mix in only one can of the tomato sauce .
Mix everything else together & form into a loaf.
I use a glass 9x11" pan.
Then cook at 350° F for 2 hours .
Cover during the last hour with aluminium foil to prevent over browning.
I also need to “drain” some liquid off about every hour of less.
If I don’t it will run over the sides. & the meat loaf is soggy.

After the 2 hours I top with the other can of tomato sauce .
The let the meat loaf set in the hot but turned off oven for another 1/2 hour.
After that it can be eaten but if you let it cool some it slices better.

Aaai, Roar, when I hear Paradise by the dashboard light from the same singer, I nearly have to puke. I know this song is probably good for lots of babies in a generation before me. But in the bar I always went to when I was 10 years younger they played it at least 2 times a night and all the old people started to sing along and dance to it, that Meat Loaf is on my personal ban list :wink:

Cholla, reading your recipe, it’s almost like an art how you make it. Is this a family recipe? I don’t know how popular meatloaf is in the US, but I don’t know many people here who make it, but wow, I love it so much! I really love the taste of it.

I actually like your recipe, it will be the next one I’ll make, not so sure about the rice tough. What kind of rice do you use? Cause I can imagine the ones with a ‘nut’ taste to it will not be that nice (and there’s so much choice in rice in the supermarket!)

Sorry if I’m overasking, I just got very enthusiastic about this dish :wink:

I just use regular long grain white rice . Then put it on a plate in the fridge for a day.
That kind of dehydrates it. It still has more moisture in it than Minute rice . That’s one of the reasons in needs to be drained some.
The other reason is the amount of fat in the ground beef.
The fatter the ground beef the more that will need to be drained.
It sounds like more work than it is. Just take a peek at it every 30 minutes or so. If the liquid looks like it is getting close to the top take out the pan & drain some off.

Minute rice amounts to being the same about .
It is already cooked dehydrated rice. More expensive though.

My recipe is just kind of a combination of what I’ve learned over the years.

Just like I top mine with tomato sauce then let it set in the oven for 30 minutes more. That turns it into a crust of tomato sauce.
If you like yours sweeter you could do the same with just ketchup .
Or even the mixture you used above.

You should really give the rice a try . I don’t think you will ever go back to bread crumbs.

For the first time you try rice Minute rice might be easier.
I don’t know if you have that brand where you live.
This is a link so you can see if you can find a comparable product.
I’m sure there will be one.
http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/products/99/WhiteRice.aspx

One more note.
If you use Minute rice or it’s equavalent it can be mixed into the meat dry just like it comes from its’ box.

The long grain white rice has to be cooked like you would eat it as plain rice.
I use a 1/2 cup of long grain white rice cooked in 1 cup of water & a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar.(The acid makes the rice less sticky).
This makes about 1 cup of rice to mix in.

Many different materials can be used as an absorbant…

I find Long grain rice to be a poor absorbant in the typical cooking time of a meatloaf, “Quick” rice not much better, but “instant rice” seems to work ok

Oatmeal works very well as do corn flakes, I don’t like using saltines for meatloaf
(but they are preferred for Salmon or tuna casserole due to their neutral flavor)

Oatmeal tends to help bind the meatloaf together without using additional eggs.

If there is a lot of fat draining out of the meatloaf you either need to use chopped
meat with less fat or use more absorbant.

Another absorbant you can use is instead of chopping fresh onions use dried minced onions, they are “hungry” for moisture.

If the meatloaf is too crumbly add more eggs

The thing to remember is that a meatloaf or a fish casserole are
in essence a “savory meat custard”.

How do I make it? Highly variable depending on my mood and available ingredients
as well as what I plan to serve it with.

I’ve used Beef, Venison, Bison, veal, ground pork, even ground lamb,
as well as mixtures of most of these…

One of the best was Bison with partially cooked bacon and carmelized onions
mixed into it.

Do like I do & just drain of the extra fat.
I usually just use ground beef either 73 or 80 % lean depending which is on sale.

Minute rice is instant rice. It is the first rice I tried for meat loaf.
Later I switched to long grain . But again I dehydrate the long grain at least some.
Spreading a cup of rice on a plate & leaving it about 24 hours open in the fridge dehydrates it quite a bit. So it is more absorbent. Just not as absorbent as instant.

The egg amount is why I posted 1 to two eggs.
Do you want the meat loaf to taste like eggs?
Obviously if you use 2 Jumbo eggs it will be a lot more “eggy” that one large egg.

I also have used dried minced onions & not bad if you want the onion flavor.
I still use rice in all my meat loafs .

I may have to give the oatmeal a try a sometime.
I think it would be a lot like bread crumbs but I might be wrong.

no no no do not like meatloaf.

[QUOTE=samlar;2699309]no no no do not like meatloaf.[/QUOTE]

You’re not alone. I’ve had several people say they don’t like meatloaf.
I think they have just never had a good one. But that leaves more for me.

I think I would really like Allan’s :
Bison with partially cooked bacon and carmelized onions
mixed into it.

I don’t care for salmon or tuna cassarole but I like a good tuna sandwich made with Miracle Whip & tomato .
I also like fried salmon patties.
So it’s not the fish but the texture of a fish cassorole that I don’t like.

If you want an Itallian meatloaf sometime add a good amount of oregano , some mushrooms , & more garlic (even fresh garlic well chopped or crushed). If you like serve some pasta on the side.

Haha, my girlfriend also doesn’t like meatloaf, I don’t mind at all. I’'ll try your recipe next week Cholla, very curious how it will taste!

[QUOTE=cholla;2699370]You’re not alone. I’ve had several people say they don’t like meatloaf.
I think they have just never had a good one. But that leaves more for me.

I think I would really like Allan’s :
Bison with partially cooked bacon and carmelized onions
mixed into it.

I don’t care for salmon or tuna cassarole but I like a good tuna sandwich made with Miracle Whip & tomato .
I also like fried salmon patties.
So it’s not the fish but the texture of a fish cassorole that I don’t like.

If you want an Itallian meatloaf sometime add a good amount of oregano , some mushrooms , & more garlic (even fresh garlic well chopped or crushed). If you like serve some pasta on the side.[/QUOTE]

I never mind when people claim to not like something… it simply means more for me!

As for garlic in the meatloaf? try “Studding” the outside of a meatloaf with whole cloves…

roasted garlic = YUM!

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2699460]I never mind when people claim to not like something… it simply means more for me!

As for garlic in the meatloaf? try “Studding” the outside of a meatloaf with whole cloves…

roasted garlic = YUM![/QUOTE]

Allan , Sounds like you do some good cooking .
I’ve never roasted garlic by studding it on a meatloaf.
I regularly roast a whole head of garlic .
I then take a loaf of french or Italian bread slice into thick slices.
Melt butter on it then spread a clove or more of the roasted garlic on each slice.
Give it another 5 minutes or so in the oven.
Good with most meals but extra good with spaghetti .

I thought I would post some pictures of my regular meatloaf.
I had to cook one first as I had never taken pictures of one.

The first two pictures show what the meatloaf looks like after 30 minutes cooking in a preheated oven @ 350° F . This is the first drain of fat & water. You can see it’s almost to the top of the baking dish.

This is the 2 hour cooked meatloaf before topped with an 8oz. can of tomato sauce :

This is the final cooked meatloaf after setting in the hot but turned off oven for 30 more minutes to crust the tomato sauce. The black on top is fresh ground black pepper.

My meatloaf looks like a loaf of bread only its meat.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2700029]My meatloaf looks like a loaf of bread only its meat.

Mine too-eh!

Mine kind of looks like a flat cake .
About 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick .
I start with about 3 lbs of ground beef & a cup of rice.
I’m not sure what it weighs when done.
It slices nice though.

BTW all I see of the image from ImageShack is the infamous red X

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2700055][QUOTE=alan1476;2700029]My meatloaf looks like a loaf of bread only its meat.

Mine too-eh![/QUOTE]
Yo Mike , we old folks know how to make a good meatloaf. LOL.:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2700059][QUOTE=bigmike7;2700055]
Yo Mike , we old folks know how to make a good meatloaf. LOL. [/QUOTE]

Plus - when y’all make a loaf size - it fits justright on your sammie-eh! :clap::iagree::clap:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2700059]
we old folks know how to make a good meatloaf. LOL.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
I’m going to put myself in the “old folks” crowd .

How thick is y’alls meatloaf ?

Do you use one of those metal pans with a rack that are made for meatloaf ?

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2700061]

Plus - when y’all make a loaf size - it fits justright on your sammie-eh! :clap::iagree::clap:[/QUOTE]

Mine is a little wide . so I just cut the slice in half & put both halves on the sammie. It’s a good fit for the bread I use.

I measured my glass pan & it’s 7.5 X 12 inches.
that’s close to the loaf size.