Me again :)

What would be a good DVD/BD-R reader choice? :slight_smile:

There aren’t many choices these days for Blu-ray drives. LG and Pioneer are the two most recommended brands since Lite-on stopped making BD drives and Samsung is only making slim ones these days as far as I am aware.

If you need a drive for quality scans of BD media, I’d suggest looking for a used Lite-on BD burner, like an IHBS112.

If you just want a reader, then the Pioneer BDR-209 or the LG WH16NS40 or WH14NS40 would be fine. Asus sells rebadged drives from LG, so I don’t pay much attention to them.

Ok. Thank you very kindly for your answer. I don’t think I can get hold of LG WH16NS40 or WH14NS40 but LG BH16NS55 is available. Is LG BH16NS55 equal in reading performance as the other two?

Yes, its basically the same drive, just the retail version I believe.

Thank you. I am purchasing it then for the readings. Let me know if you guys want some “scans”…Got me recently BD-R panasonic media…got DVD+R Verbatims as well…Or anything I can do to repay your kind answers :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, there is only one model of LG BD-RE drive capable of scanning in the traditional sense, and the BH16NS55 is not known to be capable. Thank you for the kind offer of “repayment”, though.

You can let us know how you get on with the drive. That’ll help if we need to recommend drives to others in the future. :slight_smile:

Oh please Albert do share the model number? :slight_smile: maybe I can obtain it on ebay? even if it is used but I do am I bit cautious when it comes to used computer hardware…Ordered once a mobo for my laptop from ebay fro about 160 euros…got it broken and sending it back didn’t give me my money back.

Ofc I will share the info. That is why I am here :slight_smile:

Please let me know what LG model that is? :slight_smile:

Do not trip over yourself to search, but it is the WH16NS48DUP, or WH16NS48DQ.

Older versions of the NS40 models Kerry mentioned would also be able to do it (crossflashing would be required), but LG also reused the NS40 model names on drives that are really NS50 or NS55 models in hardware. :doh:

Given the media you plan to use, scanning isn’t at all required, so going for the BH16NS55 isn’t a bad idea.

He wasn’t using “quality scans” earlier Albert. Just the ScanDisc in Nero CD/DVD Speed. I believe any burner can do those.

To do quality scans for BD, wouldn’t he also need Optidrive Control as well as a suitable drive?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2788189]He wasn’t using “quality scans” earlier Albert. Just the ScanDisc in Nero CD/DVD Speed. I believe any burner can do those.[/QUOTE]Thank you for the correction. Yes, any drive can be used with that feature, as far as I know.

Using the latest version of CD/DVD Speed should allow it to at least realize that you’re using BD media & represent it correctly for use with the Scandisc function. If not that, then maybe DiscSpeed (the updated version that was only available from the Nero site, before ODC was released) is required.

To do quality scans for BD, wouldn’t he also need Optidrive Control as well as a suitable drive?

Indeed. I mistakenly thought this is what you two were talking about, but ODC + whichever suitable drive is the most popular combination for LDC/BIS scanning.

[QUOTE=nidzo;2788162]What would be a good DVD/BD-R reader choice? :)[/QUOTE]
I have a Pioneer BD-206 which is > five years old and still running strong. No partial rip-lock that my BD-209 has. Both are great burners. Both are still available by searching for them.
Jeff

Yes that is correct I was not doing quality scans as Nero would spit out something about Pioneer 209EBD not supporting that function. And the “old” dvd burner (TSSTCorp CDDVDW SH-224DB SB01) wouldn’t do the “quality scans” either. That is why I scanned with just normal scan in the first place and that is why asked if there is a BD-R reader that can do that. I didn’t use Opti Drive Control at that point.
Anyways Pioneer 209EDB gets called by Opti Drive Control (as well as other burn/scan programs) Pioneer DR-RW BDR-209M. 209M?? The package said 209EBD. So I am a little confused about that too. Thanks for your replies guys. I am gonna keep on scaning and copying my precious data. Memorex Cds are in really bad shape/miscoloured as I stated earlier.

Two off-topic comments:

Pioneer BDR-209E, 209U, and 209M (as well as the U.S.A.'s BDR-2209 retail package) are all BDR-209M models with the same reading & writing support, just marketed for different markets. They share the same firmware, etc etc. So they all identify as the 209M they are. :slight_smile:

The SH-224DB can do DVD quality scans (PIE/PIF) I believe, but CD/DVD Speed requires a registry edit to enable it. Once enabled, it technically also does CD quality scans (C1/C2), but due to the chipset used, it’s not quite as useful for that (you don’t get the full picture).

Back in the day, they said Samsungs could not scan, but after making a trip into the registry, they could. Oh sorry, way off topic.

Thanks for the info. I just wish you pointed me to a link where I could read about that reg edit :).EDIT:nm I found it here in the forum) Btw one more question relevant to the scans. I have copied some CDs already but when I do the DiscScan with Nero DiscSpeed it shows red (aka bad) sectors. How can the data in that case be copied if it is bad/damaged? Can I really trust that the data copied is still good or is Nero DiscSpeed just behaving wierdly? Thanks for your answers guys u are awesome :slight_smile:

Drives have error correction built into them, so that when they hit sections on a disc that are difficult to read, they can work through them usually. You’ll notice the drive speed slowing down considerably, sometimes going to an absolute crawl as it attempts to read the data. Of course, the number of read attempts vary with the software being used.

If the errors occur in a manner that cannot be read, then you will get a read failure and the process stops. Some software will allow read errors, then move to the next section, but most do not. ISOBuster, for example, will recover what it can, but with errors in the data, you might just be getting garbage.

When playing video or music in stand alone players, like your DVD or Blu-ray player connected to your TV, the drive within them will often times skip over bad sectors, with just a momentary glitch in the playback, but when copying on the computer, most software will not allow this, and a complete failure in reading a section will shut down the process.