Mdeia center 2005 reinstall not working at all

vbimport

OK so here goes. I had a major crash recently, BSOD said “Page Fault in non paged area” and no matter what I did, I could not boot, even in safe mode. Dell was their usual helpful selves, so I ended up reinstalling Win XP Home Edition from a legit CD I had here from Dell. Then, I upgraded to WinXP Media Center 2005 BUT since that DVD is not bootable for some strange reason, I had to copy the contents to a 1TB storage drive and install from there. Everything went fine, however, Media Center would not even open up. Eventually I edited the registry to at least allow eshell.exe to open but I cannot get MCE to open full screen (screen goes black) and it does not see my TV video card, the very same card that was working quite fine just a day before this BSOD hit.

I am totally lost, i admit it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Since I don’t own a DVR, this served as one for me and I miss it immensely.

If there is any information that would be helpful, please ask and I will try to find out everything. The PC is a Dell E510 that came with MCE 2005 installed from the factory, so it was working quite well until this.

Thank you all in advance.

[QUOTE=tscarano;2473075]OK so here goes. I had a major crash recently, BSOD said “Page Fault in non paged area” and no matter what I did, I could not boot, even in safe mode. Dell was their usual helpful selves, so I ended up reinstalling Win XP Home Edition from a legit CD I had here from Dell. Then, [B]I upgraded to WinXP Media Center 2005 BUT since that DVD is not bootable for some strange reason, I had to copy the contents to a 1TB storage drive and install from there.[/B] Everything went fine, however, Media Center would not even open up. Eventually I edited the registry to at least allow eshell.exe to open but I cannot get MCE to open full screen (screen goes black) and it does not see my TV video card, the very same card that was working quite fine just a day before this BSOD hit.

I am totally lost, i admit it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Since I don’t own a DVR, this served as one for me and I miss it immensely.

If there is any information that would be helpful, please ask and I will try to find out everything. The PC is a Dell E510 that came with MCE 2005 installed from the factory, so it was working quite well until this.

Thank you all in advance.[/QUOTE]

Did you enter the product key ? and most likely you should have had to call MS for a new product key, also if you was able to copy the contents off the disc then that means it is readable thus you should be able to install from it.

Yes I did have to call MS and get a new product key, which I did. I also was able to copy the entire DVD to a drive to do the install. The DVD is readable but evidently not bootable. I am so lost I have no clue how to make MCE work again and its frustrating. Thanks again!

[QUOTE=tscarano;2473260]Yes I did have to call MS and get a new product key, which I did. I also was able to copy the entire DVD to a drive to do the install. The DVD is readable but evidently not bootable. I am so lost I have no clue how to make MCE work again and its frustrating. Thanks again![/QUOTE]

Is that the original boot restore dvd or not? Are you sure yoiur dvd drive itself is working properly? From what it sounds like you shoud’ve just used and restore from your original dvd not install a different O/S that didn’t come with your computer espically if you don’t have all the correct drivers and software that would’ve been on the original boot restore media. You don’t mention whether that O/S was the orignal cd/dvd media what was made for that computer from the factory??

It is the original DVD that Dell sent me after the call we had when they tried to help fix it. The DVD is not bootable, so that is part of the problem. This was not a clean install, I did not F disk and reformat the hard drive. I just booted from the Win XP Home CD, installed that, then upgraded to WinXP MCE 2005 with the disc Dell provided.

So everything with the OS is working except Media Center? I don’t know what is on the DVD that Dell sent you, but maybe there is a Setup.exe file. Browse the DVD or use Search to see if such a file is there. Running Setup.exe should do an install of the OS. If you absolutely can’t get Media Center to run you can always try the freeware MeidaPortal, http://www.team-mediaportal.com/, which should work with your TV card/s.