MD5 errors installing software linked to hardware?

vbimport

I can install and play games from CD’s and DVD’s no problem. The problem I have is when downloading and installing patches or downloading (Legally - I buy them and get them with downloader programs) games from the internet. Frequently when doing this, I come across MD5 errors during the installation that cause the installation to fail. I’ve done a complete reformat of the computer and still come across the error.

Is this something that can frequently be attributed to hardware problems? The only times I encounter any unusual errors is during these installs, not during other times.

I’ve figured it’s either my memory modules having problems (memtest freezes after the first couple tests) or something with the hard drive. Since I did a reformat of the drive, I’m leaning more towards the memory, although I can’t rule out something with the mobo.

Anyone have any insight on what else it could be or have similar experiences?

The only way you can fix the MD5 errors is to keep downloading the files until you get the exact files that match the MD5 checksum. It could be a problem with your ISP or your hardware. Try doing a full memtest on your ram sticks. If you have two ram sticks then remove one out and test it, then remove the other one and continue to test it. It could also be your motherboard. My motherboard’s nForce chipset caused errors in the files I downloaded. The nForce chipset controlled my IDE and SATA functions. Since the chip became faulty any file I downloaded had a bad checksum and no program I downloaded was able to be installed. Now I have a dead PC :frowning: …I did experience CRC & MD5 checksum errors in the past when I first used cable internet at my friends house. Because I downloaded so fast some of the data had errors and I just had to keep trying to download the file until I got a working file. MD5 problems usually happen in large files and ISOS transfers, namely something like 500mb+, that is why large files like Linux OS’s have MD5 hashes. If the hashes don’t match, then your downloaded file is not an exact copy of the original file. So there’s practically no remedy except to keep downloading the file until you get an exact copy or try to use another computer to download the file.

Hi,

This might be the reason for your checksum errors.
If there are several memory modules installed, remove all but one and test with Memtest. So you hopefully should be able to sort out the bad module.

Michael