MD-16X3DVD9-8X Firmware/Software

[qanda]This thread is about the Mad Dog Multimedia Megastor MD-16X3DVD9-8X. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi,

I searched the site, but I can’t seem to find any recent information about Mad Dog DVD drives. I just bought one on ebay (MD-16X3DVD9-8X) and I’m not even sure what firmware is on it.

As Mad Dog is out-of-business, is there any site where I can download the current firmware and software? If I have to use NEC firmware/software, which ones should I download?

Sorry for the dumb questions (and buying hardware that is not supported anymore).

Thanks!
Kevin

Really doesnt have anything to with AnyDVD but maybe a Mod will move it.

Thanks FiveAngels, I will move it to the DVD Burners forums where the member might get more help. Thankyou.:wink:

@ klbcolt,

Welcome to the Forum.

Mad Dog never manufactured any Optical Drives. They used a couple of different Optical Drives from different Optical Drive manufactures and just ReBadged them. Most ‘Mad Dog’ MD-16X3DVD9-8X Optical Drives were NEC ND-4550 Optical Drives.

Suggest visiting Liggy’s and Dee’s NEC ND-4550 Web Page (http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/NEC-ND-4550A). Suggest using the “NEC Driver Converter” software program to see if your ‘Mad Dog’ MD-16X3DVD9-8X Optical Drive is in fact a an NEC ND-4550. Don’t actually attempt to use the “NEC Driver Converter” to ‘Convert’ your Drive – just use the “NEC Driver Converter” to help to identify the true identity of the Drive. If your ‘Mad Dog’ MD-16X3DVD9-8X Optical Drive is an NEC ND-4550 Optical Drive the “NEC Driver Converter” will identify it as such. If your ‘Mad Dog’ MD-16X3DVD9-8X Optical Drives is an NEC ND-4550 Optical Drive you can use “Binflash” to flash your ‘Mad Dog’ MD-16X3DVD9-8X Optical Drive with NEC ND-4550 Firmware listed on the Liggy’s and Dee’s NEC ND-4550 Web Page. Suggest reviewing the “Flashing Tutorial” listed on the Liggy’s and Dee’s NEC ND-4550 Web Page for detailed information on how to flash your Optical Drive.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I was able to verify that the drive was a ND-4550A with MadDog firmware 1.F3. I couldn’t find any more recent firmware, but I did flash using the version with Riplock and RPC1. The drive still works so I guess I did the flash ok, but the firmware version didn’t change so it’s hard to tell.

Thanks again… your reply was perfect.

[QUOTE=klbcolt;2305882]I couldn’t find any more recent firmware, but I did flash using the version with Riplock and RPC1. The drive still works so I guess I did the flash ok, but the firmware version didn’t change so it’s hard to tell.[/QUOTE]
You can easily tell the difference between RPC1 and RPC2 versions by running Nero Info Tool and checking the region settings there.