McCain/Obama/Draft discussion (split from Sarah Palin thread)

Last night I was listening to Mark Levine, Wabc radio, He did a sound byte by George Stepenapoulos (spelling at bay),Obama was asked he ever considered serving his country. His response was, yes I did in 1979 I had to register for the draft. Immeadiatly the phones lit up, long story short, there was no draft in 1979, when will all the Kool-Aid drinkers get it? This man has little, or no, solid beliefs

yeah the draft was done away with in 1973 i believe (from memory). I had to sign up for the draft in 1972 when i was 16 (again from memory).

Actually, Obama was probably referring to registering with the Selective Service. Every male 18-25 years old has to register in case a draft is ever enacted. Here’s a link: http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

[QUOTE=Bob;2124377]yeah the draft was done away with in 1973 i believe (from memory). I had to sign up for the draft in 1972 when i was 16 (again from memory).[/QUOTE]

Your memory is correct, several of the callers stated it was abolished in 73.

[QUOTE=UTR;2124380]Actually, Obama was probably referring to registering with the Selective Service. Every male 18-25 years old has to register in case a draft is ever enacted. Here’s a link: http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm[/QUOTE]The Selective Service was/is the draft. They sent me an update form in 1974 i think it was and i never turned it in cause nothing had changed which they said no need. I got a new draft card with all my info (color eye,color hair,weight,etc…) with all ------- running through that info on my new card :\ I never got another card to this day since 1974.

Actually it was a piece of paper and not a card. My first drivers license was a piece of paper lol

[QUOTE=UTR;2124380]Actually, Obama was probably referring to registering with the Selective Service. Every male 18-25 years old has to register in case a draft is ever enacted. Here’s a link: http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm[/QUOTE]
Please check your facts there was no MANDATORY draft in 79
i.e no one had to sign up.

It is very simple; Obama says exactly what he thinks people want to hear.
In His speech at the convention he promised to fix everything short of curing aids and cancer. He looked right into the Camera and lied, because he can’t possibly do everything he said he would do and not raise the taxes of the working class. Reminds me of a slick ex president who looked right into the live camera and said “I did not have sex with that woman”.
Lets not lose sight that this is not Obama vs Palin, this is Obama vs McCain.
Never forget that tomorrow is the 7th aniversity of the worst attack on US Soil. They hit us in 1993, again in 2001. Don’t think they will just give up and go away. For me this is the only issue in the upcoming election, who do we want as a leader in time of crisis, who is most qualified to make the tough decisions. I will take the war hero.
Don’t tell me he is too old, have you seen is mother with him at the convention? He is fit and ready to lead, will put both republicans and democrats in his administration. He will shake things up in Washington.
The working people in this great country do not want to go back to the “tax and spend” government.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2124391]Please check your facts there was no MANDATORY draft in 79
i.e no one had to sign up.[/QUOTE]

Registration is required. This is not the same thing as a draft. Look it up. I even gave you a link. Personally, I think Obama confused “registration” with “draft”. They are not interchangeable.

It’s too bad that the political views cannot be viewed with rationalism here, because the people outside the U.S. have a total different perspective then what being debated here. Opinions should be respected and not ridiculed.

:cool::cool:

off topic:

[QUOTE=nickyboy4;2124533]For me this is the only issue in the upcoming election, who do we want as a leader in time of crisis, who is most qualified to make the tough decisions. [B]I will take the war hero.[/B][/QUOTE]

War hero:

The President, in the name of Congress, has awarded more than 3,400 Medals of Honor to our nation’s bravest Soldiers, Sailors, [B]Airmen[/B], Marines, and Coast Guardsmen since the decoration’s creation in 1861. For years, the citations highlighting these acts of [B]bravery and heroism[/B] resided in dusty archives and only sporadically were printed. In 1973, the U.S. Senate ordered the citations compiled and printed as Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, U.S. Senate, Medal of Honor Recipients: 1863-1973 (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1973).

I don’t see John McCain’s name listed > http://www.history.army.mil/moh.html

Yes have [B]great respect[/B] for him for being in a POW but a war hero? Maybe i over looked his name?

From what i understand these Medal of Honor winners must be saluted by all military personnel including the President of the US of A when present. I’ve never seen President Bush salute him.

[QUOTE=Bob;2124656]off topic:
Yes have [B]great respect[/B] for him for being in a POW but a war hero? Maybe i over looked his name?[/QUOTE]

IMO, when McCain gave up a chance to go home because there were other POWs there longer than him and they deserved being released first, that qualifies him as a hero. He suffered 4-5 more years of brutal torture and was nearly killed for that gesture. The definition of hero is a pretty broad one. I’ll err on the side of caution in this instance and say McCain in a hero.

Also, while every Medal of Honor winner is a war hero, not every war hero received a Medal of Honor. I wouldn’t use that as an absolute benchmark.

[QUOTE=UTR;2124638]Registration is required. This is not the same thing as a draft. Look it up. I even gave you a link. Personally, I think Obama confused “registration” with “draft”. They are not interchangeable.[/QUOTE]

Today’s Ny Post:
WAS Barack Obama telling the truth on Sunday when he told George Stephanopoulos on ABC’s “This Week” that he considered enlisting in the armed forces when he graduated from high school? Obama said, “I actually did. I had to sign up for Selective Service when I graduated from high school . . . And I actually always thought of the military as an ennobling and, you know, honorable option. But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979. The Vietnam War had come to an end. We weren’t engaged in an active military conflict at that point. And so it’s not an option that I ever decided to pursue.” Astute readers point out that Obama’s memory must be faulty. While all American men must register with Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday, that wasn’t the case in 1979. While the United States abandoned the draft in 1973 under President Richard Nixon, it ended the Selective Service registration requirement in 1975 under President Gerald Ford, and then reinstated the Selective Service registration requirement in 1980 under President Jimmy Carter. Obama didn’t have to register until August 1980.

[QUOTE=Bob;2124377]yeah the draft was done away with in 1973 i believe (from memory). I had to sign up for the draft in 1972 when i was 16 (again from memory).[/QUOTE]I think i’m wrong about having to sign up for SS at 16. I need to find my SS cards. I’m a pack rat and i think i still have them :doh:

I still have rock concert ticket stubs from 1972…

[QUOTE=Bob;2124656]off topic:

War hero:

The President, in the name of Congress, has awarded more than 3,400 Medals of Honor to our nation’s bravest Soldiers, Sailors, [B]Airmen[/B], Marines, and Coast Guardsmen since the decoration’s creation in 1861. For years, the citations highlighting these acts of [B]bravery and heroism[/B] resided in dusty archives and only sporadically were printed. In 1973, the U.S. Senate ordered the citations compiled and printed as Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, U.S. Senate, Medal of Honor Recipients: 1863-1973 (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1973).

I don’t see John McCain’s name listed > http://www.history.army.mil/moh.html

Yes have [B]great respect[/B] for him for being in a POW but a war hero? Maybe i over looked his name?

From what i understand these Medal of Honor winners must be saluted by all military personnel including the President of the US of A when present. I’ve never seen President Bush salute him.[/QUOTE]

So whats your point? Do you know anything about his background? His father and grandfather??
I salute him and in the opinion of many proud Americans he is a hero! He will prove to be a great leader.

[QUOTE=UTR;2124671]IMO, when McCain gave up a chance to go home because there were other POWs there longer than him and they deserved being released first, that qualifies him as a hero. He suffered 4-5 more years of brutal torture and was nearly killed for that gesture. The definition of hero is a pretty broad one. I’ll err on the side of caution in this instance and say McCain in a hero.

Also, while every Medal of Honor winner is a war hero, not every war hero received a Medal of Honor. I wouldn’t use that as an absolute benchmark.[/QUOTE]

Here is someone who knows something about McCain!

[QUOTE=nickyboy4;2124792]So whats your point? Do you know anything about his background? His father and grandfather??
I salute him and in the opinion of many proud Americans he is a hero! He will prove to be a great leader.[/QUOTE]Just looking for military documentation of him being a war hero is all. He’s not a Medal Of Honor recipient which is the highest honor of all military for bravery and heroism. At least i don’t see his name listed. Maybe he received a gold,silver, or bronze star.

[QUOTE=Bob;2124961]Just looking for military documentation of him being a war hero is all. He’s not a Medal Of Honor recipient which is the highest honor of all military for bravery and heroism. At least i don’t see his name listed. Maybe he received a gold,silver, or bronze star.[/QUOTE]

A one minute Google search would give you the answer. McCain has a Silver Star, a Legion of Merit for Valor, a Distinguished Flying Cross, three Bronze Stars, two Commendation medals plus two Purple Hearts and a dozen service medals.

yeah i’m looking at his military record as i type this. Very highly decorated but no Medal Of Honor.

Here’s a link if anyone is interested > http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/330F85C7-5982-4B09-A46A-373964430AFB/0/Document.pdf

Bob, you seem hung up on someone being a Medal of Honor recipient in order to be classified a genuine hero. Give McCain his due and any other service man that sacrificed either all or part of themselves defending the rest of us and didn’t receive a Medal of Honor. If you’re not willing then just come out and let your real feelings be known and say McCain isn’t a hero. You question whether McCain even had medals and then when you see he has plenty you seem to minimize their worth in defining someone as hero.

[QUOTE=UTR;2124671]IMO, when McCain gave up a chance to go home because there were other POWs there longer than him and they deserved being released first, that qualifies him as a hero. He suffered 4-5 more years of brutal torture and was nearly killed for that gesture. The definition of hero is a pretty broad one. I’ll err on the side of caution in this instance and say McCain in a hero.

Also, while every Medal of Honor winner is a war hero, not every war hero received a Medal of Honor. I wouldn’t use that as an absolute benchmark.[/QUOTE]
Ummm…did you stop to think of the reception in the US he would have gotten, to take an early release? The Vietnam war was very unpopular. If some underachiever like McCain was given an early release, because his daddy was an Admiral- ALL HELL WOULD HAVE BROKE LOOSE! There were guys that had been in there for years longer than McCain.

Sure, he coulda got out, but one day he would have to face these same men again and they would have kicked his ass and he knew it. Plus, he is real proud of himself and wants to be looked up to. He is like the leader of a small and annoying school gang. He may not follow rules of the establishment- but he wont break “the code”.

McCain would not have been in the POW camp to begin with if he hadn’t pulled strings to get his incompetent ass at the controls of an airplane to begin with. He was 5th from the bottom of his class in the Naval Academy! Someone more qualified was told to take a hike because Jr. was “special”. He already I am sure was not too popular in the ranks and file.

We have already seen what happens when an underachieving clown with a silver spoon stuck in his mouth can do when he is given the reins of the US. I don’t want to see it again.

McCain can live in the past and that is fine. I just don’t want him in control of the future.

It is not being a hero to survive. It is called self-preservation. Another thing and McCain says this himself, every time he “reluctantly” brags about this early release thing (which is every freakin day now ) He says in hindsite had he known the war was going to last 3 more years, he might have had a harder time deciding. Maverick my ass. he just couldn’t make Admiral in the military so he does what a lot of failures do- he became a politician.

“Please don’t tell my mother I am a politician- she thinks I play piano in a brothel”