MCC004 @18x

Hello,

Media: Verbatim DVD+R 16x MCC004 Made In India (MII)
Writer: TSSTCort SH-183A-SB03
Write Speed: 18x

Scanned using BenQ 1640 and SH-183A, very different scans, but worse at the outer side of the disc.

Please post your opinions. Thank you.

cu,

Jackie

The Blank DVD Media Tests sub-forum is for posting scans according to the announced rules and not for discussions, so I’m moving the thread.

• Thread moved from [I]Blank DVD Media Tests[/I] sub-forum to [I]Blank Media[/I] forum * *

[quote=Jackie78;1920614]Please post your opinions.[/quote] The scans are within specs, but the BenQ scan shows increasing PIE/PIF at the outer edge which are approaching the recommended limits, so I would turn down the writing speed one notch to see if this improves results.

Yeah even thought the samsung drive says its an ok burn, the BenQ shows many more errors. This is party due to the high jitter I think.

I would burn @ 8x or 12x only. 16-18-20x does not even save much more time. You’re far better off using slower speeds.

I agree with you both, but I am really wondering how to get any media that is really suitable for high-speed recording.

[quote=Jackie78;1920712]I agree with you both, but I am really wondering how to get any media that is really suitable for high-speed recording.[/quote] There’s media that’s suitable for high-speed recording, like e.g. MCC 004, TYG03 and YUDEN000 T03, but very rarely will you achieve the same burn quality at high speeds as you will at medium speeds.

I burn 8x and 16x media at 8x in most of my drives (some at 6x, a couple at 4x and occasionally at 12x) except when I’m just testing, because that’s always more predictable/safer than the high burning speeds, and the time difference is unimportant to me.

[QUOTE=Jackie78;1920712]I agree with you both, but I am really wondering how to get any media that is really suitable for high-speed recording.[/QUOTE]

Well MCC004 usually does it for me, but in your shoes I’d just take the guys’ advice re: burn speeds.

In fact my Panasonic TYG03 is the “only” media that burnt exceptionally well for me at higher speeds , LiteOn 20A1P burns it with excellent results @18x and 20x , to tell the truth , 8x burns was just about the same quality as 20x burning

On the other hand , MCC004 is never good for me at higher than 8X , CMC MAG M01 (which is supported up to 18x in recent burners) was horrible at higher than 8x too

[QUOTE=Jackie78;1920712]I agree with you both, but I am really wondering how to get any media that is really suitable for high-speed recording.[/QUOTE]

Define suitable. Your burn seems like it’s got high jitter and some errors at the end, but it’s still probably a usable burn so I’d call it suitable for high speeds since it creates a disc that can be read back.

If you want to find a disc that performs better @ 16/18/20x than it does @ 8x, I think you’d have some trouble since it just doesn’t exist.

Minaelromany says that TYG03 is excellent for him @ 18/20x speeds and this is partly due to the fact that his writer supports the media very well and the media is premium A grade stuff. I don’t think he’s ever had crappy TYG03. Even then he openly said the results between 18/20x are close to 8x.

So even with really good media and writer combination you will struggle greatly to outright achieve a better result @ high speed than you would @ 8x.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1921084]

Minaelromany says that TYG03 is excellent for him @ 18/20x speeds and this is partly due to the fact that his writer supports the media very well and the media is premium A grade stuff. I don’t think he’s ever had crappy TYG03. Even then he openly said the results between 18/20x are close to 8x.

So even with really good media and writer combination you will struggle greatly to outright achieve a better result @ high speed than you would @ 8x.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

8X Burning is the sweet spot for most media , I only do 18X or 20X burning for testing purposes but for most of my burns I only do 8X/12X

HI,

thanks alot for all of your replies, I have to admit that I normally burn at 8x as well, but every time I get a batch of new media, I am just curious and try to find the limits :slight_smile:

For everyday use, I think I will just write at 8x, just as most of you suggest.

cu,

Jackie

Twice agreed.
My own point of view about very high speed burns and results that people are expecting

[quote=Francksoy;1921391]Twice agreed.
[U]My own point of view about very high speed burns and results that people are expecting[/U][/quote] Yep, I already read your post and I agree with what you’re saying. :iagree:

So I’m agreeing with your agreement. :smiley:

8X Burning is the sweet spot for most media , I only do 18X or 20X burning for testing purposes but for most of my burns I only do 8X/12X[/QUOTE]

Same here :iagree:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1921419]Yep, I already read your post and I agree with what you’re saying. :iagree:
So I’m agreeing with your agreement. :D[/QUOTE]I’ll agree with you agreeing with my agreement. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll just add that the only thing (in my opinion) that could achieve really good control of high-speed burns, would be a very large number of WOPC (calibration) points. The Pioneer 112/112D burners do that to some extent, and the consequent better control of jitter at higher burning speeds is very apparent in scans performed in Benq/Nexperia drives, where one can see that each OPC point re-lowers jitter that was raising sharply before the re-calibration point (see attached image). The problem is of course that the more WOPC point, the longer the burn takes, so applying this principle further would kinda destroy the interest of high-speed burns… :bigsmile:

(Damn. You lured me into posting here “for real”, Dragemester. Oh, well… that’s fair :flower: )

Interesting theory Frank , but as far as I can tell , LiteOn had no calibration points when burning TYG03 media @20X even with SB , HT and OHT are enabled , just a straight line :bigsmile:

I know that Liteys sometimes apply no WOPC at all. :slight_smile: (but well… are you 100% sure than with OHT enabled, TYG03 is burned @20X without re-calibration? :eek: I’m baffled…)

But I’m not sure what you’re trying to say. :confused:

Without having access to high-speed burns performed in these burners, I have no way to know if these burns would pass my own testing, and that I would consider them as having benefitted from “really good control of high-speed burns”. Based on my personal experience with various burners and WOPC I doubt it, but I can be wrong of course, my experience with Lite-On drives is very limited (1963S: scanning only, died after 3 months | 165P6S: bad burns, defective, returned it | 20A1P: bad burns, defective, returned it ).

I’d need to see consistently very good @20X burns of TYG03 in a Lite-on burner, without any kind of recalibration applied during the burn, to change my mind about this “theory” :slight_smile: - and when I say “very good burns,” in my book it’s not a single pristine @4X scan in a Lite-on drive. :wink: I want perfect reading curves in picky drives, 100% standalone compatibility without any stuttering/skipping, and acceptable (not necessarily very good) PIE/PIF/jitter figures in [I]any[/I] decent scanner (Lite-On, Benq, Plextor), at any scanning speed.

Among the three burners that I have here that can burn >@16X (LG H22N, Samsung SH-203B, Pioneer 112D), only the Pioneer produces high-speed burns that [I]consistently[/I] meet my criterias above (these 112/212/112D burners have a PIF spikes issue sometimes when burning at high speeds, sadly. But I personally haven’t experienced this issue yet - knocking on wood :slight_smile: ).

[QUOTE=Francksoy;1922140]only the Pioneer produces high-speed burns that [I]consistently[/I] meet my criterias above [/QUOTE]Precising: with my favorite [B]+R[/B] media. With -R media, the 203B produces high-speed burns that meet my criterias. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;1922140]I know that Liteys sometimes apply no WOPC at all. :slight_smile: (but well… are you 100% sure than with OHT enabled, TYG03 is burned @20X without re-calibration? :eek: I’m baffled…)
[/QUOTE]

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1861557-post628.html