MCC 004 and Benq 1640

vbimport

I’ve just found Verbatim media here in Egypt :bow:
It is 10 pack spindles MIT “it doesn’t mention Datalife Plus” , I just bought one spindle to test it .It costs 10 U$ Dollars for spindle , 1 U$ per disc ! :sad:
First I couldn’t see the serial on the discs’ hub because it was under the Verbatim paper , when I opened it I found the serial to be with “+” in the middle , so it is Prodisc made MCC not CMC .
The disc’s dye looks clean although not as clean as Sony MIJ that I have , I burnt two discs @ 12X , here are the results :
WOPC : ON
SB : ON/ON
First disc :

Second disc :

Do you see the block of PIFs in the 2.0 mark in the second burn ?
Before the 2.0 mark the burn was excellent , I thought it would be my first 99% QS but alas.
What do you think the best f/w for 1640 with this particular Prodisc MCC 004 media ?
I also burnt an HP CMC MAG E01 disc just to find out it is very close to the Verbatim , and that is not what I read here :doh:
Here is the CMC :

The best scan ever for me was CMC MAG E01 burnt a year ago with Pioneer 109 drive , from all the media I tried : CMC , Optodisc , Daxon , Sony D11 , D21 and now Verbatim MCC , here it is :

What is wrong here ?

When I noticed the PIF clumps, I didn’t need to read your post to know these are Prodisc MCCs. PIF clumping is their signature, and I have the same experience with them, no matter what burner I use.

Nothing much you can do except get a refund if possible. Next time you get another pack, make sure that LOCK <-> OPEN is in a serif font and that a rectangle is next to the recycling triangle logo. These come from the CMC factory. Good luck! :slight_smile:

minaelromany; I feel your pain having pay a $1 apiece for the disc but admire your generosity for using them for doing the test, as for the quality of scans except for “PIF” on the first graph all three are good and acceptable quality burnt.

Thank you very much guys for your replies.

Nothing much you can do except get a refund if possible. Next time you get another pack, make sure that LOCK <-> OPEN is in a serif font and that a rectangle is next to the recycling triangle logo. These come from the CMC factory. Good luck!

Could you please provide some pics ? :slight_smile:
In fact it wasn’t me that purchased them , it was a friend that saw thim in a visit to another bigger city “Cairo” and called me telling me about it and I told him to get me one spindle , he sent it to me yesterday and just called me again to ask about the quality .

minaelromany; I feel your pain having pay a $1 apiece for the disc but admire your generosity for using them for doing the test, as for the quality of scans except for “PIF” on the first graph all three are good and acceptable quality burnt.

It is no pain at all , we pay alot for DVD media , HP “CMC MAG E01” cost about 0.80 U$ per disc , I remember getting Sony D11 MIT media for 1.40 U$ per disc :iagree:
But nothing like the 2 x 50 spindles of Sony MIJ media that my brother sent me from the USA , 100 discs for 30 U$ :clap:
I just want to get the best media I can find here just for archival purposes , I want my data to be safe for years to come , I fear that one day I try to copy the contents of a DVD to my HDD and it is unreadable .

Unfortunately none of us can or should tell you what mediato use for archival purposes. DVD media for home use is still a relatively new technology and as it has improved so has the speed. This means at this time there is no way to say which will last for years to come on the sense of archiving. Longevity can be affected by many things, heat, humidity, how it is stored, etc.

For safties sake it is an idea, and is standard practise in commercial back ups to make atlest two copies on different media just to have a redundancy incase one of the back ups fail. Some even store on two types/makes of optical media and on an extra hdd.

Initial scans realy will not give you the answer, they should be used to gauge the possible degredation over time and give a hint as to when it might be wise to copy them onto new media. I said hint for a reason I have had some scan with high PIFs and a QS of 0, and yet still got the data off the discs.

$1 us a disc for verbs isn’t bad as they can cost 90p each (~$1.67) if you go for the 10 disc spindles here.

Just flashed to BSQB and burnt @ 8X ! WOPC : ON , SB : OFF/ON
A good burn this time , no blocks of PIFs :