Mcafee site advisor calls this site dangerous

vbimport

i came here last 3 weeks ago …then mcafee was green…now the site advisor just got yellow…what has changed so much for that to happen…

Nothing - McAfee wrongly assesses DVDFab as malware for some reason, which of course is not the case.

it is ok then…cdfreaks is still a safe place to be at then…but it still doesnt look good when a trusted site is being called dangerous in google search…

Been safe enough for me for the last 3 years :cool:…I use McAfee myself (hold those rotten tomatoes, people :p), and I added CDF to the Trusted Sites within SA.

I could’nt wait to get McAfee off my computer. Actually to fully uninstall it you need a uninstaller file from McAfee to totally rid it from your system. Since i changed to Kaspersky Internet Security the computer been much more happy

I use siteadvisor as a plugin on firefox. I would not let any of their other software near my PC.

If McAfee lists cdfreaks as a “dangerous” site, that should tell you a little bit about the effectiveness of that program. :rolleyes:

McAfee and Norton have been on my “do not touch” list for years now.

There are a number of threads that speak to this on the Fab subforum.
You can do a search if interested.
Here’s one:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/mcafee-detects-253116/index2.html

and just an FYI, here is one user’s post that will shed some light in the event you don’t want to plow through the whole thread (post #30):

[QUOTE=kmara;2137284]Sorted! :clap:

I have just got the following feedback from McAfee/Avert:[I]McAfee Avertâ„¢ Labs, Aylesbury, UK[/I]
[I]Thank you for submitting your suspicious file.[/I]

[I]Synopsis - Our Senior Virus Research Engineers have examined the file in question and no virus was found.[/I]

[I]Solution - Attached is an extra.dat with correct detection. This correction will be included in the next DAT update.[/I]
So I have my own personalised .DAT file :), and everyone will benefit on the next release.

Good to see that they did something about it.[/QUOTE]

Actually CDFreaks is a dangerous site… after joining here I became addict :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

ok…ok…i am sorry for calling this site dangerous…i had not read the rest of the page on site advisor…

i am using siteadvisor as a pluggin for firefox…i have put this site to donot warn list…but still it shows yellow…i tried restarting the browser …it did not change…maybe i will see it tomorow after a restart

ALL AV programs generate false positives from time to time, which is better than a false negative by any measure.
McAfee wasn’t always my first choice for AV programs but over 8 years has risen to the top due to simple effectiveness.

If you have limited RAM resources it can be slow, though it’s hardly bigger than many of the advertised “fast” AVs like NOD32.

I travel some places even the best of you would crap your pants in, using a variety of ways to protect my OS, but McAfee has never failed me whereas every other AV I’ve ever used has had multiple failures and allowed infections to get into my machines. I’m fortunate I’m good enough to prevent major damage most times, but the reformat -> reinstall theme music has been cued a few times as a result, but NEVER on an installation protected by McAfee.

As an example, I once tried to enter a Unix server that WARNED me not to tread unless I knew how to protect myself and had a browser capable of preventing what was about to happen to me. Of course I ignored the warnings and got the profile for my Netscape 7.2 installation deleted by a script on that server as a result.
Those guys were GOOD man, I was so embarrasssed. I was lucky the hacker crowd are generally non-malevalent and ONLY deleted my browser profile, I’m sure they could have done much worse - but my point is, that’s the sort of trouble I tend to get myself into frequently, and yet McAfee has protected me on most of my 12 machines for over 7 years now.
([I]I do run other AV software for testing on a few of my machines, but not on my personal ones.[/I])

I’m of the opinion those who cast doubt on McAfee seriously do not exercise their OSes enough to know whether McAfee is any better or any worse than other AV programs, and tend to just repeat what they’ve heard others say. There is a reason McAfee has remained at or near the top of the AV rankings for the past 7 or 8 years since I first started testing software - IT WORKS, and it works better than any other AV program, for ME.

OPINION POST, not to be taken as the universal truth for everyone.

I’m not sure what critera these programs use to call a site dangerious, but trend micro is always poping up sites as dangerious that are not. It even said the staples web site was dangerious once.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
[B][I]I soooo LOVE Living on the Edge[/I] :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]
:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=ripit;2162058]I’m not sure what critera these programs use to call a site dangerious, but trend micro is always poping up sites as dangerious that are not. It even said the staples web site was dangerious once.[/QUOTE]

I think it’s links and stuff on the sites…be they links placed by the site owners themselves (like DVDFab above, which we know to be a false positive) or links inside ads :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2160075]Actually CDFreaks is a dangerous site… after joining here I became addict :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p[/QUOTE]

Me too. :iagree: :iagree:

Mr.Bill

:cool: I don’t think I have been a member of a declared dangerous site, :cool:

[QUOTE=beef barley;2162267]:cool: I don’t think I have been a member of a declared dangerous site, :cool:[/QUOTE]

Indeed it’s not the site, that’s you to be dangerous :p:p:p:p