McAfee detects

vbimport

a Generic Downloader.x trojan in C:\Program Files\DvdFab 5\unins000.exe

is this common?

Nope…

I’ve had DvdFab5 installed on my computer for a while now and McAfee has never detected anything until now when I just booted up. Any suggestions as to what may have caused this?

There are two files under the name “unins000” one is a .dat file to be opened by your default media player the other is the install/uninstall app which is the .exe and that is what McAfee is detecting, not sure why McAfee is doing this…I have ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and it detects nothing.
It could be one of two things
1.) McAfee has updated your database and is causing a false reading
2.) the install/uninstall app has become corrupt

I would do a clean uninstall using the guide below in my signature and reinstall the program using a freash new download package(not the one you already have it may have gotten corrpted during download)
If you still get this reading after you re-install …you may have to make a settings change in McAfee settings for DVDFab due to the change in the database update

BTW…kolcogan welcome to our humble club here at CD Freaks

Kaspersky detects nothing on my installation. :slight_smile:

mcafee is running fine on my pc

[quote=audiophile_au;2131446]mcafee is running fine on my pc[/quote]It just killed VNCViewer that was installed on my office computer :a

I have just downloaded DVDFab from The main web site, and my McAfee viruscan is giving me the same message.

Generic Downloader.x trojan
This issue with McAfee is/or related to the Automatic update that was recentlly added and/or modified in the install/uninstall package.
Generic [B] Downloader[/B] .x trojan

Note…tis only my 2 cents

Hey kolcogan,
Fengtao replied to this in 2005 on a different help site.
He stated that there’s no spyware or adware in dvdfab and that McAfee has given false warnings about dvdfab before.
Here’s the link to the McAfee issue Fengtao posted.
http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/content/v_103069.htm

FYI —> NOD32 has no issues with dvdfab

[QUOTE=zeroin;2131792]FYI —> NOD32 has no issues with dvdfab[/QUOTE]

AVG has no issues with DVDFab either :disagree:

I have the same issue with CA antivirus. It does not just detect, it deletes the installation program.

[QUOTE=dentonDVD521;2132244]I have the same issue with CA antivirus. It does not just detect, it deletes the installation program.[/QUOTE]

I’m having the exact same problem with McAfee Virus Scan. It says there’s a trojan in the unis000 and NOD32?

Never had this problem before, ever. I’ve been running McAfee since before I was using DVDFab.

It just deletes it before it can even start!!!:a:sad:

To those using McAfee, does McAfee have an eception list or something
I myself don’t use McAfee I run ZoneAlarm so really don’t know and just asking…just seems strange that out of all the anti-virus programs that are out there on the market McAfee is the only one picking this up :frowning:

Considering this problem has now been going on for over a day I would strongly recommend that someone who is experiencing this problem submit the applicable files to [U]McAfee[/U] for analysis so that [U]McAfee[/U] can appropriately update their signature files as is necessary.

you are right my friend that is a great idea for sure :clap::clap:

got the same thing here …

McAfee v 12.1
build 12.1.10
… DAT version 5392.0000
… etc

agreed with the idea suggested by DLAD, will submit to them

I’ve not ( yet ) found how to exclude certain files from scan, although I am certain it is possible.

It’s not the first time McAfee give false warning for inno setup file, I just wander why so many people use such a bad product.

There are several better choices, like Kaspersky which in my option is the best.

[QUOTE=fengtao;2132824]It’s not the first time McAfee give false warning for inno setup file, I just wander why so many people use such a bad product.

There are several better choices, like Kaspersky which in my option is the best.[/QUOTE]

[U]Kaspersky[/U] is good as far as detecting but they lost my overall interest due to other issues with their software over the last number of years. All AV programs suffer accidents now and then.

With another product [U]Kaspersky [/U]wrongly detected a problem recently and people went crazy for about 12 hrs. [U]Kaspersky[/U] was contacted and the problem was resolved. Very recently a bad signature update by [U]Eset[/U] detected [U]Lavalys Everest[/U] as infected. Myself and someone else contacted [U]Eset[/U] and it was quickly resolved.

I wouldn’t recommend [U]McAfee[/U] or [U]Norton/Symantec[/U] to anyone but the key to resolving these problems is users promptly contact their AV vendor and submitting the applicable files. I’m not targeting anyone but a lot of people tend to get hysterical yet don’t contact the AV vendor so the problem does not get resolved. With [U]Kaspersky[/U] and [U]Eset[/U] the problem was resolved within 3-12 hrs. Here with [U]McAfee[/U] it’s been about 2 days? People need to submit those files for analysis. As much as I dislike [U]McAfee[/U] I can’t see them being that slow.

Moral of the story: Immediately contact your AV vendor along with submitting the applicable files and report the problem to the author of the software being flagged by your AV.

Long term McAfee user here, i had never had DVDFab flagged up as a trojan or anything similar on my machines. :disagree:
(have now switched to AVG Free but thought i’d mention that i’d never had problems in McAfee)