Mbipg101 R05

HI,

I’ve seem to have bought a spindle of Platinum MBIPG101 R05 :).
Just burned 1 dvd @ 16 speed and it worked.

Anyone has some experience with this disk?:bow:

These have been really variable in quality for me. Some batches burn beautifully, some only okay. Otherwise they play well in my standalones, haven’t appeared to degrade, and are pretty durable. Good stuff.

I have some Philips branded ones. I’ve not much to do today so I may burn a few and see how they do, if anyone is interested. :slight_smile:

Can be outstanding, as I noticed recently: http://club.cdfreaks.com/1986693-post86.html - but I would be wary of the Platinum brand. I’ve scanned a few Philips LightScribe discs with this MID and they were pretty good (although not as perfect as SonnyUnlocker’s).

I’ve got some Mmore brand, and they were pretty good.

[QUOTE=Cressida;1988514]Can be outstanding, as I noticed recently: http://club.cdfreaks.com/1986693-post86.html - but I would be wary of the Platinum brand. I’ve scanned a few Philips LightScribe discs with this MID and they were pretty good (although not as perfect as SonnyUnlocker’s).[/QUOTE]

Had to babelfish that one :). You meant "I would be wary of the Platinum brand - > “I would be carefull with the platinum brand” ?

Is there a further difference between the media code irt the platinum brand?

Quality seems ok btw from your burn. I ll test one of my burns too.

Thx

From wiktionary (no it wasn’t Dutch) ;):

Adjective
[B]wary[/B] (comparative warier, superlative wariest)

1. Cautious of danger; carefully watching and guarding against deception, artifices, and dangers; timorously or suspiciously prudent; circumspect; scrupulous; careful. [I]He is wary of dogs.[/I]
  2. Characterized by caution; guarded; careful.

There’s no difference in the media code but, to me at least, Platinum ranks up there (euphemism :)) with Intenso and EMTEC for example, as a resale brand that wouldn’t flinch at trading B-grade material if it made them enough profit. That doesn’t mean you can’t have discs from a good batch however. It wasn’t my burn there by the way, but a scan I had seen on the forum here last weekend and which caught my attention because it was so good. They can be as good as Verbatim MCC 004 apparently.

Ok,

Due to lack of time made a quick scan of the disc i wrote this morning @16x speed.
Seems quite good i think :iagree:

Is that a laptop drive? It doesn’t report PI Failures, so it’s not really suitable for scanning I’m afraid. Judging by PI Errors and Jitter, the burn looks OK though. You can also try a “Transfer Rate test” under the “Benchmark” tab, ideally it shouldn’t have any slowdowns (straight line).

Nope. No laptop drive, its the 8701 from philips.

Maybe it reports no PI failures because of the quick scan?
I’ll test the disc fully later this week

Crossflash to BenQ 1640? firmware (double-check!) will give you full scanning capabilities (with PIF) and SolidBurn options :slight_smile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/philips-8701-a-153390/

Meanwhile on my other PC …
Other disc, burned @8x see scan.
Doesn’t look like quite a good benchmark erroring :sad:

About flashing the 8701 (a dell yes indeed :flower:).
Works fine for as it is. So i won’t bother flashing it.
But thanks for the hint btw. Very attentive!

Time’s up 4now. Will check in later

Grtz,
Najrad

[QUOTE=Arachne;1988435]I have some Philips branded ones. I’ve not much to do today so I may burn a few and see how they do, if anyone is interested. :)[/QUOTE]Sure, I’m interested! Some of the worst-scanning MBIPG101 R05 I’ve burned were Philips branded. Nice to see if it’s the same across the pond.

Besides, you don’t need those discs sitting in your closet reminding you that they were once cash in your pocket. :stuck_out_tongue:

I recently obtained a spindle of 100 Imation 16x DVD+R, which turned out to be “MBIPG101R05”. Here is a scan of a 16x burn on my LG-H10N.

And here’s an 8x burn from my Liteon 20A4P.

And a 12x burn on my LG-H62N.

[QUOTE=tropic;1988859]Sure, I’m interested! Some of the worst-scanning MBIPG101 R05 I’ve burned were Philips branded. Nice to see if it’s the same across the pond.

Besides, you don’t need those discs sitting in your closet reminding you that they were once cash in your pocket. :p[/QUOTE]

LOL! Long time no speak, tropic :bigsmile:

Hehe, I’ll burn a few today then…then I’ll know personally whether it’s worth going for the 25 pack or not (these ones are from a 10 pack). :wink:

Pretty good media if you get an good batch. Notice it might often be found as B-grade under various brands like Mirror etc.

@HenryNettles

Quality seems ok. :):slight_smile:

Grtz,
Najrad

Here’s an 8x burn from a 25-pack of Imation-brand in the states.