MBI Stamper codes?

vbimport

@pepst

Do You know the meaning of the stamper code of MBI media? Unfortunely MBI have a very changing quality, mostly at the bottom of quality, and many labels (SONY, TDK, Imation, Kodak, Mediarange,…) have MBI inside. So it could be helpful to know the meaning of the stamper code, perhaps?

[QUOTE=SCSI_100;2657786]@pepst

Do You know the meaning of the stamper code of MBI media? Unfortunely MBI have a very changing quality, mostly at the bottom of quality, and many labels (SONY, TDK, Imation, Kodak, Mediarange,…) have MBI inside. So it could be helpful to know the meaning of the stamper code, perhaps?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately not. MBI’s hub codes are relatively easy to decipher, but I don’t think it can help you determine the quality of your MBI media. The only (almost) sure way to get A-grade quality MBI DVDs is to buy Sony branded media.

I believe the time is gone where Sony stands for A-grade MBI DVDs. The last one I got has been so horrible bad, no comparison to the former MBI with SONY MID. Now, I order SONY DADC, made in Austria, which are about 10€ expensiver in comparison with the MBI SONYs, but the quality is much more better and the media is printable, too.

@pepst

How did you determine at which line the DVDs are made? Are there information inside the stamper code / hub code which let us know where it was made?

[QUOTE=SCSI_100;2657924]@pepst

How did you determine at which line the DVDs are made? Are there information inside the stamper code / hub code which let us know where it was made?[/QUOTE]

In case of MBI made media, the line number can be determined from the serial number (along with other things, like the date of manufacture, etc.
Example: 1133 521 +R E C 17485[ul]
[li]this medium was made on the 133rd day of 2011: 1 = 2011, nothing/blank space = 2010, 9 = 2009, 4 = 2004, etc.; 133 means the number of the day in the year when the medium was manufactured
[/li][li]this medium was on made on the line # 521 (I know that this particular line is a “Origin DVDRM” manufacturing line. MBIL also uses “Steag Hamatech Taurus”, “Unaxis Fusion” and probably also “Pioneer MSH-6118/MSH-6131” for DVDR media manufacturing, “4M MCL 500” and “Steag Hamatech 2503” for CD-R manufacturing and “Unaxis Sprinter” and “Shibaura Octava” for DVDRW manufacturing. Some pictures from their factory can be found here.
[/li][li]+R E C: +R means this medium is a “DVD+R” medium, I don’t know the meaning of “E” and “C” yet.
[/li][li]17485: the serial number of the medium made on that day on that line
[/li][/ul]

Thanks a lot for Your reply :bigsmile:

** Posts split from “MBI DVD-R” thread in the Blank DVD Media Tests forum ** :wink: