MBI (Moser Baer) DL+R

vbimport

Anyone here ever heard of MBI (Moser Baer) discs and know if they are any good?

I am particularly interested in these DL discs from them.

http://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=1392

It is statead they are at least as good, if not better than TY or Verbatim but I am not sure without a MID being listed. I have contacted the seller for this information, however am wondering if anyone else has experience with these discs or know which MID might be present on them.

Thanks.

Ok, the seller emailed me back with this exact MID info, your opinions?

It’s RicohJPN (not to be confused with Ritek)… a good one.

Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNÄD0
Media Product Revision Number 43h
Format Capacity Blank Disc
Free Blocks 4253024256
Free Capacity 7.96GB(8.55GB)
Book Type DVD+R DL
Media Type DVD+R DL
Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Layer 0 end sector 22D7FFh
Linear Density 0.293um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 2
Layer Track Path direction (OTP) Opposite track path

Complete Media Code

00000000 08 02 00 00 E1 0F 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 FC FF FF …2…
00000010 00 22 D7 FF 00 00 03 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E 44 ."…RICOHJPND
00000020 30 31 43 40 25 25 37 10 00 2C 6C 00 2C 6C 20 1F 01C@%%7…,l.,l .
00000030 0C 0C 14 14 02 01 01 20 00 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 02 … . …

According to the changelog of firmware updates, firmware 1.22 for the DVR-212 supposedly supports this up to 8X.

I wouldn’t go for any DL media that’s not Verbatim MIS. It is possible to get some decent results with richojpn media, but it’s usually a hit or miss on them

@ cantankerous,

If this seller states that RICOHJPND DL Media is at least as good if not better than TY or Verbatim he has a nose many times longer than Pinocchio.

Don’t waste any time/money/effort on RICOHJPND DL Media. This DL Media MID performance is very similar to Memorex DL Media.

As stated throughout the Form Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media is the only DL Media that consistently produces quality error free results. All other DL Media is considered suspect and should be avoided.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks guys, I figured as much. I only trusted Verbatim but thought I would ask just in case I was able to get more for a cheaper price and not regret it. I guess not.

What a disappointment!

MBI Double Layer was tested 3 different burner.

TEN tests, only one successful. Nine failed the verification and disc is not readable in

any dvd-rom.

In short, MBI Double Layer is a complete failure.

[QUOTE=donnorush;2229617]What a disappointment!

MBI Double Layer was tested 3 different burner.

TEN tests, only one successful. Nine failed the verification and disc is not readable in

any dvd-rom.

In short, MBI Double Layer is a complete failure.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this update. I was the starter of this thread. I am also glad I never did purchase any of this. Despite how much time has passed, nothing can touch the Verbatim DL in terms of quality and reliability.

I purchased the MBI DL discs (silver) from Blankmedia. The first 50 spindle gave me no problems at all. I thought they were fantastic so I bought a second spindle. It works perfectly until about half way through the pile, now I can’t get a single one to burn properly.

I have tried two different computers, three different burns, different files, etc. I have over 20 coasters sitting on my desk.

I am going to pick up a five pack of Verbatim discs this afternoon to see if I have better luck with them. If that doesn’t fix the issue maybe I will consider picking up another burner.

What are peoples opinions on the Pioneer 116?

UPDATE: I just purchased a 20 pack of Verbatim DL 2.4x discs and they worked perfectly. I will never touch MBI discs again.