MBI 01RG40... fake?

vbimport

Hi, about two months ago, I bought 25 spindle pack of Imation DVD-R. Since I got nice results I bought them again. But instead of obtaining nice results, they suck. Both spindles were made in India.

The code of the discs is different: In the good ones, it’s written “DVD-R 16X AZO1” and the bad ones, “Z0053U DVDMINUSR16X”. Someone can tell if these DVDs are fake? I have attached both scans, first one it’s the good one and second one is the bad one.

one looks like legit moser baer far as i know

[QUOTE=marcus_667;2126082]one looks like legit moser baer far as i know[/QUOTE]

Which is the real Moser Baer, the first or the second one?

Why would you possibly want to fake MBI media? mind boggles

My thoughts exactly. Imation uses a lot of Moser Baer media. Now, their CDs are decent, in my experience being one of the few manufactures that have never shown damage or failure, but their DVDs are nothing to write home about.

Yes, that last scan is fugly, but I can’t imagine Imation selling fake MBIs.

The AZO1 code is a hint, I think the good ones you’re referring to use a derivative of a metal AZO-type dye… I have no experience with MBI discs altogether, so I can’t comment on which code is “faked” - though I somewhat doubt Imation will use “fake” discs, I do know they get less-than-stellar batches from manufacturers (which might be the case with the bad batch).

This is certainly one of the reasons why I don’t buy Imation-branded DVDs. Too inconsistent. The quality isn’t too bad though, but for a little more money you could get better discs and more consistency per batch/spindle.

Do you have any problems reading the discs? Or are these woes only related to the difference in the scans/codes?

[QUOTE=evo69;2126118]The AZO1 code is a hint, I think the good ones you’re referring to use a derivative of a metal AZO-type dye… I have no experience with MBI discs altogether, so I can’t comment on which code is “faked” - though I somewhat doubt Imation will use “fake” discs, I do know they get less-than-stellar batches from manufacturers (which might be the case with the bad batch).

This is certainly one of the reasons why I don’t buy Imation-branded DVDs. Too inconsistent. The quality isn’t too bad though, but for a little more money you could get better discs and more consistency per batch/spindle.

Do you have any problems reading the discs? Or are these woes only related to the difference in the scans/codes?[/QUOTE]

The disc read fine as shown in the graph, but it is safe to store information is these discs, because the TRT is perfect?

I have scanned the DVD that it is good. It pretty strange because both spindles are identical but they contain different discs (and different codes).

That disc has a lot of dust specks and fibers.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2126081]Hi, about two months ago, I bought 25 spindle pack of Imation DVD-R. Since I got nice results I bought them again. But instead of obtaining nice results, they suck. Both spindles were made in India.

The code of the discs is different: In the good ones, it’s written “DVD-R 16X AZO1” and the bad ones, “Z0053U DVDMINUSR16X”. Someone can tell if these DVDs are fake? I have attached both scans, first one it’s the good one and second one is the bad one.[/QUOTE]

Hi juancdg,
both media are legit - MBIL is using a several kinds of stampers (even for the media with the same MID code).

[QUOTE=juancdg;2126162]The disc read fine as shown in the graph, but it is safe to store information is these discs, because the TRT is perfect?[/QUOTE]
The second quality result is not too bad and TRT is perfect - you should have no problems with such disc in terms of longetivity.
Try another burning speed (or another drive - LiteOn?), maybe the PIE/PIF results will be better.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2126162]The disc read fine as shown in the graph, but it is safe to store information is these discs, because the TRT is perfect?[/QUOTE]

It looks safe enough and when a TRT is perfect it suggests a good burn. Longevity should not be an issue unless there have been reports of early degradation - which seems to be none with MBI-manufactured media.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2126163]I have scanned the DVD that it is good. It pretty strange because both spindles are identical but they contain different discs (and different codes).[/QUOTE]

It’s not strange actually, it’s normal. This is why most forum members suggest sticking with certain brands of media because of the consistency they offer from different batches. Imation is known for using different kinds of discs using the same packaging without any indication in the difference of the discs used.

[QUOTE=pepst;2126195]Hi juancdg,
both media are legit - MBIL is using a several kinds of stampers (even for the media with the same MID code).

The second quality result is not too bad and TRT is perfect - you should have no problems with such disc in terms of longetivity.
Try another burning speed (or another drive - LiteOn?), maybe the PIE/PIF results will be better.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. :stuck_out_tongue:

i don’t think it’s fake… these newly made MBI media can be easily recognized from the constant 1-2 PIF throughout the disc, with a few 3-4 spikes… so that second scan is still good considering it’s MBI:)
See this scan, it’s almost the same: http://club.cdfreaks.com/2090808-post28.html

[QUOTE=camellote;2126171]That disc has a lot of dust specks and fibers.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is a disc that was failed :bigsmile:.

[QUOTE=pepst;2126195]Hi juancdg,

Try another burning speed (or another drive - LiteOn?), maybe the PIE/PIF results will be better.[/QUOTE]

So both spindles are true MBIs? I didn’t know that MBI was using different stampers to make the discs, even with the same MID code.

The discs shown at the top, were burned both at 8x. I have tried burning with Pioneer 115 and I’ve got almost the same result. I will try with LiteOn drive to see if it is better.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2126349]So both spindles are true MBIs? I didn’t know that MBI was using different stampers to make the discs, even with the same MID code.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are both legit media made by MBIL. Both stampers have probably the same parameters - geometry, etc, only the stamper code is different.
And it seems that MBIL has own mastering department - they are making the stampers by themselves.

Nope, the LiteOn is even worse :(.

[QUOTE=pepst;2126355]Yes, they are both legit media made by MBIL. Both stampers have probably the same parameters - geometry, etc, only the stamper code is different.
And it seems that MBIL has own mastering department - they are making the stampers by themselves.[/QUOTE]

Hi, if the stamper is the same, why the discs with the code “Z005…” produce constant PIF while the other doesn’t?

MBI stuff is sometimes very, very inconsistent from batch to batch, specially under some brands like… Imation. :frowning:

I’ve experienced the same variation with the Imation branded MBIPG101 R04 (8X +R), after Q2 2007. Before that, they were very consistent (and excellent). After that, I’ve had plenty of disappointing stuff. And I’m not talking just ugly scans, but frankly poor media with dye defects. Then excellent again, then bad again. Damn.

As you can guess, I stopped buying Imation entirely. If you insist on MBI media, I think the most consistent stuff is found under TDK, but don’t quote me on that.

Just like SeanW, I wonder who would ever want to fake MBI codes, specially since the actual write descriptors are technically so close the to the MCC ones. And Imation selling fake stuff? I don’t think they’ve gone that low. (yet? :p).

[QUOTE=juancdg;2126399]Hi, if the stamper is the same, why the discs with the code “Z005…” produce constant PIF while the other doesn’t?[/QUOTE]

Maybe those media are made on different lines or with different line settings, with different raw materials (polycarbonate, sputtering material, bonding glue, etc), etc.
It is very hard to make a good media, but even harder to maintain a stable and consistent media quality. Even the quality of media from the same batch/order are different in terms of quality - it depends mainly on how worn the stamper is. When the stamper is too worn out, the media are of worse quality. Also after a unnecessery maintance pauses the first media made after the pause are of worse quality. So the quality of media made in the same line in just 2-3 hours interval made can be pretty different.

Because that’s the variation in quality you have to expect from a company like Moser Baer. And honestly, why should anyone bother ‘faking’ MBI media? That would be like pirates producing fake Walmart brands, instead of the Gucci, Armani and the likes…