Mayor Problems with (Liggydee) flashing Nec ND-6650A

vbimport

Hi ppl,

I have or should I say HAD :confused: a Nec ND-6650A with firmwareversion 102C
The problem I had is that it didn’t burn “Platinum DVD+R DL”
The burningproces quit with an error, after buffering but before it started burning.
I tried it with Nero V7 and ImgBurn, so it was not the software that was the problem.

First I tried upgrading the firmware, because I hoped it was a simpel mediacode thing.
But I couldn’t find any official (newer) firmware on the NEC site
So I looked in this forum and found several things and I started expirimenting.
The mayor link I followed was the one from Liggy (http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/NEC-ND-6650A/)

I read that if I had 1.** I shouldn’t crossflash it with 2.** firmware

With Winflash I first made a backup of the original Firmware in my DVDrw

Then I tried all the 1.** firmware first flashing my DVDrw in the laptop with Winflash --> NO RESULT

Then I tried to change the Master/Slave settings of the burner.
The burner was originally set to Location 0 (0), which is the Master on the primary IDE (as I understand it correctly).
Which to me was strange, because that should be the same as the HDD, but thing is that worked
I tried setting it to Master again with the tool 6650master.exe, but I got the error: this bootcode will not work with your drive
So I tried the Slave tool 6650slave.exe and that worked, the led was flashing in the end.
I immidiatly tried to flash the firmware (as the tool states), but an error came up saying it couldn’t find the DVDrw.
So a reboot.

AND NOW THE PROBLEM STARTS !!!
I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 with the latets Biosfirmware.
When I booted the laptop the Bios came with the error that it couldn’t recognize the device in the bay (my DVDrw).
So rebooted without my DVDrw and in WinXP I inserted the DVDrw and WinXP luckely did recognize my Nec ND-6650A still
I tried again to flash the DVDrw with my backuped firmware, but winflash came with an error that it was the wrong firmware for the wrong drive.
I tried all the 1.** firmware from Liggy again, but the all came up with the same error.
Then I tried the 2.** firmware and that worked.
Jippeeeeee…but not really, because when I rebooted again, Dell still couldn’t recognize my DVDrw in the bay of my Dell 8100 anymore.

I then tried the NEC ND6650 Reverse ATA firmware, but that couldn’t find the DVDrw not (because the BIOS couldn’t find it either offcourse)
Anyway, I tried a couple of other little things, but NO RESULTS

THE SITUATION NOW:
The BIOS of my Dell 8100 doesn’t recognize the DVDrw in the bay
I am stuck with the error in WinFlas: “Proably mixing up master and slave firmware…it is not allowed to continue here. ID from drive 8c, ID from firmware: 87”
I have a completely usseles DVDrw

My QUESTIONS:
Is the difference between the 1.** and 2.** firmware from Liggy that one is for a Master and the other is for a Slave DVDrw ?
Is there a way to completely undo everything and return the DVDrw back to the old state with firmwareversion 102C ??
I think I found a sollution for my original problem with the “Platinum DVD+R DL”
As far as I understand it I can use a combination of the tools “DVD Identifier” and “Media Code Speed Edit” to add the Media code to Firmware.
So I think that should work with my original problem if I can solve my ptoblems which I have now

Any help is very much appriciated

Digi

This means that you changed your drive’s bootcode to slave but want to flash a master firmware. If Binflash would allow this, you could really bin your drive.

Is the difference between the 1.** and 2.** firmware from Liggy that one is for a Master and the other is for a Slave DVDrw ?

:iagree:
Actually it’s Cable Select and Inverse Cable Select, but that shouldn’t really make a difference. Let’s just just continue calling it master and slave.

Is there a way to completely undo everything and return the DVDrw back to the old state with firmwareversion 102C ??

If you can make your drive recognised properly, you should be able to use the NEC ND6650A Master Bootcode Flasher. You may however need a desktop PC and an IDE adapter in order to do that. But since Binflash is still able to see the drive, it should work right away.

I think I found a sollution for my original problem with the "Platinum DVD+R DL"
As far as I understand it I can use a combination of the tools “DVD Identifier” and “Media Code Speed Edit” to add the Media code to Firmware.

You may be able to burn the discs then, but they are likely to be unreadable due to wrong writing strategies.

However the best solution is to use Verbatim DVD+R DL instead of any other brand.

Hi Liggy,

First of all, thank you for responding, I am Honnored :bow: :slight_smile:

Ok, now I understand the difference between the 1.** and the 2.** firmware.
Since it is more understandable to call it “master” and “Slave”, I understand that the 1.** is the Master-firmware and the 2.** is the Slave-Firmware

I can now imagin that since I changed my Nec ND-6650A from Master to Slave with the tool 6650slave.exe, I can flash the DVDrw with 2.** firmware and not with 1.** firmware
And also the other way around

The trouble is that because the Bios doesn’t recognize my DVDrw anymore (because I changed it from Master to Slave), I can’t use the tool “6650master.exe” or "NEC ND6650A Master Bootcode Flasher"
My task is now to first make my DVDrw recognizable to the bios before I can change it back to it’s original Master setting
After that is done the Bios will recognize my DVDrw again and I should be able to load the 1.** firmware again
I just now ordered a IDE converter for the Slim DVDrw and I have a external USB bay.
I hopefully can use the two together to make the drive recognizable in the BIOS, otherwise I have to find an old desktop :slight_smile:

Anyway I understand what went wrong and there is still hope that I haven’t completly bricked my DVDrw
I will report my results as soon as I tried it in the comming days.

Your comment about my option of adding a media code to the firmware is understandable.
I am just saying that I want to give that option a try (once my DVDrw is back to it’s original state).
With the tools mentioned I already have seen that the Mediacode of my DVD’s are not in the firmware, so that was the reason that my DVDrw couldn’t burn them.
The next DVD’s I buy will be Verbatim as you recommended.

Thanks so far

A hopefull Digi :slight_smile:

As far as I know, most USB enclosures only work with master drives, but maybe you’re lucky. Different option would be finding someone with a Toshiba laptop (these require slave firmwares) or trying to solder pin 45 and 47 on your drive’s connector. (Search the forum for more detailled information)

Hi good PPL of CDfreaks and Liggy :bow: ,

Thanks for replying Liggy.
First of all I managed to undo the dammage I have done :smiley:

What I now will decribe is what I have done and how, so maybe this will help others with a simulair problem.
Don’t ask to much why’s, because I can not explain exactly why one option didn’t work and the other did work.
The only thing I do know is that I have my Nec ND-6650A back in it’s original config.

Here we go:

As you can read I managed to reverse my cable select of my Nec ND-6650A from a Master DVDrw to a Slave DVDrw.
By the way I ignored al the warnings of Liggy to use the “NEC ND6650A Slave bootcode flasher” with an IDE cable in a normal Desktop PC instead of flashing it in my laptop :doh:

The problem was that the Bios of my Dell inspiron 8100 didn’t recognize the Slave DVDrw anymore, but after booting without my Slave DVDrw and in WinXP insirting the DVDrw, WinXP did recognize the Slave DVDrw.
This was not my idea of a ideal situation and also I didn’t trust burning DVD’s in this config.
So I wanted to flash the bootcode to my original bootcode again, but that didn’t wasn’t very easy, so I started to systematicly try every option.

Option 1 (FAILED :sad: ) :
I bought a “IDE converter for the Slim DVDrw” and connected my DVDrw with this converter to an USB external case.
This USB external case I connected to my Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop and booted.
My Bios didn’t complain, but offcourse didn’t see or mentioned anything about my DVDrw (because it was connected externally)
WinXP did see the DVDrw
I booted once again and used a bootfloppy to start in DOS
This standard Win98 bootfloppy did detect my external DVDrw by the way.
I tried to use “NEC ND6650A Master bootcode flasher” as well as the "NEC ND6650A Normal ATA firmware package"
Both gave me an error saying it couldn’t find my Nec ND-6650A.
So Liggy was right, an external USB case wouldn’t work.

Conclusion:
By now I am convinsed that my DVDrw FIRST need to be seen in my Bios, before I can use the bootcode-flash

Option 2 (failed :sad: ) :
I had an old dual processor Server (1GHz) and I used an old HDD to install a fresh WinXP.
But after that I disconnected the HDD and only used a Win98 Floppy to boot in dos.
I connected my DVDrw with “IDE converter for the Slim DVDrw” to my server with the following options:

• used a single IDE-cable (with only 2 IDE connectors; one for my Systemboard, one for my IDE device)
  • used a double IDE cable (with 3 IDE connectors; one for my Systemboard and two for my IDE devices) and tried both my IDE device connectors
  • used my primairy IDE port as well as my secondairy IDE port
    Not any of the options made my DVDrw visable in my BIOS.
    I tried to use “NEC ND6650A Master bootcode flasher” as well as the "NEC ND6650A Normal ATA firmware package"
    Both gave me an error saying it couldn’t find my Nec ND-6650A.

Option 3 (WORKED :clap: ) :
I used an Ultra ATA Cable (the cable with more wires in the IDE flatcable than a normal IDE cable)
A very usefull thing by the way, is that my Ultra ATA Cable has stickers on them explaining what connector is the Systemboard, Master and Slave connector.
I connected my DVDrw with “IDE converter for the Slim DVDrw” to the middle connector (which is the Slave connector) of the Ultra ATA Cable and connected the cable to the Primairy IDE port
THIS WORKED: THE BIOS OF MY PC DID SEE MY DVDrw !!!
Any other way of connecting using this Ultra ATA cable (so on the secondary IDE port or on the Master connector) failed.

NOW LETS CONTINUE:
Now that I had my DVDrw visable in my BIOS I used “NEC ND6650A Master bootcode flasher” as well as the "NEC ND6650A Normal ATA firmware package"
Both still gave an error (I unfortunatly don’t remember what the error said, but I remember that the could find my DVDrw, but were complaining something about not being the right DVDrw or something)
Than from the “NEC ND6650A Normal ATA firmware package” I didn’t execute the 6650BOOT.BAT-file (as the decription said), but I executed C1222230.EXE-file.
THIS WORKED JIPPIEEEEE !!! :clap:
Now the bootcode of my DVDrw was once again set to master.
I than executed the 6650MAIN.BAT-file (as the decription said), and my DVDrw had the original firmware V103A again.
I shutdown my PC and connected my DVDrw to the second Ultra ATA connector (this is the master IDE connector) and rebooted my pc again.
My DVDrw was now seen as a master.
I inserted my Nec ND-6650A in my Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop and booted.
The BIOS did see the DVDrw again and booted normally.
WinXP did see the DVDrw also offcourse and looking at the proporties of my DVDrw I could see that the channel was once again 0(0).

Conclusion:
After 8 hours of trying and installing and being 4:00 a.m. the problem was solved and my Nec ND-6650A was once again back to factory settings :slight_smile:

I know this was a long story, but hopefully this will help any other PPL with the same problem.
This was THE ONLY WAY to convert flash my DVDrw back to factory settings after making a misstake.

LIGGY: Maybe this (in a shorter version) could be an add-on manual in case something goes wrong

Good luck,

A happy DIGI :slight_smile:

P.S:
My second problem about not recognisable DL DVD’s is not important, I have my DVDrw back the way it was and I just have to buy recognisable DVD’s.
So that problem is solved as well :slight_smile: