May this be what I ran into, alpha-dvd/sony?

hi all.

a while back, around x-mas time i brought up an issue of mine in which i targeted sony as a malware maker who messes up burners.

i wondered alot about this issue and never gave up on it. i found a post on cdfreaks main news page that mentioned some issues in germany envolving dvd burners. may this be what i found, but here in region 1?

this is the story heading on the news page:

DHS warns that continued rootkit usage may lead to regulation
Posted by Seán Byrne on 20 February 2006 - 00:29 - Source: Computer World - Security

in the the article you can find this link:

Settec protection on German video DVD impairs CD/DVD writers
Posted by Dan Bell on 10 February 2006 - 20:53 - Source: Heise

the heading for my original post was: sony malware/virus that attackes sony burners. google it to read it.

has something to do with alpha-dvd.

any knowledge, feedback appreciated. whisperer 1 are you out there?

As before, we remind you that there is currently no known virus/trojan/malware/rootkit of any kind that damages burners.

Could a rootkit or malware impair YOUR access to the burner, necessitating removal of the malware? Sure.

But will it DAMAGE THE BURNER?

No. Please lay off with this, it doesn’t happen.

if i recall correctly, your previous problem was identified, and a number of solutions were suggested.

I hate to break it to you, but you don’t have some kind of rootkit or malware damaging your drive.

have you taken the advice in your previous thread?

ok:

i have solved my problem using previous suggestions. not looking to argue, just pointing out an article that supports my beliefs in part. the article mentioned that dvd-rw media was ruined in tests. i myself had many damaged discs that would not erase and were coming up as erase errors using nero.

i encountered something, it is real, and i don’t care if you believe me or not. read the article and it talks about burner problems. all i want to do is inform others.

thank you.

and

i am no longer pointing a finger at sony. the hardware (burners), being ok, are gone.
using plextor now. even using verbatim dvd+r new top notch 16X azo. so, cut me some slack and at least realize that i stumbled onto something, even though it may have been misconstrude in the effects. people are having problems and alpha-dvd
may be the source.

thank you