May my BenQ 1620 RIP, What now?

Hello all, been a while

My trusty old 1620 has finally gone for it and now I am lost :sad:

Any suggestions on a good drive that likes my disc of choice, ricoh+r, and that I can use Nero cd/dvd speed burn quality test function on

I have a pioneer 111 and was looking at the Samsung 203b but don`t think can do the quality test with this

Have had a good search in forums and cannot see what I am looking for

Thank you

You can perform Disc Quality scans on DVD media on the Samsung if you make a small change in the registry. It’s not a good drive for scanning CD media, however.

LiteOn DVD drives are good for scanning DVDs but not good for scanning CDs. The newer LiteOn drives also have good burning quality.

If you need a good scanner for CD media, the choices are slim. If you need to know, then ask.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1963144]You can perform Disc Quality scans on DVD media on the Samsung if you make a small change in the registry. It’s not a good drive for scanning CD media, however.

LiteOn DVD drives are good for scanning DVDs but not good for scanning CDs. The newer LiteOn drives also have good burning quality.

If you need a good scanner for CD media, the choices are slim. If you need to know, then ask.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for quick response

I think the reading abilitys of my 1620 are still ok, having just burnt a tdkdvd-r on my pioneer and quality tested it using my 1620 and got a score of 95

Could you please educate me on the lite-ons because I bought a Sony/liteon a very long time ago and it was so poor i never used it

Not bovered about cd as most of my burning is dvd movies

Sweet

Ahhh, so your 1620 still works :smiley: Most likely you need to clean its lense, then voila, wave the wand, and I bet it’ll work like new again hehe.

It takes like 5min, remove it from the case, take the four screws out, if it has an emergency eject hole in the front face, slide a straightened out paper clip in there to eject the tray. Depending on the drive the face might need to be popped off, then slide the chasis apart. Use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol to clean the lense, don’t over do-it, and be gentle.

If it can still scan and read but doesnt burn well, that pretty much means none of the IC’s have burnt out.

Nice one, most def try that.

Decided I am gonna get me a Sammy 203 and a Lite-on LH-20A1P anyways just to try a few new drives out

Anyone know if performance difference between the 203 that lightscribe and the one that don`t

Also any diff between the lite on that has a three digit number after the model, cant remember what they are

Yo-

You are aware that the Sammy 203 is a [I]Serial[/I] ATA burner and not an IDE ATA burner (the 202 is the Sammy IDE ATA burner)-

In any event - think that you will be pleased with both burners - I especially like the LiteOns being put out in the past couple of years as they have proven to be very reliable burners-eh!!