May i know what DVD+/-R discs are best for writing

vbimport

I am presently using a SONY DRU-720A, which seems to have problems writing my sony dvd+r. After browsing through the forums it seems that i have lost my original thread. The thread was about a list of tiered dvd+/-r manufacturers and what discs should i purchase for a more reliable burn. Instead of obtaining, a power calibration error consecutively even though i am using the top tiered discs by sony. I would greatly appreciate any kind advice provided thank you.

Verbatim-branded discs not made in Japan (8X, 16X, +R, -R…), HP-branded discs, Panasonic made in Japan 16X -R discs.

I would also recommend [B]Verbatim [/B]media, they are available almost everywhere, affordable and have a very good quality.
Also you might consider some Taiyo Yuden media. :slight_smile:

I would concur with the above. Any Verbatim other than Tayio Yuden (Made In Japan).

But where you can get your hands on some 8x Tayio Yuden DVD Rs(be it +R YUDEN000 T02, or -R TGY02) it would also be a reasonably good bet.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2068118]Verbatim-branded discs not made in Japan (8X, 16X, +R, -R…), HP-branded discs, Panasonic made in Japan 16X -R discs.[/QUOTE]

I agree with those recommendations :iagree:

Do you keep your drive’s firmware updated & if so, do you read the changelog prior to updating? Although I would agree with the advice on Verbatims or Taiyo Yudens for more consistant burns. What is the MID of these Sony discs?

I would not hesitate to recommend also Samsung branded Optodisc (16x), 8x and 16x DVD+R Benq and 8x DVD+R LG

[QUOTE=SeanW;2069001]I would concur with the above. Any Verbatim other than Tayio Yuden (Made In Japan).

But where you can get your hands on some 8x Tayio Yuden DVD Rs(be it +R YUDEN000 T02, or -R TGY02) it would also be a reasonably good bet.[/QUOTE]I concur, but I guess that the original poster could start to be confused by all this Japan/Non Japan Taiyo Yuden/non Taiyo Yuden recommendations… :bigsmile:

So I’ll try to clear this up for him:

Genuine Verbatim-branded Single Layer DVDR discs can be either:

1. Verbatim own technology (“MCC”), these can be made in India or Taiwan (and perhaps China).
  2. Taiyo Yuden technology, made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan.
  3. Other manufacturers technology like CMC or Ritek (very rare, limited to the scarse “Pearl Whites” line of discs, and if I remember well also discs sold in Brazil…?)

Verbatim own MCC discs are regarded as high quality discs. That’s what I mainly use and I’m very satisfied with it.

While 8X +R and 16X -R Taiyo Yuden discs are regarded by everyone as very high quality, for some reason the ones that Verbatim brands and sells seem to be of significantly lower quality than their own MCC discs, and than Taiyo Yuden discs sold as unbranded or under the That’s or Panasonic brands.

Thus my recommendation to buy Verbatims not made in Japan (to avoid the lower quality Taiyo Yuden branded by Verbtim) or Panasonic made in Japan 16X -R (which are good quality Taiyo Yuden branded by Panasonic).

For the record, “Taiyo Yuden” is not a brand of discs, it’s the name of a manufacturer. Taiyo Yuden’s own brand is “That’s” and cannot be found out of Asia. You can buy Taiyo Yuden discs either unbranded (with or without a TY logo in the package) from reputable dealers (in the US www.rima.com, in Europe www.svp.co.uk); or under brands like Panasonic (recommended), Datasafe Pro (not recommended), Verbatim (not recommended)…

You can also consider pepst’s additional recommendations, though I think that the Verbs (any model not made in Japan) and 16X -R made in japan Panasonics are the safer bet in general.

May i know what type of DVD media should i use for storing data? As in the market, there are mutliple formats but the mainstreams ones are the dvd+/-r. I am looking for discs with robust storage longevity, and good quality burns without the occasional “power calibration error”. Kindly appreciate if anyone here could enlighten me on this matter, even provide me with a couple of links to research on whatever media would be best suited for the indvidual thank you.

You already opened a thread with the same question, and got answers.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/may-i-know-what-dvd-r-discs-best-writing-245957/

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2070032]You already opened a thread with the same question, and got answers.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/may-i-know-what-dvd-r-discs-best-writing-245957/[/QUOTE]

Threads merged :wink:

@LebronJames23 - no need to open up a new thread on basically the same subject.

[quote=LebronJames23;2070020] I am looking for discs with robust storage longevity, and good quality burns without the occasional “power calibration error”.
[/quote]
You get this error when media is either unbelievably bad quality or unsupported by your burner (and therefore likely to be bad quality).

Read the posts above.

would there be like a guide on what dvd medias to chose from? In addition is there a compiled list of media codes corresponding to the market-sold medias?

I suggest you look at the polls at the top of the Blank Media forum list which correspond to how our users have voted for the last two years:

Poll: Which brands of DVD media are good for everyday use? [2006-2007]

Poll: Which DVD-R media is best for long-term storage? [2006-2007]

Poll: Which DVD+R media is best for long-term storage? [2006-2007]

You can search for media codes in the VideoHelp Media Database which contains a lot (but not all) DVD media.