Maxtor SATA 150 card wont recognize SB-203B

Had 1 sata port left on this card, all my mobo ports are used, it wont even recognize the drive or any other attached, have to latest drivers.

So i swapped it to the mobo and you all know how a pain in the ass XP is once you change any HD around, wont boot, have to go into Recovery console and do a Bootcfg /rebuild.

I have 6 hard drives and 2 burners on a Abit AN7.
Oop’s meant SH-203b, just got it yesterday and installed it this morning…well trying.

Hi,

this is a OEM Promise controller card built for Maxtor to be bundled with a SATA HDD. Most Promise controllers don’t support optical drives at all, with some others it’s like gambling if a ODD will work (I was lucky with mine).
Standard recommendation are Silicon Image based controller cards.

Michael

Well that answers the question, i tried to do a bootcfg /rebuild but said i needed to chkdsk, so i went to work and left it running.
Few things about XP that are a pain in the arse!

[QUOTE=mciahel;1915247]Standard recommendation are Silicon Image based controller cards.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Michael is correct in saying Silicon Image based controller cards work best with the SH-203B you have a lot
better chance of it working correctly than with another chipset ie_(Promise) or something else. Here is what
I’m using with my S203B on eSATA port with the Silicon chipset and Galaxy external enclosure it works great :iagree:
Newegg.com - MASSCOOL PCI Card, 1 external eSATA + 2 internal SATA Model XWT-RC061 - Retail

All setup and running now, my mobo has a silicon based onboard sata so that detected no problem!
Once the chkdsk finished and bootcfg setup i’m good to roll!
Thanks!

Glad to hear it is all working okay for you now :iagree::clap:

Seems this burner is really screwing my system up, everytime i reboot i get a System Disc error, run chdsk it finds a error, then boot’s fine…untill i shutdown again, it is really screwing up my sata main boot drive as i have a barracuda 80gig as my main op sys and the other onboard sata port is for the samsung drive.
I either have to buy a sata card or remove it all toghter and maybe install it in my work poot as it has 4 onboard sata ports.

[QUOTE=Budman62;1917232]Seems this burner is really screwing my system up, everytime i reboot i get a System Disc error, run chdsk it finds a error, then boot’s fine…untill i shutdown again, it is really screwing up my sata main boot drive as i have a barracuda 80gig as my main op sys and the other onboard sata port is for the samsung drive.
I either have to buy a sata card or remove it all toghter and maybe install it in my work poot as it has 4 onboard sata ports.[/QUOTE]

Are you using the Nforce ide drivers or microsoft ide drivers? You could either download and install the latest Nvidia ide drivers or uninstall it then use the microsoft ide drivers. Make sure raid is disabled in your mobo bios. If all else fails then buy a sata pci controller card with either the silicon image 3114 or 3512 chipset. :wink:

This drive has cost me alot of headaches, i installed all my drives in another pc, which has onboard Silicon image and using Vista, once it finally boots it starts detecting the drive and goes to a blue screen.
I disconnected the cable and it boots fine
I screwed my XP drive with this and now Vista wont work with it, back to Newegg it goes!!
HAD ENOUGH for 1 week!!

I’m sticking with my BenQ 1640’s forever!!

[QUOTE=Budman62;1917863]This drive has cost me alot of headaches, i installed all my drives in another pc, which has onboard Silicon image and using Vista, once it finally boots it starts detecting the drive and goes to a blue screen.
I disconnected the cable and it boots fine
I screwed my XP drive with this and now Vista wont work with it, back to Newegg it goes!!
HAD ENOUGH for 1 week!!

I’m sticking with my BenQ 1640’s forever!![/QUOTE]

I’m sorry to hear that you couldn’t get it to working correctly maybe it was just a bad drive that has problems that you received :frowning: :confused:

Well i never give up and just formatted and reinstalled winXp, been getting some blue screens while reloading all my chit , but prob do to memory settings in the bio’s cause i have pc2700 and pc3200 memory set at 400hz, lowered it to 333, seems more stable, this is a MSI ati based mobo i’m using now.
Using a Litey 20A1p and the S203B now

Problem i was having was performing bootcfg my E drive was recognized as drive H which was the 203B, i think it being a RAM drive it was confusing the Abit AN7?