Maxtor OneTouch enclosure (OXFW911-based) flashing issues

vbimport

Hi all. I’m new to this forum but have read through most of the “big external enclosures thread” in search of help with my Oxford911-based Maxtor OneTouch case/drive. The case supports both USB2.0 (1 port) and Firewire (2 ports for daisy-chains) but for some strange reason I am unable to upgrade the firmware. The enclosure (and the drive within) are already out of warranty but ever since I’ve purchase this setup I’ve been running into 1394 Delayed Write Failures, random disconnects, NTFS partition corruption, formation of virtual bad sectors, etc.

Anyhow to make a long story short I’ve googled the chipset and the enclosure/drive and found many interesting threads that eventually led me to this forum. I’ve gathered many files (1394Test.exe, 1tchcfg.exe, FW107.zip, me-350f.zip, Oxford160GB.zip, WINOT1to2UP.rar, xp_updater_1_64.1.zip, FW911_V4_00_0000_Release.bin, ROMWriter2.0.4(32kROM).exe,ROMWriter2.2.1(32kROM).exe). With everything connected, Maxtor’s utility recognized the enclosure/drive as:

Model OneTouch
Serial No Y43ZPFKE
Capacity 163,927,556,096 bytes
FW version 02.0.0
(I guess this is rather old)
OneTouch Software 3.0.0.5

Next, I unscrewed the enclosure and removed the drive and found:

1. a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB ATA/133 HDD
2. an Oxford Semi OXFW911-TQ-A KV900 C0403 chip
3. a CY7C68013-100AC 0407 E 04 607502 chip
4. an AGERE FW8020 59295433 0407t chip
5. two “setable” jumpers: J302
(2 pins connected by default via a jumper - removing it seems to have no positive or negative side-effects) and J205 (3 pins with pin 1 and 2 connected by defautl via a jumper, taking it out disables detection of the device, moving it to pins 2 and 3 seems to have no positive or negative side-effects).

I plugged the enclosure into two different 1394 ports (the on-board Mobo port and an Audigy 2ZS port), for ROMWriter2.0.4/ROMWriter2.21 I used each and every one of the 8 USB 2.0 ports… still none of the utilities allowed me to flash the Oxford911 chipset and/or view the current one. I’ve tried the Production.bat method which seems to have succeed but FwUpload.exe and fw9.exe still won’t allow me to upload the new firmware (v4.0). Entering the “fw9 get_info” syntax, yields :

Locating FW9xx device…0xFFC1
Hardware: Unknown
Firmware: GIF89a» on 4
Device 0: UDMA2 Generic device
Device 1: UDMA0 Generic device

However, fw9.exe will not set the running firmware into force flash mode. My attempts to force the flash image (FW911_V4_00_0000_Release.bin) onto the chip using fw9.exe also failed.

Oxsemi Updater Utility 1.64 reports: “A blank FW UF911 has been selected. It is not possible to upgrade the firmware in this device.”

Oxsemi Uploader 1.64 (hacked to removed the grey-outs) reports: “A blank OXFW911 has been selected. You must select a flash type to continue.” and allows me to 1. select flash 2. add flash. Once I select Oxford Semiconductor OXFW911 - 16bit (70nS read access) the Oxsemi Uploader reports: “A blank OXFW911 has been selected. Ready to Upload.” and allows me to select 3. upload/upgrade firmware. At this point I’m given no choice of firmware and the upgrade/upload process completes telling me "A blank OXFW911 has been selected. You must select a flash type to continue. Switch the device out of force flash mode and reset it."Strange info as I can’t see how the device ever entered force flash mode in the first place? More on this - below. I unplug the firewire cable, power off the enclosure and restart the computer, still fw9 reports the same old firmware. Any suggestions? Can anyone help?

UPDATE: Using Oxsemi Uploader 1.64 (with no connected device) I was able to access 4. Modify Configuration Information and from there load the config_911.txt from one of the folders. I modified the file as needed and saved it in binary form as config.bin which I placed within the fw9 folder along with the v4.0 firmware. Next, I edited the flash911.bat file to point it to the correct firmware and the config file and run it using the command prompt. Here is the result (again - after this procedure - the firmware appears to have stayed the same):

C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 force_flash
Locating FW9xx device…0xFFC0
Attempting force flash mode…
Unable to enter force flash mode!
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 unprotect
Sending flash unprotect command…
Done
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 erase
Erasing entire flash…
Done
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 program_file 0
fw911v4.bin
Uploading fw911v4.bin to location 0x0000…
File length 37808 bytes - 100%
Done
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 program_file 7
f00 config.bin
Uploading config.bin to location 0x7F00…
File length 408 bytes - 100%
Done
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 bus_reset
Bus reset…
Done

Finally, I also found this short bit of information on this forum:
“Hi Bob, I know you were reading the Oxford Manual in detail on how to Force Load the firmware. The manual is talking about the Oxford Development BridgeBoard. And YES their is a pin57 jumper block. But the Manufacturer of your case and also my Belkin case manufactures their own bridge board without a pin57 jumper block. I don’t have any jumper block on my BridgeBoard and more than likely you don’t either. What you have to do… (1)Go to the Oxford Site and look for the document that has a “picture” of the chip with pin numbers. (2)I took a very thin piece of copper wire and attached to the ground post. (3)Very carefully I placed the other end of the copper wre directly on pin57 on the Oxford 911 chip directly (making sure it did not touch pin56 or pin58). (4)Powered on the case and took the wire off pin57 quickly. I was then able to force load the case… You must be very carefully when doing this, you can destroy the chipset… But since the Upoader doesn’t even SEE you case you don’t really have a option…”

Nonetheless, I’ve searched far and wide but can’t seem to find the pic of the chip with pin numbers. Can anyone provide a link or post the pic? Thanks again and excuse me for such a long post and a new thread but it needs to be to-the-point, detailed and with a new thread (which I assume is rather informative) I might hopefully get some help. Any help or knowledge on force flashing / force loading the bin onto by oxford911 would also be very useful (not only for me).

Too bad no one can’t offer me any assistance. Maxtor hasn’t replied to my “support” emails, the same is true in the case of Oxford Semiconductor and finally also busTRACE Technologies. Anyhow I did make some progress. I’ve located a third jumper J204 located right next to the IDE connector (it was well hidden) and traced it back to PIN57 mentioned in the quote above. I’ve tried to short out the PIN using that jumper (by default there was nothing on the connector and so I placed a jumper and saw how it would affect things in the on, off, power on, power off states). I also tried to use s thin cooper wire to manually short the PIN on the actual chip with the ground inside the 4-pin IDE power molex. No luck both ways, fw9 will NOT enter force flash mode. :frowning: Any ideas?

What do you know - I think I got it to work! Now let’s just hope the case actually works!

C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► flash911.bat
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 force_flash
Attempting force flash mode…
Done
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 unprotect
Sending flash unprotect command…
Done
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 erase
Erasing entire flash…
Done
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 program_file 0
fw911v4.bin
Uploading fw911v4.bin to location 0x0000…
File length 37808 bytes - 100%
Done
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 program_file 7
f00 config.bin
Uploading config.bin to location 0x7F00…
File length 408 bytes - 100%
Done
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|► fw9 bus_reset
Bus reset…
Done
C:\Program Files\Oxford Semiconductor\OXFW900 Uploader\FW9|►

Strangely OXSEMI’s Update Utility 1.64 reports:
A programmed OXFW911 has been selected. Ready to Upload.
AMD (3.3V Devices) AM29LV001BT - 8 bit (120 nS read access)
Currently Running 13:59:47 Oct 15 2004 (v 4.0) firmware.

OXSEMI’s (cracked) Uploader sees the same and freezes when I try to modify the configuration information.

Ok. Currently my Mobo’s on-board firewire port (Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller) will not detect the enclosure, in turn the on-Audigy 2ZS (OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller) detects:

A programmed OXFW911 has been selected.
Ready to Upload.
Oxford Semiconductor OXFW911 - 16 bit (70 nS read access)
Currently Running 13:59:47 Oct 15 2004 (v 4.0) firmware.

Thus, all seems good (right?). However, the enclosure LEDs no longer light up at the flip of the power switch and remain unlit. XP SP2 Pro will not detect a drive installed in the enclosure, in fact it does not detect any device attached via the enclosure to the IEEE1394 or USB2.0 bus. Ideas?

UPDATE: I just tried to hook up the 160GB Maxtor (as mentioned above) to the on-Audigy 2ZS OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Controller via the newly flashed enclosure and XP found the drive! It detects it as an Oxford Semiconductor Ltd. 1 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device (OXFORD IDE Device). The volume shows up as Disk 1, Basic Type, MBR Partition style, 156320MB. Let’s hope that the Delayed Write Failures are now a thing of the past. I’ll keep everyone posted. Bottom line - flashing the OXFW911-TQ-A inside the OneTouch enclosure works and hopefully solves this issue (listen up Maxtor!)

maxxi:
any chance you can post a clear guide on how to update the firmware on my 250gb one touch to regular oxford firmware? i’ve changed the drive to a hitachi, and would like to use it as a regular oxford chipset. i don’t care about loosing the “one touch” button functionality.

thanks,
.paz

also how has your drive been working now since you updated it?

ok so i’m able to do everything you’ve been able to do except enter force flash mode. i beleive this is key. i also don’t have the cracked updater so i can’t make that work either. all help appreciated thanks.

Hello

Has anybody other than Maxxi managed to do this in the mean time? I’m stuck with forcing into flash mode. Tried now for quite a time. Grounding pin 57 doesn’t seem to help. I’m pretty desperate here…

Thanx in advance for any reply.

Cheers,
Ezra.

:disagree:I have managed to follow Maxxi’s steps to the successful conclusion, just do not ask me how, I have tried so many things that after 8 hours straight on it at 3:00 a.m. I am not sure which one worked. I have lost connectivity to the board and then right after that I could program it with the new firmware- bye bye Maxtor and the hard disk 137 GB limit.

Just to backtrack my last steps: I was fiddling with two jumpers- J204 & J205. It went something like this- moved J205 to 2-3 and then connected J204. Plugged in the power and the FW cable, turned the unit on and forced programmed it.

While playing with the locked for programming enclosure I was having an issue with the jumper J204, when it was on the drive went off the air and could not be programmed. If disconnected the drive would refuse to switch into the force flash mode.

Hence another set of events that might have broken Maxtor’s spell goes like this: Since the firewire link is being powered from the PC it does not get broken unless disconnected and I guess that the rest of the IC’s go down after the power switch is flicked and this might have been another key moment. Plug in the FW cable, turn the power on& off, fit J204, power on and flash the device.

I highly recommend to take the PCB out of the enclosure, it all goes much faster.

Let me know if there is still interest in this topic and I will try to help, perhaps we can figure out what are the key steps.

Just to set your expectations right- even after the firmware upgrade the PATA disks over 137 Gbytes in size are not supported by the Maxtor One Touch enclosure with the exception of Maxtor disks- see the white paper here http://www.wiebetech.com/pressreleases/ATA6firewire.htm.

This is because of a non-standard ATA firmware in the forth mentioned disks that uses a backdoor to eliminate the ATA-5 disk size limit in Oxford 911 chips.