Maximum vs. Set Speed

When I set the preferred speed to maximum I get different burn speeds after a transcoding has been performed but when I set it to the desired speed everything is burnt fine. Can anyone explain why? This is the same strange machine I switched the 708A and 712A.

There is indeed an internal difference between Maximum speed and setting a desired speed.
When you set the speed to “Maximum” CloneDVD will not suggest a speed to the burner, so in your case it is up to Plextor to decide the optimum speed for your media (which - actually, isn’t such a bad idea after all).

If the Media code is 8X or the write descriptor is highier, shouldn’t the burner write at that speed instead of going slower for optimum speed?

If you remember my crazy computer, the AMD now has the 708 in it and with it set to Maximum, it will write at the fastest speed, but the Intel motherboard with the 712 set to Max, it writes at diffrent speeds, I have to set it for the desired speed of 8X or 12X.

Ollie Wrote:

When you set the speed to “Maximum” CloneDVD will not suggest a speed to the burner, so in your case it is up to Plextor to decide the optimum speed for your media (which - actually, isn’t such a bad idea after all).

I see a big diffrence in setting the speed to what I thought they can handle compared to letting the burner decide. I looked at the write descriptor and it showed that they were able to go up to 8X, but looking at the burn I guess it is best to just set it to Maximum and let the burner decide.

first Pic shows where I set the burn speed to 8X with the media being 4X, and the second shows where I set to Maximum and from the burn time, I believe it was burnt @ 6X, 9min 38sec