Maximum Network Length

vbimport

Hi, I’m thinking about trying to network my computer with one of my neighbours his computer is about 30m away from mine, is there a maximum length that a network cable can be or is there a certain point when the length of the cable would start to decrease the quality of the connection (is going to be for gaming)?

I was thinking about a wireless network, all I’ve looked at so far is Bluetooth and the usb adaptor I seen would only send the signal 10m can you get more powerful Bluetooth connectors or do you know anything about other types of wireless networking that you could point me in the direction of and the prices of them?

Thanks
Stu

UTP network cable can be up to 100m and more. I don’t know for wireless though, but I’m sure you’ll find enough information on homepages from manufacturers. (google might be a good help)

Length = from connection to connection (so from hub to hub , nic to nic , hub to nic or nic to hub. Hub can be switch or repeater as well of course and are always ACTIVE (= uses electricity) components , never passive). Always include terminators and T junctions in the length (about 5 centimeters). Always use certified cables ! (Cat. 5 , 5e , 6 , etc)

Gigabit Ethernet (over copper), 1000baseT
Speed: 1000 Mbps
Max Length: 100 Meters
Cable: UTP, RJ-45 connectors

Fast Ethernet, 100baseT
Speed: 100 Mbps

Twisted Pair Ethernet, 10baseT
Speed: 10 Mbps

Thin Ethernet , 10 base 2
Max Length: 185 Meters
Cable: RG-58 type coax, 50 ohm impedance

Thick Ethernet, 10 base 5
Max Length: 500 Meters
Cable: RG-58 type coax, 50 ohm impedance

I would recommend the usage of WiFi over Bluetooth. WiFi is cheaper and a little faster (unless you’re in the US, where Wifi can reach up to 54MBit, only 11MBit in Europe). For sharing a common internet connection and exchanging some files every now and then, this is sufficient. But… be aware of the fact that the security of the WiFi standard isn’t all that good, and depending on the distance between the two nodes, the speed differs.

Doing 30m with standard UTP cable shouldn’t be a problem at all, as long as you don’t bend the cable too much and ake care or other interfering sources, as phone and electricity cables.