Maxells Going Bad

vbimport

My Maxells from about 2 years ago are starting to go bad. They were burned by a Lite On 1693S and scanned fine at the time. The discs were stored in a spindle.

This is the worst one, with visible discoloration and spots. Most of the others were at least mostly readble.

The inner ring code starts with 0422BF, and the they are Made in Japan with a teal color top.

EDIT: attached scan of 2nd unreadable disc.

You should retry another scan on a different drive with the same disk.

I tried in a DW1650 in an external enclosure first, and then this DW1655 internal. Both were about the same.

[QUOTE=Slaimus;2029265]I tried in a DW1650 in an external enclosure first, and then this DW1655 internal. Both were about the same.[/QUOTE]

Oh boy… then I hate to say anything bad about Maxell. I used thier Pro line CD’s with never a problem. I use there dvd’s too. Maybe you just got a couple of bad disks I hope? :rolleyes:

Do your spots look like the ones shown here: http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/DVD/Maxell-DVDR-spots.html ?

Got any scans from before they degraded that you can post here? Otherwise some people may be skeptical about it.

[quote=Slaimus;2029238]My Maxells from about 2 years ago are starting to go bad. They were burned by a Lite On 1693S and scanned fine at the time.[/quote] Did they scane fine in the same BenQ DW1650 at the time or did they scan fine in the LiteOn 1693S?

The reason I’m asking is that there can be a very significant difference between scans in different types of drives, and discs that scan fine in LiteOn drives can scan poorly in BenQ drives.

Just wondering: did you put sticky labels on these discs? If so, removing them might help.

I also don’t want to believe that your 002’s could have failed so quickly and so consistently. Mine show little to no degradation over the last few years. I know that the -R’s have a reputation for poor bonding and susceptibility to humidity damage, but I haven’t seen that with the +R’s.

theSpam: Nothing like those spots. I can see bands with slightly darker color and one disc had a few dots, but nothing in that pattern.

Drage: I didn’t save those scans at the time. I scanned in the LiteOn and they would have been good or I would have reburned.

tropic: No I didn’t put any labels.

I haven’t gone back to find all of them from this batch yet. They were bought from Offce Depot and I don’t remember if it was a 50 or 100 pack.