Maxell RG01 - GREAT!

Hi,

I am a noob to this.

I have stumbled accross some old Maxell RG01. DVDIdentifier info to follow…

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MXL RG01]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [MXL RG01]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x - (2x)]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3 MB = 4.38 GB]

1. The forum questions whether these are the best discs. Are they good? Does good mean they will last longer? I want longevity out of my burns with my Pioneer 106D. Speed is not an issue.

2. How do you interpret the PI & PO graphs? Is there a good web site that explains this?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Serpeant
[B]Hi,

I am a noob to this.

I have stumbled accross some old Maxell RG01. DVDIdentifier info to follow…

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MXL RG01]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [MXL RG01]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x - (2x)]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3 MB = 4.38 GB]

1. The forum questions whether these are the best discs. Are they good? Does good mean they will last longer? I want longevity out of my burns with my Pioneer 106D. Speed is not an issue.

2. How do you interpret the PI & PO graphs? Is there a good web site that explains this?

Thanks. [/B]

1: Make sure that they are maxell branded(or states made in Japan)!!!. As there is a lot Hong Kong media with fake maxell ID!. Real maxells seems to be great :slight_smile:

2: I’m working on it, hopefully ready in a day or two.

Hi,

I didnt get the packaging as I bought a few off my mate’s spindle to be pleasantly surprised that they were maxells.

Without the packaging, how do I tell if they are fake or not? They are branded “Smart Disc 2X” and the only way I know they are Maxell G01s is the DVD Identifier tells me so.

They are bought in Australia.

I look forward to your explanation of the PI and PO.

Can never be sure, but spindle + smart disc = sounds cheap = probably fake hong kong discs.

Real maxell RG01 discs do also have a stright (not curved) serial number pressed into the plastic ( = not colored but pressied directly into the plastic) near the center hole. My discs have M5DB133B as the serial number. There is no other serial numbers whatsoever.

Most fake maxells have a serial number or some other printing close to the start of the DYE, Here is some info on the two fake types I have:

Fake type 1: “DVD-R 4.7GB 2X” printed near the dye and “IFPI AL02” stamped into the plastic near the center hole.

Fake type 2: “Development not for RE-SALES (02043111) DVD-R 003-043 BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB” printed near the dye and no other serial numbers.

Check here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80545