Maxell f16 or sony d21

vbimport

hi guys, i need to get some move dvd+rs i always buy 16x verbatim dvd+r but wanted to know if these discs are as good as there cheaper at the mo. maxell dvd+r (ritek f16) or sony dvd+r (d21)
i have seen some very good scans of the ritekf16 dye on this site but after the very bad ritek g05 dye i’ve never tried ritek dye since

I use Sony, quite often with little trouble.

i’m very instrested in what people think of the ritekf16 dye?

can anyone tell me how good ritekf16 dye is like and what the longtivty is like hope its not like the g05 dye?

I have both MIDs here, but I’ve burned lots of the Sony discs and only one or two of the F16s, so I can’t tell you what the F16s are like long-term.

[QUOTE=jedi_jay;2162806]can anyone tell me how good ritekf16 dye is like and what the longtivty is like hope its not like the g05 dye?[/QUOTE]

Ritek F16 media are made with Fujifilm Oxolife dye - one of the most stabile dye available on the present market.
I never had any bad experience with Ritek’s 16x media.:iagree:

I would actually recommend using both - very good for me and work well. As regards reliability, the F16 dye - and all other Ritek 16x dye’s - have been very stable and compatible for me, so don’t worry too much about that :slight_smile:

I think both technologies are great, but I’d probably buy the Sony before the Maxell discs. Sony seems to take a little more pride in their products.

[QUOTE=pepst;2162813]Ritek F16 media are made with Fujifilm Oxolife dye - one of the most stabile dye available on the present market.
I never had any bad experience with Ritek’s 16x media.:iagree:[/QUOTE]

That is only if you treat the dye right. Not to weak laser powers. (The combination of oxolife 16x + most recorders/standalones and old drives are not a good idea )

I’d go for Sony, unless the F16 stuff is a fair bit cheaper, then I would consider using some of that.

i’ve just found out the maxell dvd+r which i was told were f16 dye turn out to be [CMC MAG.M01](http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediadvdridsearch=CMC MAG.M01%20) are these any good? i have not used cmc dye in years

They’re excrement. Stable, mechanically sound excrement, but excrement nonetheless.

[QUOTE=tropic;2164632]They’re excrement. Stable, mechanically sound excrement, but excrement nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

LOL :bigsmile:

I like and use other CMC MIDs - E01, AM3…but I wouldn’t buy M01 again.

There are some media codes I consider worse than CMC MAG M01, like RITEK G05 and…thinking…hmmm…I’m sure there must be more. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, if you already have them why not try them out - a few of them are good (many are not).

If I had the choice I’d go for SONY D21 in a heartbeat.

Haven’t tried any RITEK F16 yet myself.

Stay away from RITEK F16. It’s stable, but like CMC MAG M01, burns horribly on a lot of burners. Many don’t have good firmware write strategies for it. Avoid. Go with Sony.

I’ve had relative success with RITEK F16 in LiteOn drives, and potentially in a Samsung and a Pioneer. They flop horribly in an LG drive [E40L], failing to even be finalized at speeds above 4x.

Comparably, all my drives can deal with SONY D21 at no lower a speed than 8x for usable burns. My LiteOn drives occasionally seem to find a way to produce a bad burn on them, but this has only been “recently” and with only 1 batch. All other burns have been fine unless I screwed it up.

If I just wanted a disc I knew should be reliable, I’d go for SONY D21 [or the -R variant, SONY16D1].