Maxell DVD+R CMC MAG M01 unreadable on some drives

Hello.

I ordered Maxell’s (200 on spindle) thinking that i will get RITEKF16, which i always had and was great, but unfortunately i got 200pcs of SH*T.
After record, disc was unreadable (several tests with different drives) and tests with discspeed had definately too much 00000000 (about 1000 max pie’s and 300-500 pif’s, what a disaster…)
I was trying different drives, and what i figured out, that not much, can write and read that properly. Its for example LG GH22LP20 1.03 or very old LiteOn 18A1P @ 20A1H LL0D. And when I burn some dvd on that LG or LiteOn - doesnt matter (tests with them, switching both, are very good - 20-50 PIE’s , 2-4 PIF’s) and now I’m trying on some different drive - for example - LiteOn IHAS 120 or very very very old 16H5S discs are completely unreadable (crc errors) with 1000 or more pie’s and 300-500 pif’s like i earlier wrote.
Can somebody explain that, cuz i dont understand it no more.
I will burn this 2x100 spindles for myself, cuz here at home its readable and with using only dedicated drives for this dvds, cuz other drives wont read it.
They have really nice quality tests:

I ask seller next time for MID, before i buy, and everybody avoid any CMC Magnetics crap media, or u will have to look drive that can burn it properly and if u have to use these dvds somewhere else u need that drive in your pocket cuz other probably will not read it lol
i have wasted 3 days for that damn it.

greetings

Most of the time, CMC MAG discs have been good to very good for me, in terms of longevity and playback on standalone players, at least - I’m talking about CMC MAG. AM3 and CMC MAG E01, though.

The M01’s I’ve used, on the other hand…playback on even the most tolerant player was a complete no-go, and scans/TRTs weren’t that good either.

You may like to search here in the Blank Media forum, there are quite a few threads about the CMC MAG M01 discs. :wink:

The first time i tried to burn M01s, they sucked big time (they were Staples branded I think, it was 2 years ago)
Now I burn them and the “seem” to be a little better.
Are you burning them at 16X?

I just noticed the scan was done at Max speed too, although I know some folk don’t object to that. :wink:

Yes, i searched forum, and read many threads about it earlier.
I burned with 16x or even more and smaller too - no difference.
quality tests with slower speed - no difference.
i always do like that and i thinks its ok, no any problems with any other media.
It just look like some drives accept this media and other wont, i dont know why, any bios upgrade (on these 2 liteons which wont read it) doesnt helped out, i see a lil better quality difference after i flashcrossed that 18a1p, but that wasnt worth it. These maxells after bios upgrade was burning fast, but after few discs they slowed down, 8mins for disc so its about 8x even if its set 16x or trying overspeed it.
i got eeprom utility with all options enabled.

My results with some TDK branded CMC MAG M01, burned at 8x though. Excellent results, and all discs scanned very similarly, and RTR’s were great. Maybe better production, Arachne :confused:

:EDIT: Burned in a Pioneer DVR-112 with Bufalo 8.25 firmware

[QUOTE=Kevatcrewe;2300319]…Maybe better production, [B][I]Arachne[/I][/B] :confused:
[/QUOTE]

Hehe, could be. I had to reburn all the TDK branded M01s I used as they kept freezing on playback (tried 8x and 12x, no difference). :frowning:

The M01 media code is one of the least consistent MIDs that CMC has ever produced: The good ones are really good; the bad ones are craptacular. Also, the compatibility of that MID varies widely from one burner to another: Even if one burner does a really good job of writing onto discs from one batch of the CMC MAG M01 MID, another burner does an abysmal job of writing onto discs from that very same batch of DVD+R discs.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2300325]Hehe, could be. I had to reburn all the TDK branded M01s I used as they kept freezing on playback (tried 8x and 12x, no difference). :([/QUOTE]

Hmm, craptacular methinks. Must admit though the recent TDK media I’ve tried has been far better quality than what I’ve had previously, so maybe TDK are increasing their quality standards :confused:

[QUOTE=Kevatcrewe;2300622]Hmm, craptacular methinks. Must admit though the recent TDK media I’ve tried has been far better quality than what I’ve had previously, so maybe TDK are increasing their quality standards :confused:[/QUOTE]

Could well be, I’d be interested in trying maybe a small pack of the newer TDK M01s to see if that’s the case. Have to hunt around :slight_smile:

[OT] The TDK AM3s I’ve used, OTOH…zero playback issues, lovely discs. :smiley: [/OT]

[QUOTE=Arachne;2300644]Could well be, I’d be interested in trying maybe a small pack of the newer TDK M01s to see if that’s the case. Have to hunt around :slight_smile:

[OT] The TDK AM3s I’ve used, OTOH…zero playback issues, lovely discs. :smiley: [/OT][/QUOTE]

I got my ten pack from a Market stall for £2.30, definately recommend you try to get some though. Was hoping they’d be TDK 003 but it doesn’t matter now lol. And agreed, CMC MAG AM3 are ok aswell.

I’ve had better luck with the AM3’s, too, but I’d just as soon recommend you give TDK branded DVDs a skip and buy something else.

[QUOTE=pcus3r;2299818]Hello.

I ordered Maxell’s (200 on spindle) thinking that i will get RITEKF16, which i always had and was great, but unfortunately i got 200pcs of SH*T.
[/QUOTE]

Just wrong.
You have a not reliable burner combined with medium quality media - so its your problem. Maybe even burned too fast too…

Try read it again… i wrote that i’ve tried at many burners (about ten) old, new - it doesnt matter.
Even if dvd is burned on some one and readable, on some other is just visible but not readable (crc errors, and many of red color).
I dont know what u mean by telling me too fast… that meaning doesnt exist for me, if media is good it doesnt matter.
Im not a type of guy who must go blind with watching of quality tests, but when i get 20-40 pie's / 2-4 pif's on brand A, and 40-80 on brand B - not much difference then. But when i get 400-1000 pie and 40-300pif's, i care then lol if ur thinking that its cause of burner then tell me what type of burner should be good for them. anyway still have yet about 50 of em, im testing every dvd after burn for the first time in my history with burning (xx yrs) - there will be about 20-50 dvds which will go to garbage (of 200 = 1/4 = very high, even cheapest dvds i used had not so much issues)
usually they get 40-80-160 at the end pie’s and 2-4 pif’s at all time, its not brilliant like ritekf16 when i had 20-30 pie’s at max. (always burning x16, and quality scan speed max too, and please dont tell me that is bcuz of burn speed or quality scan speed cuz i dont care about it, when other medias dont have any probs with it)