Maxell DVD-R 15pk Japan - are these good?

I got these at Office max, since the 10pks with jewel cases for 20 I heard about on this forum weren’t available.

Here is DVDInfo information about the disk… are these good disks? Or would I be better off with other disks? I have a NEC 2500A.

Thanks!!!

                        Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID MXL RG02
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 411107328
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 0A
2x Speed OPC power 0E
2x Write Strategy field 1 15 87 78 90
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 05
4x Speed OPC power 16
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 0F 0B 08
4x Write Strategy field 2 97 07 0E 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 A4 00 24 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 05
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 19
4x Write Strategy field 4 17 A8 89 75
4x Write Strategy field 5 C6 89 88 80 00 00
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

:bigsmile: :smiley: :iagree: :bow:

Is that enough?

Superb discs in your NEC (or in any other writer I’ve tested as well).

But still works at 4x tough - TY’s would have wrote at 8x :wink:

If you’re in the USA, you can get those MAxell spindles at Office Depot, they will be on sale from time to time, 2 for one.
WalMart and Walgreens will have the 10-pack in jewel case, also on sale sometimes.
TDK is also now selling some 4x -R made in Japan which will most likely be from the same factory.

Yeah, I saw the TDK ones at wallgreens, 5pk jewel cases, made in japan, for 12.99. :slight_smile: Office depo had no deals, I asked a manager. :sad:

I got the 15 pack for now cuz I don’t need 50 disks, smallest reasonably priced pack of TY available. Also, the prices may come down soon, when the 8X disks make 4X outdated… least I’m hopin :slight_smile: 15 should hold me over for now, I have 1gb free in my 200gb drive. lol.

Thanks for your input on this, you guys have been MOST helpful, both of you, in your responses to all my posts.

Oh yeah, and one more thing, you guys on this forum have really saved me from buying crappy media. Who’d know what’s better? They all look the same and are almost priced the same!!! THANKS :bow: :bow: :bow:

Next to the Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 4x sold under the brand of Fuji the Maxell DVD-R 4x made in Japan are the best I have used in either my Pioneer, Plextor or LiteOn drives. I like them very much.

Originally posted by dlathem
Next to the Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 4x sold under the brand of Fuji the Maxell DVD-R 4x made in Japan are the best I have used in either my Pioneer, Plextor or LiteOn drives. I like them very much.

Diddo…cept for the “Plextor” part…

It wont let me upload a pic of my burn scan… why? Says file is not valid GIF or JPG. I tried both, and it is within size, one I tried was 12kb jpg.

Originally posted by NetTechie
It wont let me upload a pic of my burn scan… why? Says file is not valid GIF or JPG. I tried both, and it is within size, one I tried was 12kb jpg.

Known problem. We are still trying to figure out what’s wrong.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
WalMart and Walgreens will have the 10-pack in jewel case, also on sale sometimes.

I had some shopping to do today, so stopped by the local Walmart and they indeed have Japanese-made 10-pk Maxell DVD-R’s, for $20. Sounds like a decent deal, Fuji at BestBuy cost $25.

But the DVD+R that they are selling are made in Taiwan - I gues I should stay away, even though DVD+R is supposedly a “better” standard (based on what I’ve read in the article on this site)?

Office Depot now has 15-ct spindles on sale, 2 for one, so you get 30 discs for about $27.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Office Depot now has 15-ct spindles on sale, 2 for one, so you get 30 discs for about $27.

I just saw this in the morning flyer. So far, I have had the best burns at 8x DVD+R in both my Plextor 708A (F/W 1.06) and my LiteOn 451@851 (F/W GSoF) with his Maxell media. I know it carries the same media code [JPNR01-002] as lots of other DVD+R 4x media, but it just works better.

The DVD-R 4x media (made in Japan) also burns almost a good as TY sold by Fuji in both of my machines.

I plan to pick up a few this afternoon.

I just ordered some online from officedepot, and I got 4 packs of each (+R and -R for a total of 60 each)…all my +Rs are Made in Japan (MXL RG02) but all my -R discs were made in Taiwan :frowning: Anyone know how good (or bad) those are? Or what they identify as? I’m thinking of just going to some random store, seeing if they have -R maxells made in japan, buying those, and then returning these in their stead.

Originally posted by Mage
I just ordered some online from officedepot, and I got 4 packs of each (+R and -R for a total of 60 each)…all my +Rs are Made in Japan (MXL RG02) but all my -R discs were made in Taiwan :frowning: Anyone know how good (or bad) those are? Or what they identify as? I’m thinking of just going to some random store, seeing if they have -R maxells made in japan, buying those, and then returning these in their stead.

You’re backwards, the -R is Japan, Maxell G02, and the +R is Ricoh JPNR01. Both should work very well.

You better look at them again…the -R’s are made in Japan (MXLRG02)…and the +R’s are made in Taiwan…not the other way around…

The +R’s are Ricohs and are generally very good media.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
You’re backwards, the -R is Japan, Maxell G02, and the +R is Ricoh JPNR01. Both should work very well.

Oops. Yeah, I got the +R and -R mixed up :o But, the +Rs say they’re made in taiwan on the plastic wrapping…they’re still Ricoh JPNR01’s?

Edit: tore open a pack and tested them, they are ricoh’s :bow:

(glad I ordered 180 of these!)