Maxell DVD-/+R 100s $29.00 In Canada

At Future Shop!

DVD+Rs MIJ

Make sure you look closely - I was at a Wal-Mart yesterday and they had them for C$27.77. Made in Taiwan, though. And don’t order from the website as you have no control over what they send you … and they don’t care which.

Good advice ftp1020!

I know that the maxells at walmart are made in Taiwan. I would guess that for futureshop it is the same, One of the reviewers remarked that now they sell the “Made in Taiwan” dvdrs.

I still want to buy the ones from futureshop cuz I need good cheap discs for basic burns.
I just don’t know whether I should buy the DVD-R or DVD+R?
I got a BenQ 1655.

So is there a difference between maxell’s DVD-R or DVD+R?

hope I did not hijack the thread.

DVD+Rs defiantly MIJ!

There are 2 types of Maxell +R circulating - The made in Taiwan are RITEK R03 (at least the +R kind), the MIJ are MAXELL002 - Honestly I think Maxell is worsening now. I have used them for years and always praised them, now they have totally gone down in quality, so basically you can either get a decent batch or a crappy one. I have gone from using Maxell to using only Taiyo Yuden now and would NEVER go back.

Although the Maxell MIJ (MXL0002) burn with decent PI counts they feature an extremely high PIF total, despite being well within specs, the PIF total is quite high, sometimes over 2000 and those are not good discs for long term archiving either. The RITEKR03 has a higher PI error rate but a better PIF total count. but still I would not rely on these for long term archival copies. When sold at $29.99 CD for 100 you begin to wonder if this is not surplus stock being sold out to unsuspecting customers… I would avoid those - I have personally had problems with the latest batches of Maxell anyways past mid 2004… Anything prior and Maxells were very decent. Now I am referring to the spindle of 100. The printable package of 15 are made in Japan as well and I have not had issues so far with those, they seem better in every aspect.

As long as they play in my dvd player I don’t really care about PIF!

thanks for the input greg42.

I will still purchase them cuz I want to cheap dvds for unimportant backups and copies. I will still go to the store tomorrow to check where they made in.

Right now it is almost impossible to buy a spindle of 100 DVD ±R that are not made in Taiwan. I checked walmart and staples.

I still think that for $29, it is no big risk.

You never know, that’s why it pays to look!

I still want to buy the ones from futureshop cuz I need good cheap discs for basic burns.
I just don’t know whether I should buy the DVD-R or DVD+R?
I got a BenQ 1655.

Truthfullly, I’ve never tried the MIJ Maxell DVD-R’s, although I’d like to. The DVD+R’s (Maxell002) burn just fine in my BenQ 1640 (and my Plextor). They don’t produce the prettiest graphs in CDSpeed, but they’re solid, totally reliable burns nonetheless.

So is there a difference between maxell’s DVD-R or DVD+R?

It’s about the same as Verbatim’s: the DVD+R’s produce somewhat nicer scans than the DVD-R’s, but both Verbatim and Maxell produce quality media in both DVD+R and DVD-R. I don’t really have a preference between DVD-R and DVD+R, other than DVD-R holding a (very) few megabytes more.

My best advice is to always buy on sale, and don’t buy more than 50 if you’re not certain how your burner will like a particular media. I’ve read posts of people who bought 200-spindles of “Dynex” or Kodak only to discover that their burner doesn’t like it.