Maxell Color

How would you guys rate the Maxell Color DVD-R discs?

I bought a 10 pack of them to go with my new(first) burner. But i don’t have anything to compare them to.
Money is something i don’t have unfortunatly, And these happen to be one of the cheapest Wal-Mart has.

Thanks.

The only Maxell Colors I’ve ever seen are 4x DVD+R and DVD-R, both made in Japan, in 5 slimcase packs, media codes YUDEN000 T01 and TYG01. They were nice media.
What’s the speed rating of your Maxell Color media?
Look up the media code with DVD Identifier and post it here, it could help us a lot… :iagree:
They could either be Taiyo Yuden (very good), Maxell Japan (very good), Ricoh (ok) or Ritek (:Z).

These are one of the most common ones Wal-Mart sells. When i buy Cd-r’s i usally buy the Maxell Color ones.

The write speed is 1x-16X
Dvd Indetifier says:
Manufacturer name: Ritek Corp.
Manufacturer ID: RitekF1

** INFO : Drive = PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111L - [FW 8.26]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-R-DL DVD-RW DVD-RAM
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:RITEKF1]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 22160 kBps (16.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #5 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
Descriptor #1 = 22160 kBps (16.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #5 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

kthx. RITEKF1 is not prone to degradation (older RITEKG04 and RITEKG05 were), but it suffers compatibility issues.

As long as they last along time i’ll be happy. I’d hate for my movies and other back ups to degrade or disappear anytime soon.
I’m happy with the quality so i guess thats all that counts.

and also if it’s not off topic could you recommend some descent cheap Dvd-r’s? The cheaper the better lol

Hi, make sure to do some Nero CD-DVD Speed testing of your dvd-burns in stead of blindly trusting them (and don’t go the cheap route with media - you’ll pay double in the end). :wink:

Verbatim DVD+R can be had for quite acceptable prices nowadays, they give you excellent burn quality without costing an arm and a leg :wink:
Just try to find the CMC flavor, it’s slightly better than Prodisc-made ones.
Sony Made in Japan can be ok too, but I’m not going to fully recommend any other brand anymore :disagree: (after my experiences with 16x TDK media)

What about Verbatim Dvd-R? Are they just as good as the +R?
Unfortunatly it’s the only format i can get my stand alone Dvd Player to accept.

Thanks for all the help

Have you tried bitsetting the +R yet?

I have a Pioneer 111D flashed to a 111L
I believe it has Automatic Bitsetting. I’m new to all this and not sure how bitsetting works and how it works on my burner. I’m still learning slowly.

The reason i know what my Dvd Player accepts(Panasonic Dvd r20) is from videohelp.com
You can look up your player and see what it accepts. People have tested various media on it and found not much works on it. Dvd-R was found to work the most.

When i bought my burner earlier this week i bought a couple cheap packages of discs just to test out my burner.

Besides the Maxell i bought a 5 pack of Imation Dvd-RW. Boy what a waste. They are awful. Picture quality is terrible and my panasonic wouldn’t even accept them. Only my Malata DVP-520 would accept them.

Unfortunatly i’m super broke at the moment and i won’t be buying any more discs anytime soon anyway. Just looking to the future, Maybe Christmas lol.

Are the Imation DVD-RW made in India or made in Taiwan? Which media code do they have?
(Just interested in it.)

sure no problem.

Manufacturer name: CMC Magnetics Corp
Manufacturer ID: CMCW03

** INFO : Drive = PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111L - [FW 8.26]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-R-DL DVD-RW DVD-RAM
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-RW:CMCW03]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 2770 kBps ( 2.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
Descriptor #1 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 2770 kBps ( 2.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

I see. Made in Taiwan. Pios are known for their traditionally bad CMC support. :frowning:
For the 111, the review is a good source of information on which discs are good.
Actually CMCW02 should perform well according to the review, as Imation is one of the A-grade CMC brands, just like Infiniti…

Interesting. According to that the best 2 seems to be the Verbatim MCC 03RG20
and Taiyo Yuden unbranded TYG02

That seems to be the main 2 i read about in different posts here. But i did read in a post that both of those brands may scratch easy.

I just read up on Bitsetting and finally understand what it’s all about. Maybe i’ll take your advise and buy some Dvd+R just to test it out.

It wasn’t as complicated as i was thinking it was

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150+bitsetting&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

http://www.signvideo.com/btst-d.htm

TYG02 scratches quite easily, yes, but MCC 03RG20 and MCC 02RG20 are both more scratch-resistant.

Here is something interesting. I went to my local Wal-Greens and they sell a 3 pack of Maxell Color Dvd+R for $2, So cheap they don’t even come with cases. I bought them just to test out the bitsetting. I’ll get some good stuff later.

That wasn’t the interesting part, This is lol,

Out of the 3 discs only 2 of them had the same logo scheme on the disc. So i checked them with Disc Identifier to see and they were made by 2 different manufactuers. And even different from the Manufactuer i posted above for the Dvd-R.

One of them was a CMC MAG M01
The other 2 are RICOHJPN R03

I wonder if these are bottom of the barrel stuff they send to places like Dollar stores?

The 2 Ricoh’s should be the better of the 3. I have had nothing but quality burns with Ricoh coded media.