Maxell CD-R 52x 700MB

I was at Frys the other day lookin’ for MIJ media, couldn’t find any. I didn’t need any DVD-R’s, so I decided to wait on those and search for MIJ’s somewhere else, at another time, but I needed CD-R’s, so I decided to go with these Maxells MIT. I’m never gonna get these again, dey burn alright, no problems there, but they SMELL WEIRD. THEY SMELL NASTY, EWW.

They’re probably Ritek. The ones I bought under the Ridata brand smell awful, but I’ve never seen Maxell branded ones smell like that.

The Maxell CDRs over here are indeed Ritek. Bought several spindles of them…they’re pretty good, although IIRC my LG 4167B was a bit finicky with them. :slight_smile:

Can’t say mine smelled that bad either, hehe.

/me sees another “disc sniffing” conversation coming up…:stuck_out_tongue:

Ritek? This is what Smart-Burn Media Check v3.1.16 reads on my Litey…

Drive Type = CD-RW    
     Disc Type = CDR
      Material = Phthalocyanine
       Lead In = 97:32:19
      Lead Out = 79:59:71

Nominal Capacity = 702.82MB
Manufacturer Maybe = Prodisc Technology Inc.
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 52X (Write)

Since you’re from the US, Prodisc doesn’t sound too unusual, hehe :slight_smile:

The company name looks and sounds sooooooooooo GENERIC, IMO. I’m guessing this company sucks.
@Arachne, where you at?

[QUOTE=Robert De Niro;2011254]Ritek? This is what Smart-Burn Media Check v3.1.16 reads on my Litey…[/QUOTE]As I said, I’ve had Ritek discs that smell awful, and have seen them often Maxell branded , so I thought that was the disc manufacturer. I’ve also had Maxell branded Prodisc, but without smell.

[QUOTE=Robert De Niro;2011312]The company name looks and sounds sooooooooooo GENERIC, IMO. I’m guessing this company sucks.
@Arachne, where you at?[/QUOTE]

I’m in the UK…but I’ve known Maxell DVD media manufactured by Prodisc show up in the US, so it kinda makes sense that they’d use Prodisc for some of their CDR media too. :slight_smile:

Prodisc actually make fairly good media IMO (they manufacture CDRs and MCC-code DVD media for Verbatim as well). :slight_smile: