Maxell 16X blank media

vbimport

I have been using Maxell DVD-R 8x 4.7GB with no problems for many years.

I now buy TY watershield printables for my final projects in movie/slide making and use the Maxells for experimenting with as I end up having to redo quite a few before I get what I want and hate to waste the watershields.

I ran out of the Maxells so I purchased a 50pack at Walgreens that were on sale. I was in my glory to have gotten a good buy and found some here in town.

The Maxells would NOT burn after I encoded in my Photo program nor when I opened Nero to burn some files on the computer.

I was wondering why??? I seen that they were 16X opposed to 8X but I burn Verbs and TY’s that are 16X???:sad:

My first guess would be that they are Made by Ritek, but there could be many reasons, maybe that media code is not in your firmware of your drive.

Run a tool and find the maker:

[B]- MXLRG04: [/B]you are golden! Made in Japan, authentic Maxell (I don’t think you will find these in the regular spindles, but I can dream)

[B]- ProdiscF02: [/B]Mediocre, but very very consistent. I got a spindle 2 weeks ago when they were on sale at OD, and all of my burners burn them with a quality score of 93 according to Nero. Strange thing, only one disc burned with a Samsung SH-S202J scored a 95, and one burned with a Benq 1655 scored a 90…

[B]- Ritek F1:[/B] Another spindle I got. Overall, they seem to be better media than the prodics, but much more inconsistent. Several of the score 98 and 99, but a few also score below 90 and I got one that scored a 50… :frowning: If you get a good batch you got good discs. Also, it is one of few media that burn at higher than 16x in the newer burners (The samsungs 20x burn them at 18x)

They are not used for important data. I will scan them again and find out longevity. Prodisc are a lighter gold, with the spacer being white solid foam. Riteks are a darker gold, with the foam spacer being “bubbly” foam.

Alex

There is also MXLRG04 MIT and those burn not as good as the MIJ ones. The MID for Maxell discs does not say where the discs are made.

[QUOTE=koba;2029375] The MID for Maxell discs does not say where the discs are made.[/QUOTE]

Yep,
Says n/a on that Maxell 16X one.

Guess I will just have to search here for what to buy in place of them for experiments so I don’t waste the more expensive (TY) ones.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Urlee;2029751]Yep,
Says n/a on that Maxell 16X one.

Guess I will just have to search here for what to buy in place of them for experiments so I don’t waste the more expensive (TY) ones.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Which burner do you have? It is likely that you have an older burner which cannot recognize any newer media that’s currently on the market.

For those in Australia, I found several 50pk’s of Maxell 16x DVD-R at The Reject Shop, yes that’s right, for $20. They look legit, they’re MIT, smooth top spindle with sans serif font (but very different to norm Prodisc). I guess that means they’re RitekF1?

As i already said MIT Maxell can be MXLRG04 or Ritek or any other MID. You cant tell from just looking at the place of origin. There are even Maxell discs around which are MIJ with Maxell MID but made by TY with TY stampers TY dye and TY style hub codes (results with these discs are not good).

Any idea what the Maxell spindles look like? Are there any distinguishing marks on the packaging between say MIT Maxell and Ritek-made ones?

I got out the magnifying glass and found some numbers such as:

PF02-3603-6286 under side of center hub

7066F1115-05903E13 on top side

Here is the ad:

Disk:

[QUOTE=Urlee;2030128]I got out the magnifying glass and found some numbers such as:

PF02-3603-6286 under side of center hub

7066F1115-05903E13 on top side

Here is the ad:

Disk:

[/QUOTE]

Those discs are Prodisc-made (ProdiscF02 MID). More likely, it’s your burner that’s to blame: The firmware that your drive is using does not support that MID or most of the other MIDs used on newer DVD discs on the market today.

How do I go about the firmware thingy?

I have never done anything like that.

[QUOTE=Urlee;2030732]How do I go about the firmware thingy?

I have never done anything like that.[/QUOTE]

How old is/are your CD/DVD burner(s)? If they’re more than, say, two years old, and you bought them without knowing the brand and model number, they will likely not properly support any newer media codes. Some will simply refuse to burn, while others will default to a 4x maximum burn speed using a generic write strategy.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2030830]How old is/are your CD/DVD burner(s)? If they’re more than, say, two years old, and you bought them without knowing the brand and model number, they will likely not properly support any newer media codes. Some will simply refuse to burn, while others will default to a 4x maximum burn speed using a generic write strategy.[/QUOTE]

The burner came with my Gateway computer in November, 2004.

It is a NEC DVD RW-3500AG

The NEC ND-3500AG supports ProdiscF02 media in the latest 2.1B firmware (maybe even earlier).

You can either download the official 2.1B firmware with a firmware flasher included (but which I can’t find a working link to right now) and just run the firmware flasher, or you can do the following:

Download the Liggy’s 3500 bitsetting firmware 2.1b from here and extract the 21bbt_orig.bin file.

Download the Binflash (Win32 GUI) firmware flasher a.k.a. NECWinFlash from here and extract the NECWinFlash.exe executable file.

Run NECWinFlash, select your NEC ND-3500AG drive, press the Flash button, select the 21bbt_orig.bin file, and the drive will be flashed to new firmware.

Reboot your computer.

DISCLAIMER: There is always a small risk that something goes wrong when flashing firmware and you will have to take responsibility for that risk yourself!

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2031792]The NEC ND-3500AG supports ProdiscF02 media in the latest 2.1B firmware (maybe even earlier).

You can either download the official 2.1B firmware with a firmware flasher included (but which I can’t find a working link to right now) and just run the firmware flasher, or you can do the following:

Download the Liggy’s 3500 bitsetting firmware 2.1b from here and extract the 21bbt_orig.bin file.

Download the Binflash (Win32 GUI) firmware flasher a.k.a. NECWinFlash from here and extract the NECWinFlash.exe executable file.

Run NECWinFlash, select your NEC ND-3500AG drive, press the Flash button, select the 21bbt_orig.bin file, and the drive will be flashed to new firmware.

Reboot your computer.

DISCLAIMER: There is always a small risk that something goes wrong when flashing firmware and you will have to take responsibility for that risk yourself![/QUOTE]

WOW! That is scary for me to go into. I shall keep this info etc. in the event I feel brave enough. (IF) Thank you.
My other alternative, order the disks of my choice (verbs for practice and other uses, TY Watershields for important projects) and if they both work, let it go as such. I just hope they are still around and don’t upgrade to a nonworking format.
I had already used the TY Watershield and Verb DataLifePlus with no problem so will order them again. The Verbs are printables, that is why I was wanting the Maxells (Nonprintables) for my unimportant cheaper to use ones.

[QUOTE=Urlee;2031848]WOW! [B]That is scary for me to go into.[/B] I shall keep this info etc. in the event I feel brave enough. (IF) Thank you.
My other alternative, order the disks of my choice (verbs for practice and other uses, TY Watershields for important projects) and if they both work, let it go as such. I just hope they are still around and don’t upgrade to a nonworking format.
I had already used the TY Watershield and Verb DataLifePlus with no problem so will order them again. The Verbs are printables, that is why I was wanting the Maxells (Nonprintables) for my unimportant cheaper to use ones.[/QUOTE]

:confused:
It is not that hard if you follow all steps carefully. :iagree: